How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Not to be a bean counter that ignores the evil that is still with us, but if I look strictly at the statistics for what I call the evil markers, crime, death by violence including war, poverty, poor health and
education; I see them all at the best levels we have ever enjoyed.

This is in spite of the few places where the stats are backsliding, which ironically includes the U.S., a Christian nation; whose
education level is going down, along with its moral sense.

I will let you find whatever stats you might be interested in and will only offer the stats spoken of, at the end of this link.

Richard Dawkins - Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLulcfyqrc0

I see our cup running over in spite of the vile and immoral mainstream religions that we are maintaining, for God only knows why. We can thank all the gods that the religious are not walking their talk and are following more moral ways.

How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full; or overflowing with goodness?

Regards
DL

5 hours ago, French Patriot said:

I see our cup running over in spite of the vile and immoral mainstream religions that we are maintaining, for God only knows why. We can thank all the gods that the religious are not walking their talk and are following more moral ways.

Regards
DL

LOL! There sure are a religious group walking their walk. I don't think I have to name them.

1 hour ago, French Patriot said:

You likely cannot name them.

You cannot be thinking of the homophobic and misogynous religions like Christianity and Islam.

Regards

DL

Whatever you say dude. Since you've already decided in your infinite wisdom I wont waste my time.

By the way, since you appear to be unaware of the fact, Christianity is not a religion, it's more of a moral philosophy based on religious beliefs. You can thank me later.

13 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Whatever you say dude. Since you've already decided in your infinite wisdom I wont waste my time.

By the way, since you appear to be unaware of the fact, Christianity is not a religion, it's more of a moral philosophy based on religious beliefs. You can thank me later.

I will thank you for the nothing you gave other than deflections and showing you cannot back what you say and are childish enough to blame me for your inadequacies.

Ok. Thanks for showing us your character.

Regards

DL

7 hours ago, French Patriot said:

I will thank you for the nothing you gave other than deflections and showing you cannot back what you say and are childish enough to blame me for your inadequacies.

Ok. Thanks for showing us your character.

Regards

DL

That's rich, considering you're the one who replied with a massive assumption based on nothing more than your own imagination. And yet another new member who's somewhat challenged, we've been getting a lot of you guys lately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 9:08 AM, French Patriot said:

To me the cup looks full of rotten grounds that need to be thrown out to make room for...just about anything would be better.

2 hours ago, French Patriot said:

You are not being a realist and are ignoring the stats.

Regards

DL

Don't get me wrong, my own stats are okay so I can't complain that way and in fact the more depressing the world gets the better my fortunes are likely to get.  I make my living providing access to wild natural places as well as lodging for travellers seeking refuge from a rotten troubled world.  Bookings are filling up so that cup seems comfortably full.

You said above...

It's governments and corporations walking that talk these days and if the cup is running over its like I said, it's full of rotten grounds and there's little room for anything else.

I don't see too many religions complaining, I guess so long as someone is trying to control us they're happy...God may very well know why - but she always was a fickle bitch and isn't saying...maybe there's something we're still missing.

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

I make my living providing access to wild natural places as well as lodging for travellers seeking refuge from a rotten troubled world.  Bookings are filling up so that cup

You make your living bringing people into places where they can only do more harm. Eco-tourism is yet another part of the problem, with tour guides such as yourself bringing boatloads of deluded city slickers to gawk at the last refuges of pristine wilderness. Just being there is a problem already. For as much as they "seek refuge", they bring that rotten troubled world with them. That's what we always do, and there's you taking em right in there. Oh well.

But hey, economics lookin pretty good, right?

12 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

You make your living bringing people into places where they can only do more harm. Eco-tourism is yet another part of the problem, with tour guides such as yourself bringing boatloads of deluded city slickers to gawk at the last refuges of pristine wilderness. Just being there is a problem already. For as much as they "seek refuge", they bring that rotten troubled world with them. That's what we always do, and there's you taking em right in there. Oh well.

But hey, economics lookin pretty good, right?

This reminds me of getting lambasted for showing up at the climate change rally in a car - a little economic success on the side must mean you're a hypocrite.  But yeah I do get to eat my cake too thank you very much.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, eyeball said:

I don't see too many religions complaining, I guess so long as someone is trying to control us they're happy...God may very well know why - but she always was a fickle bitch and isn't saying...maybe there's something we're still missing.

Not too surprising seeing as most immorality these days are being pushed by the vile homophobic and misogynous religions like Christianity and Islam.

Regards

DL

22 hours ago, eyeball said:

This reminds me of getting lambasted for showing up at the climate change rally in a car - a little economic success on the side must mean you're a hypocrite.  But yeah I do get to eat my cake too thank you very much.

Eco-tourism is recognized as a serious and growing problem. There is no need for me to prove that. I hope you make sure those city slickers don't trample on any nests, and stuff.
The environment needs to be protected entirely from human intervention. People who love nature should watch from a distance, preferably on TV. Don't go there. If eco-tourism grows it will only harm the very environment they seek to preserve.

And this demonstrates a larger point about our ignorance. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Eco-tourism is recognized as a serious and growing problem. There is no need for me to prove that.

You better believe it is. Every boatload of people I take out become advocates for protecting more of the world's wild places from anymore economic development. People are fed up as they say.

I hope you make sure those city slickers don't trample on any nests, and stuff.

I'm trained and certified. It probably won't be long until people are required to hire someone like myself before they're allowed to wander off on their own into the wilderness. 

The environment needs to be protected entirely from human intervention.

No, that intervention just needs to be appropriately managed in a manner that protects the environment.  Hence trained qualified people and stuff.

People who love nature should watch from a distance, preferably on TV. Don't go there. If eco-tourism grows it will only harm the very environment they seek to preserve.

And this demonstrates a larger point about our ignorance. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Yup, if nobody moves nothing gets hurt.  One way to stop the growth of eco-tourism and protect the environment even more is is to stop the economy from growing.  Your suggestion that everyone should stay at home and watch TV would probably go a long way.  I'll have to leave it up to you to figure out how to pay for all that sitting around and doing nothing though.  I'm just a little too ignorant for that question I'm afraid. 

In the meantime I have to go cut up a couple trees for firewood so maybe you'll have it figured out by the time I get home.  Firewood is $250 - $300 a cord right here in the middle of a wilderness rain-forest these days so I can't afford to just sit around.  That said I noticed a crackling fire on the Ambience channel on TV the other day so...you really might be onto something here.

Edited by eyeball

8 hours ago, eyeball said:

One way to stop the growth of eco-tourism and protect the environment even more is is to stop the economy from growing.  Your suggestion that everyone should stay at home and watch TV would probably go a long way.  I'll have to leave it up to you to figure out how to pay for all that sitting around and doing nothing though. 

Economy ain't never going to be stopped. That much should be clear. We've been ignoring warnings about the environment and mass extinction for decades, and its not even part of serious discussion. There is no serious discussion, nonsense has enslaved peoples minds. Hence, thy moral cup is empty. Or not empty, but full of shit.

23 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Economy ain't never going to be stopped. That much should be clear. We've been ignoring warnings about the environment and mass extinction for decades, and its not even part of serious discussion. There is no serious discussion, nonsense has enslaved peoples minds. Hence, thy moral cup is empty. Or not empty, but full of shit.

There's been lots of serious discussion, much of it ignored by the likes of people who would rather nonsensically point at other people's morality, aka whataboutism, instead of attending to their own.

There's a difference between virtue signalling and acting virtuously.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1