The democrats

Yes, it's clear that the masses weren't intended to elect the president. I am not arguing with you in that respect. But your statement above was that a popular election for president would allow the foreign influence/meddling. he was afraid that would happen if CONGRESS were to elect him. Not the people.

A popular election was not considered. This isn't because they were afraid of the meddling aspect, but because it wasn't possible. Besides, if you read Article I Section 2, it's clear that the election of congressmen, as well, were only done by propertied voters. With that sentence in the constitution, there was no reason to worry about a popular presidential election.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

3 hours ago, Truth Detector said:

I agree with you mostly.  Trump did tap into voters unsatisfied with both parties, particularly in the rust belt that felt they’ve been ignored for a while by republicans and democrats.  The most important question the political class should be asking when it comes to the support Trump received in 2016, is how did both parties and a system fail so many people badly enough over the decades that they felt voting for Trump was their only recourse?  I haven’t seen much introspection from either party.  Just a lot of stereotyping and name calling.

Yes...Trump was the big F.U. protest vote, but the Democrats had a counter in Bernie Sanders...then the DNC and Team Hillary collusion screwed Bernie out of the nomination.

Both major parties are fading....Trump has not expanded beyond his base, and Democrats are losing support with millennials.

...So it may take liberals by surprise to hear that a recent Reuters/Ipsos mega poll of 16,000 respondents, found that the Democrats are losing ground with millennials. While millennials still prefer the Democratic party over the Republicans, that support is tanking. In just two years, it dropped sharply from 55% to 46%. Meanwhile, their support for Republicans has remained roughly stable in the past two years, falling from 28% to 27%.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/24/democrats-losing-millennial-vote-change-message

The Democrats are not a party for the people, their one and only priority is to oppose Trump no matter what.  Did you know last week,  the House Republicans  voted to pay federal employees their 1st paycheck of 2019, despite shutdown but only 6 democrats voted with them, so It failed.

6 minutes ago, scribblet said:

The Democrats are not a party for the people, their one and only priority is to oppose Trump no matter what.  Did you know last week,  the House Republicans  voted to pay federal employees their 1st paycheck of 2019, despite shutdown but only 6 democrats voted with them, so It failed.

Cite

Would that bill have made it to the Senate floor? There have been several attempts by the House to re-open government. 

But you can't use the threat of a shutdown on unrelated departments to get your way on issues only pertaining to one. See Mitch McConnell's reaction to the Dems attempt to shut down the government to protect DACA. 

And BTW how is the Dems reaction any different from the obstructionist measures the GOP took under Obama. They freakin' held up his Supreme Court nominee for a whole year!!!

Edited by Boges

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/425858-house-rejects-gop-measure-to-pay-workers-but-not-open-government

From what I've seen the Dem obstructionism is far beyond anything the GOP did, sure both parties do it but the pathological hatred  in the age of Trump is far worse then before and certainly to a much higher degree.   Did anyone imagine that all rules of civility, honesty and integrity would collapse to the point of destroying children because of Trump hatred. 

17 minutes ago, scribblet said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/425858-house-rejects-gop-measure-to-pay-workers-but-not-open-government

From what I've seen the Dem obstructionism is far beyond anything the GOP did, sure both parties do it but the pathological hatred  in the age of Trump is far worse then before and certainly to a much higher degree.   Did anyone imagine that all rules of civility, honesty and integrity would collapse to the point of destroying children because of Trump hatred. 

They've been in power of the House for 3 weeks! Check your bias at the door.

The GOP also shut down the government during the Obama Admin to try and gut Obama Care. Only they folded when they realized it was a losing battle. This lot of Republicans are either too stupid, amoral or stubborn to realize they aren't winning this fight. Show me any polling data, anywhere, that shows opinion blaming the Dems for this Shutdown and not Trump. 

Trump did this on his own. The Senate passed a CR 100-0. He's cow-towing to the Fringe Right-Wing Base. 

10 minutes ago, Boges said:

They've been in power of the House for 3 weeks! Check your bias at the door.

They've been obstructing ever since Trump took office, Kavanaugh is one example    Obstructing because they really do mean to say  “He’s not my president,”    Because of that they continually  refuse to extend even routine cooperation  needed for basic gov't to function properly. 

Edited by scribblet

Kavanaugh wasn't obstructed. He got in, even though he showed that he is totally unfit for office with his wild conspiracy claims that Hillary is out to get him. You must be thinking of Merrick Garland.

It's pretty funny to hear Republicans whine about the opposition party obstructing the president after eight years of Obama though. They really have no self-awareness at all. :lol:

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

They've been obstructing ever since Trump took office, Kavanaugh is one example    Obstructing because they really do mean to say  “He’s not my president,”    Because of that they continually  refuse to extend even routine cooperation  needed for basic gov't to function properly. 

The GOP did the same thing. I think what happened to Garland is way more obstructionist than Kavanaugh. 

The irony of this whole Shut Down is that it became a dire need to build the "wall" on the Eve of the Dems taking back the House. He could have used this same type of "leverage" on any number of bills in the past two years. But now they have an enemy in Nancy Pelosi. 

Edited by Boges

59 minutes ago, Boges said:

The GOP did the same thing. I think what happened to Garland is way more obstructionist than Kavanaugh. 

The irony of this whole Shut Down is that it became a dire need to build the "wall" on the Eve of the Dems taking back the House. He could have used this same type of "leverage" on any number of bills in the past two years. But now they have an enemy in Nancy Pelosi. 

It's also ironic because border security is suffering from people not getting paid. It's almost like that was never their concern at all.

3 hours ago, Boges said:

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

She's the new big Fox News Bugaboo. 

I hope Cortez wins the Dem nomination.  She’s a big “fuck you” to all mob populists, super rich, and the alt right.  She’s smart and progressive.  Doesn’t hurt that she’s cute.  She wants to tax annual earnings over 10 million a year at 70% to pay for “commie snowflake nanny” items like health care and education.  Good for her.  

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

So does this mean fighting commies over there so you wouldn't have to fight them here didn't work?

Now what?

Make her President. She'll save all of us by taxing the rich at 70%. 

"Leave??? Why would they leave??? I only want 70% of their hard earned money."

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Make her President. She'll save all of us by taxing the rich at 70%. 

"Leave??? Why would they leave??? I only want 70% of their hard earned money."

How would you feel if she wanted that 70% to fight commies and Islam?  That it wasn't enough?

Just now, eyeball said:

How would you feel if she wanted that 70% to fight commies and Islam?  That it wasn't enough?

A fantasy... 

The world is a carousel of color,
Wonderful, wonderful color.
The world is a carousel of color,
History, comedy, fantasy,
There’s drama and mirth,
There’s old mother Earth
With all of her secrets to see.

I liked the Wonderful World of Disney as a kid, too.

28 minutes ago, Boges said:

70% above $10 million. At least be honest when you're fear mongering. 

You're free to tax the evil rich to punish them for success. I'm sure you're correct and they'll just let you do that rather than moving their assets elsewhere...safe.