What is Wrong With the United State?

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Could float above the clouds at about fifty miles above Venus, but not sure what the point would be.  Mind you, I don't see a point in the ferrous wasteland of Mars neither.

Water...lots of water.

But we'd need to live (slightly) underground for the most part. Shielded from the ultraviolet rays.

Doable...and it will be done provided civilization doesn't collapse in a fit of Islam.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Water...lots of water.

But we'd need to live (slightly) underground for the most part. Shielded from the ultraviolet rays.

Doable...and it will be done provided civilization doesn't collapse in a fit of Islam.

Live underground on Mars.   That doesn't seem very interesting.    Pass.

Just now, Dougie93 said:

Tesla comes to the market everyday mooching around for money, they got problems, they are going to get shorted soon.

It's always amusing when folks get upset for paying for something that they never paid a dime for anyways.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's always amusing when folks get upset for paying for something that they never paid a dime for anyways.

I don't get upset.  Don't drive angry.  I'm not shorting Tesla yet, I'll wait until the votes start to come in it's clear Tesla is going down, then I'll pounce.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Bear in mind, all Elon Musk ever did was sell his stake in a company for which he was overpaid.

He's not a genius, he's not even that smart, he's a celebrity Himbo, like a Justin Trudeau.

Of course you're smarter than Elon Musk. I mean, how could you not be?

On 1/19/2019 at 1:47 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

You don't demonstrate a basic knowledge of how the U.S. government works. Presidents don't have "emergency powers" as they do in some other democracies. This isn't Star Wars episode II after all. We don't vote emergency powers to the president. Congress (not the president) can suspend habeas corpus, IF and ONLY IF the United States is in imminent danger of invasion or rebellion. Flip through the constitution, you'll find nothing about emergency powers like that.

As I understand it, the Canadian PM usually doesn't have much "trouble" passing legislation. The parliamentary system relies on force, whereas a presidential system requires compromise. Your PM has weapons at his disposal the likes of which even Richard Nixon could only dream.

Presidents do have a lot of power, but the constitution denies him the authority to actually legislate. He can propose legislation (recommend to Congress measures for their consideration). He can influence the legislative process somewhat. He can approve legislation, or even prevent it from coming into being via the veto (which Congress can override by 2/3 vote btw.) But he cannot ever, ever MAKE the law or dictate legislation. Anything he recommends to congress can come back to his desk completely changed by Congress, even when both houses are from the same party as the president. It's called separation of powers and it's done like that for a good reason. He's called the president--and not the Supreme Chancellor--for a reason.

I think some of you need to do a little more research on the United States and its government. You mentioned some facts, but you don't have it quite right.

Really? so it hasn't been floated that Trump could declare an Emergency and use DOD funding to get a wall built. 

You'd think it'd get challenged in court immediately but many seem to think that's the only way out of this issue. 

22 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If such matters are so common, then they are not problems at all.   Not once in my life have I lamented the lack of a "bullet train".   Is my life in America less because of this gaping transportation void ?    I guess I will just have to fly on modern turbofan powered aircraft...such a hardship !

You seem to be a perfect example of another problem that afflicts the US; that of the smug attitude that is the US doesn't have it then it is not needed.  The UK long held the same attitude as it slowly went down the drain.  Enjoy watching the rest of the world pass you by.

22 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

What ?   This doesn't even make any sense.   All those other nations have lost population to emigres who have fled to the USA....#1 destination in the world.   I guess bullet trains did not impress them very much.

Don't care if you agree or not....you are wrong on many points...in this thread.

Except, rather sadly, you have yet to refute any of them.  Post again if and when you can actually think of an intelligent comment. 

1 minute ago, Iznogoud said:

You seem to be a perfect example of another problem that afflicts the US; that of the smug attitude that is the US doesn't have it then it is not needed.  The UK long held the same attitude as it slowly went down the drain.  Enjoy watching the rest of the world pass you by.

We will...better to have been the world's lone superpower and lost, than never to have been one at all.   Smug enough for ya ?

Just now, Iznogoud said:

Except, rather sadly, you have yet to refute any of them.  Post again if and when you can actually think of an intelligent comment. 

Refuted every day by millions of legal and illegal immigrants who have chosen the United States over China, Japan, and Canada..for over 100 years.    So many problems !

Sorry, but you failed to address a single point with that post.  That is like claiming the Dominican Republic is perfect because Haitians try to sneak into the country. 

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/08/13/between-hope-hate-help-haitians-in-the-dominican-republic/

10 minutes ago, Iznogoud said:

Sorry, but you failed to address a single point with that post.  That is like claiming the Dominican Republic is perfect because Haitians try to sneak into the country. 

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/08/13/between-hope-hate-help-haitians-in-the-dominican-republic/

No, it clearly frames your "problems" in a far more practical context....nobody emigrates to ride a "bullet train".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

On 1/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

No, it clearly frames your "problems" in a far more practical context....nobody emigrates to ride a "bullet train".

Typical stupid answer, but once again a complete failure to address the topic.  But here, I'll give you a chance.  Refute just one of these problems. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/asce-gives-us-infrastructure-a-d-2017-3#energy-d-5

On 1/20/2019 at 11:36 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

We will...better to have been the world's lone superpower and lost, than never to have been one at all.   Smug enough for ya ?

Using the British as a measuring stick? British Empire; Treaty of Paris 1763 to withdraw from East of Suez 1968; 205 years.

Empire of Liberty from 1919?   You've only got another hundred years or so, better get your affairs in order. lol