Term limits on Congress

Ted Cruz's latest political stunt---see? I criticize the Right too!---is the introduction of a constitutional amendment to force term limits on Congress. It's obviously a political popularity stunt. When it fails (and it will) they will be able to say "Oh, we tried!" and get the popularity from it by feigning disgust, even though Sen. Cruz and Rep. Rooney obviously benefit from the lack of term limits.

Better to end gerrymandering in the House of Representatives. The Senate was intended to be full of people who would stay a little longer and have a more long-term view. That's fine. You need some longer-serving politicians to have enough of a power base to be able to check the power of the presidency.

15 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Ted Cruz's latest political stunt---see? I criticize the Right too!---is the introduction of a constitutional amendment to force term limits on Congress. It's obviously a political popularity stunt. When it fails (and it will) they will be able to say "Oh, we tried!" and get the popularity from it by feigning disgust, even though Sen. Cruz and Rep. Rooney obviously benefit from the lack of term limits.

Better to end gerrymandering in the House of Representatives. The Senate was intended to be full of people who would stay a little longer and have a more long-term view. That's fine. You need some longer-serving politicians to have enough of a power base to be able to check the power of the presidency.

I think Senators should be elected for one 6 year term, and then have the opportunity to be elected to a 2nd term of 12 years. After that, they're out. Not having to think about the next election and being there for 12 years would allow a long term view and allow independence from the party apparatus which would not be able to entice them with funding/publicity for the next election cycle. The first 6 year term would be long enough for voters to decide based on their record whether they are worth voting in for 12 years. 

I think that's way too long to wait to vote someone out who's terrible. don't forget, the party isn't their only source of money. Many of these federal politicians have built up a power base independent of parties. It's the difference between the US and parliamentary systems, for example.

Interesting, but I don't see how you can impose a term limit on elected officials, that is up to the people.   I know the President has only two terms but that seems reasonable to be considering his power. 

In the same vein, the Dems. are putting forward an amendment to eliminate the Electoral College, not surprising after the last election.  

Then there's the New Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib  getting classy -  Going to Impeach the Motherf*cker!’

Edited by scribblet
  • Like 1