What do we do about Muslims?

Argus

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Buddhists are seen as peaceful,

I'm sure the Rohingya Muslims will be happy to hear that. 

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Well, sorry to point it out, but that was seen as Indians attacking Indians because of Indian politics.

There were only 24 Indians out of 329 people on board Air India and 268 of the victims were Canadians and 27 Brits. It is the worst terrorist attack against Canadians in history.

My point is, the world, including Canada, has a few evil people, some of whom are Muslim, some are Christian, Jewish, Hindi Buddhist and Sikh. Remember the massacre at the Mosque in Montreal? Most people of all these religions are good people. It is wrong to single out one religion or the other based on the actions of a few wingnuts. It is the same as calling me a racist because I am a conservative.

Anyway, Happy New Year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bcsapper said:

The pipleline/energy issue is the only one I can see doing damage right now.

Immigration is way worse.  The pipeline issue has no real enemy, although there's a lot of money coming in to promote the idea that Trudeau wants to shut them down.

Lies about Muslims appeared in the Toronto Sun and Sue Ann Levy was admonished for actually publishing LIES.  No one bats an eye that she is still there.

15 hours ago, Argus said:

Everything has become political that didn't used to be and which should not be. Immigration should not be a political topic, nor pipelines nor climate change. People seize on a position and embrace it as if it were a religious artifact they must protect at all costs. I'm willing to compromise on all these things but I see little interest in compromise from the other side.

Don't look for compromise from the other side - it's too late for that.  Try to come up with a way to establish FACTS from which compromise can be negotiated.

13 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I'm sure the Rohingya Muslims will be happy to hear that. 

Myanmar is a dictatorship and comes down harshly on any community which resists directives. The rural Rohingya are not so much being persecuted for being Muslims as for having a representative armed group resisting the government. In any event, we're talking about public perceptions based on repeated attacks on westerners.

There were only 24 Indians out of 329 people on board Air India and 268 of the victims were Canadians and 27 Brits. It is the worst terrorist attack against Canadians in history.

I'm fairly sure almost everyone there, whether they had Canadian citizenship or not, was born in India. That was certainly my impression at the time, and, I believe, the impression of most Canadians.

My point is, the world, including Canada, has a few evil people, some of whom are Muslim, some are Christian, Jewish, Hindi Buddhist and Sikh. Remember the massacre at the Mosque in Montreal? Most people of all these religions are good people. It is wrong to single out one religion or the other based on the actions of a few wingnuts. It is the same as calling me a racist because I am a conservative.

Why is it wrong to be suspicious of  a community which ascribes to a religion which says everyone is inferior to believers, and that believers have the right to do as they wish to anyone not a believer, by whatever means of violence they are capable of dealing out?

• 4 weeks later...

This was an interesting read. It's about what the author describes as one of the world's most moderate Muslim countries; Malaysia. And the moderate party that runs it. But even so, Malaysia is stepped in antisemitism. Why? Malaysia has no Jews and hasn't had any in a long time. But Malaysia is a Muslim state and Islam is virulently antisemitic. And this is the kind of sentiment being brought to Canada by approximately 100,000 Muslim immigrants each year, none of whom are even asked any questions about what they might think of Jews or Christians or anything else about their values.

My point is this, though. You can search for as long as you like through the 50-odd countries of the world governed by Islamic parties and you will not find one as moderate and amenable as Pakatan Harapan in Malaysia. And yet even here we find a rich and vibrant core of energetic Jew-hating. Not just Israel-hating, although of course the two dispositions sometimes merge imperceptibly. But Jew-hating. And remember, the Malays have no cause to hate Israel, other than one which is devolved from the religious basis which underpins the country and society. No Malays were displaced from what we have come to call ‘Palestine’ in 1948. Jerusalem is 4,490 miles distant from that hideous bookshop at Langkawi airport.

The hatred, then, is not contingent. It is truly an article of faith and you will find it in all Islamic countries, and now in those countries where Islamic immigrants have made their home. The left will tell you it ain’t so. It’s time the left woke up.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/even-in-moderate-malaysia-anti-semitism-is-rife/

Edited by Argus

• 3 months later...

This from Quillette, a review of Identity, Islam, and the Twilight of Liberal Values by Terri Murray

After the collapse of the totalitarian Communist regimes in 1989-91, Francis Fukuyama famously wrote in The End of History and the Last Man that “we may have reached the end of mankind’s ideological evolution and the universalization of Western liberal democracy as the final form of government.” Terri Murray begins Identity, Islam and the Twilight of Liberal Values by arguing that Fukuyama’s optimism was premature, because the rise of religious fundamentalism—especially radical Islam—has become a powerful bulwark against the spread of liberal democracy. Rather than exposing and opposing the damage done by Islamism in the West, soi disant liberals, leftists, and progressives have acted as its supporters and cheerleaders. Murray instead labels them as “pseudo-liberals” and the “regressive Left” as a result of their abandonment of bedrock liberal principles, and progressive and secular values.

https://quillette.com/2019/05/20/identity-islam-and-the-twilight-of-liberal-values-a-review/

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, freespeechforall said:

Nothing! Muslims have the right to call Canada their home just like everybody else!

What exactly are you responding to? Yes, the question above is general, but the issues raised are more specific. 

Do nothing about the current influx of Muslim immigrants? Don't bother to question them on their values or try to determine how well they will fit in?

Edited by Argus

Well, here's one thing we can do with Muslims:  Rule against misogynistic traditions like this

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/victory-for-b-c-sisters-whose-parents-willed-them-tiny-share-of-9m-estate-1.5218792

Judge changes wills after Nahar and Nihal Litt left 93% of their estate to 2 sons

When they died three years ago, Nahar and Nihal Litt left behind an estate valued at more than $9 million. They willed 93 per cent of that to their two sons, leaving their four daughters to split what was left.

That's despite the fact that the daughters, now in their 50s and 60s, took on most of the work of caring for their aging parents in the years before they died, according to a B.C. Supreme Court judgment. They also helped build their parents' fortune, working on family-owned farms beginning when they were children.

This week, Justice Elaine Adair agreed to redistribute the Litt estate, granting about $1.35 million to each of the sisters: Jasbinder Kaur Grewal, Mohinder Kaur Litt-Grewal, Amarjit Kaur Gottenbos and Inderjit Kaur Sidhu.

The difference, according to the daughters, is that they were expected to take care of household chores, while their brothers were not. They testified that, as girls, they were treated as less valuable.

"There is little doubt that Nihal, over her lifetime and without justification, treated her daughters very cruelly. Jasbinder and Mohinder, the two oldest, were particular targets," Adair wrote.

"The hurts were deep and are still keenly felt."

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The problem with muslim people it is not immigration or Arabe. The problem it is islamic ideology (you can say there are many islamic theologies but the one that dominates is in my opinion a theolgy that is close to Abou Bakr Al-Baghdadi)  integrist group and islamo-collabo (this it is not a name so serious and you can contest its releance but when you support a groupe like Muslim Brotherhood and you do intellectual terrorism with an anti-racist rant by minimizing the seriousness of something quite serious you are for me an islamo-collabo).