Will Canada follow through and extradite Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou?

1 hour ago, paxamericana said:

Canada is where the corrupt rich chinese who benefited from their position deposit their money. So in fact they don't care about Canada's money. Its the reverse, Canada cares about chinese money.

Look, its not like we hate Canada, we just find it amusing to provoke the sort of anti-american sentiment you are referring to because Canada (and the rest of western Europe for that matter) won't admit to its utter dependence on us while simultaneously loathing its own powerless position in the world.  Its more like hazing a little brother.

No, Canada was a wealthy country long before any Chinese money came here   If anything we’re trying to reverse the trend with policy like the foreign buyer’s tax, since offshore money has driven up home prices.  Thanks but no thanks.  

The sad part is that even Americans seem powerless to prevent the problems that America causes.  A stat was just released that this past year there were 40000 deaths by shooting in the US.  It’s absolutely twisted, but Trump will prostrate himself before the NRA as predictably as every Republican before him. The US has power because we’ve bought into the order the Allies established after WW2.  The US complains that it has borne too high a cost to maintain NATO, but the US chose to overspend on its military.  Some of the problems that countries like Canada are paying for, e.g. the refugee crisis, are largely the result of failed US military adventures.  NATO was called upon to support the US after 911.  There are many great things about the US, but the problems are overshadowing the virtues these days.  Of course we’ve seen this film before: Vietnam, Iraq...It’s a hamster’s wheel. 

Do you want us to play the corruption game and trade Meng for the Canadians in China, ignoring the courts?  Nothing has to be the way it is. We’ve acted in good faith.  We know China hasn’t.  Has the US?

Edited by Zeitgeist

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Do you want us to play the corruption game and trade Meng for the Canadians in China, ignoring the courts?  Nothing has to be the way it is. We’ve acted in good faith.  We know China hasn’t.  Has the US?

Canada has not always acted in good faith....tariffs, dumping, IP theft, transshipments, etc.

53 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

A stat was just released that this past year there were 40000 deaths by shooting in the US. 

Yeah and 2/3  of those deaths are suicide so I'm guessing us evil republicans are responsible for that too?  Stop buying what the fake news is trying to tell you.

And second, just because someone is capable of doing evil through the misuse of a tool doesn't mean I'm responsible for it nor does it trump might right to own said tool.

Telling people to give up their gun because someone is misusing it is like saying since some men are capable of raping people lets remove all male appendages capable of said use.

Edited by paxamericana
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

Yeah and 2/3  of those deaths are suicide so I'm guessing us evil republicans are responsible for that too?  Stop buying what the fake news is trying to tell you.

And second, just because someone is capable of doing evil through the misuse of a tool doesn't mean I'm responsible for it nor does it trump might right to own said tool.

Telling people to give up their gun because someone is misusing it is like saying since some men are capable of raping people lets remove all male appendages capable of said use.

The results of a domestic dispute can be altogether different when there’s a gun around. It makes killing too easy. 

10 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Extradition requests like this are complied with in good faith. If the US undermines trust by politicizing extradition as Trump has done here then the process will break down. 

Not necessarily...Canada refused extradition of a convicted sex offender to the U.S. not long ago.

Each nation has its own version of "good faith".

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not necessarily...Canada refused extradition of a convicted sex offender to the U.S. not long ago.

Each nation has its own version of "good faith".

There will always be individual examples like that but what one can’t tolerate is politicisation of the legal process in such cases. If that becomes accepted we’re going down the Chinese route. 

12 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

There will always be individual examples like that but what one can’t tolerate is politicisation of the legal process in such cases. If that becomes accepted we’re going down the Chinese route. 

Too late for that....extradition has already been politicized for domestic and international gain.   USA, Canada, China...makes little difference....each have their own axes to grind.

Edited to add that there is no reason to get extra excited just because a Chinese national is the subject of extradition and retaliation involves Canadian nationals.   "Good faith" is not dependent on that either.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The results of a domestic dispute can be altogether different when there’s a gun around. It makes killing too easy. 

Yeah? And how many time does this happen to justify public policy on? So if we get one case a year that is too many so lets ban all guns. More people die from blunt force trauma by hammers and fist then getting killed by rifles let alone a subset of rifles called "assault rifles" . So what now, are you going to ban fist too? I suggest pick a different social justice issue to pursue. 

55 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

Yeah? And how many time does this happen to justify public policy on? So if we get one case a year that is too many so lets ban all guns. More people die from blunt force trauma by hammers and fist then getting killed by rifles let alone a subset of rifles called "assault rifles" . So what now, are you going to ban fist too? I suggest pick a different social justice issue to pursue. 

I think banning handguns is a great idea.  Hunting rifles, after careful screening, are fine. 

This guy gets it...Trudeau and his Sunshine Band do not...when it comes to such matters.    Blindly trusting "good faith" and naive inexperience have led Canada to this "botched affair".

Just...plain...dumb.....

We were part of the British Empire. Our soldiers went to fight in the First World War when we weren't even really a country. We then emerged after World War Two as part of the U.S. Empire, independent, but still we basically aligned with the U.S. on most issues.

And the last 30 years of being part of Canada U.S. Free Trade Agreement and NAFTA has further intensified our economic integration. All of a sudden, all of that is up for grabs. We've never before seen the degree of animosity from the United States that we've seen from President Trump to Canada, to Canada's business practices, and to Canada's prime ministers.

And now, we find ourselves with no friends. We criticize Saudi Arabia for things for which they rightly deserve criticism. None of our ostensible allies, open democracies and countries that rely on rule of law, spoke out in our favour and now we're in a wedge with China.  

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/why-former-foreign-minister-john-manley-thinks-canada-botched-huawei-affair-1.4946539

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

This guy gets it...Trudeau and his Sunshine Band do not...when it comes to such matters.    Blindly trusting "good faith" and naive inexperience have led Canada to this "botched affair".

Just...plain...dumb.....

I don't think he gets it.  Canada emerged as a truly independent country at the end of WW1, before WW2.  I'd say the current tensions with the US have more to do with US leadership than Canadian leadership, and Trudeau has to go.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, Zeitgeist said:

I disagree.  Nevertheless I want to see the US have more credibility as it once had, not long ago. 

Under Trump that is happening right now. But thanks to the American and Canadian lying and fake media that fact will not be made known. The world has been told by Trump that he is not going to allow Americas credibility to be treated like crap anymore. Trump is fighting for America while our dear leader in Canada does the opposite. The rest of the world is more important to that useless piece of nonsense. Trump may have his faults but then again who is perfect anyway? Are you without fault? Let that sink in for awhile and get back to me. 

Screw China. China only cares about China. Hey, that sounds just like Trump, eh? Trump is for America first. Holy geez, man. Anyway, I will stick with Trump and America first. At least I do not have to worry about getting arrested for something that I have not done in America like three Canadians to this day have been arrested in China no doubt on false accusations. They probably took pictures of Mao and that is what got them in trouble. China is not a safe place for Canadians to go on a vacation anymore. in Canada we only arrested one Chinese woman. In China they have arrested three Canadians. It is time to look for two more Chinese to arrest or maybe even four. Lol. 

On 12/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, paxamericana said:

Geez, some people have used vehicles to injure or kill someone. It think that it is time to ban all vehicles and get them off the road just to be safe. Yes/no? :D

On 12/18/2018 at 9:50 AM, Zeitgeist said:

I don't think he gets it.  Canada emerged as a truly independent country at the end of WW1, before WW2.  I'd say the current tensions with the US have more to do with US leadership than Canadian leadership, and Trudeau has to go.

Yup, typical of most liberals response. Blame everything that is going on in the world on Trump and America. How stupid is that? I say real stupid. :lol:

Chrystia Freeland "demands" immediate release of Canadians detained in China over the botched Huawei affair.

Ooooh...scary !

Canada is now calling for the “immediate release” of two Canadians detained by China after the Vancouver arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in what amounts to a significant shift in tone by Ottawa toward Beijing.

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland made the statement on Friday afternoon using words that more strongly criticize China’s conduct than previous government remarks. She also described the situation as “arbitrary detention."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-freeland-demands-release-of-detained-canadians/

17 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Chrystia Freeland "demands" immediate release of Canadians detained in China over the botched Huawei affair.

Ooooh...scary !

It may be a joke to you, but we’re here to stand up for Canadians who have been wrongfully detained.  Freeland is doing what any Minister in her position would do, liberal or conservative. 

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It may be a joke to you, but we’re here to stand up for Canadians who have been wrongfully detained.  Freeland is doing what any Minister in her position would do, liberal or conservative. 

Sure...it's just funny how she chooses to do it.    First she was timid and diplomatic, now we are getting the mouse roar !

Remember, this is the same person who screwed up with the Saudis.

...and the "third detained Canadian" has likely broken the law in China, adding even more diplomatic noise.

Time to ban Huawei altogether.  The UK is now pulling all Huawei equipment out of their networks. And I have a feeling they will ban them from th 5G network. And I believe we should be doing the same.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-23/huawei-gear-barred-from-u-k-emergency-network-telegraph-says

BT Group Plc., the company delivering the 2.3-billion-pound ($3 billion) project, has been pulling equipment from the Chinese tech giant out of its own core structure since the 2016 acquisition of mobile carrier EE, which used Huawei gear throughout its systems. That work extends to the Emergency Services Network EE has been building for Britain, though some Huawei parts will remain in the broader access network.

While BT says it’s been an ongoing process to remove some Huawei gear and the ESN decision aligns with a long-standing corporate policy to keep the Chinese company out of the core, critics of Huawei will be emboldened by the step to limit its involvement. Huawei has come under fire from governments globally over fears its equipment could enable Chinese spying.

You cannot screw with the emergency services. The UK can screw it up all on their own.  The Chinese spy agencies most likely have the back doors into Huawei devices by default, knowing how they treat their own citizens, you think they are going to treat foreign markets any different? The back door has been suspected in Chinese products for almost a decade now. Infiltrating the US military with the tech. Sure it's no different than the USA spying on everyone via the TCP/IP protocol the US military BUILT that the Internet is run on.

Imagine if the Chinese was able to crash London's 911 systems. .....

Cyber war has been in full swing for years now. Decades probably.

15 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Cyber war has been in full swing for years now. Decades probably.

Someone ought to tell western governments then. None of them have a clue.

Canada's government doesn't want to modernize its computers because there's no votes in it.

The American government won't do anything because they're counting on the Russians to help Trump get re-elected.

The EU government is still in the midst of a decade long effort to decide on the proper labeling for computers, and what colours their cases should be.

The British government is still using the abacus.