Montreal will consider 2016 Olympics bid: Mayor

Montreal will consider 2016 Olympics bid: Mayor

Canadian Press

MONTREAL — Montreal mayor Gerald Tremblay said Sunday the city will consider making a bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.

That year would mark the 40th anniversary of the 1976 Games in Montreal, which ran a massive deficit that won't be paid off until next year.

Tremblay floated the idea before making his remarks at the world aquatic championships' closing ceremony Sunday.

"We'll catch our breath first, but a lot of people ask questions like that,'' Tremblay said when asked about the 2016 Olympics. "We'll do a review (of the world championships), we'll think about it and we'll answer that question when the times comes.

"I don't exclude anything. On the contrary, watch the last thing I say at the closing ceremony and you'll see the answer to your question is in the affirmative.''

While taxpayers may cringe at the notion of holding another Olympics, Canadian athletes liked it.

"From our experience, coming into Montreal and competing at this venue has been just unreal,'' said swimmer Rick Say of Salmon Arm, B.C.. "Having the Olympics here in the future gets kids excited about sport and I think it's a great commitment by the city of Montreal to sport and its development.''

"Having the home crowd here and all the support has really made a difference for us,'' added swimmer Brittany Reimer of Surrey, B.C. "It's awesome for us.''

The 2010 Winter Olympics will take place in Vancouver and Whistler and with the 2012 Summer Games bound for London, there's a sense 2016 Olympics are bound for Africa or Latin America.

Interesting, what do you guys think ?

What was it Drapeau said: "The Olympics could no sooner have deficit than a man could have a baby".

The next day in the paper Aislin, the Montreal based cartoonist, had a picture of a pregnant Drapeau.

They really must be nuts to consider doing it again after what happened last time.

Give it a break!

Yes. I don't think anyone is going after the olympics puring for the financials. If you can make the dollars work for you, good for you. I think its more of an ego thing, crossed with making your city nicer with a little extra money. I'd be interested to see what kind of tourism gain is typical of an olympic city in the years following.

Canada may not win the 2016 Olympics bid.....

It will be different to go to the Olympics in a "foreign" country so close to Canada.How will the new country of Quebec pay for this expenditure? Borrow from Canada? Or sell Canada some surplus land?

It could be an excellent tourist event for this new country. I as a Canadian can hardly wait to go.

Canada may not win the 2016 Olympics bid.....

It will be different  to go to the Olympics in a "foreign" country so close to Canada.How will the new country of Quebec pay for this expenditure? Borrow from Canada? Or sell Canada some surplus land?

It could be an excellent tourist event for this  new country. I as a Canadian can hardly wait to go.

Its a possibility and it would be a nice publicity for a new country. The 2 last olympics event made a 1,5 billions construction cost deficit, considering many 1976 installations could be used in montreal with some work it could problably help to lower the cost drastically, the olympic stadium being the big money drainer, maybe we could just find a way to improve our old one and give it some style.

With our enormous ~110 billions debt, i don't think making a 1 billion deficit is a big deal, we won't even notice ;p

I believe Canada's debt is 570 billion, unless the 110 billion you mention is Quebec's debt. At 570 billion, maybe by 2016 we will have paid off some and it will only be 560 billion.

Canada's ranking in debt: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo...r/2079rank.html

Thats external debt which is a very different stat then national debt, which is something that is almost impossible to actually calculate with any real accuracy. But the CIA method is a rather twisted one to say the least.

I believe Canada's debt is 570 billion, unless the 110 billion you mention is Quebec's debt. At 570 billion, maybe by 2016 we will have paid off some and it will only be 560 billion.

Canada's ranking in debt: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo...r/2079rank.html

Thats external debt which is a very different stat then national debt, which is something that is almost impossible to actually calculate with any real accuracy. But the CIA method is a rather twisted one to say the least.

Yeah im talking about quebec's debt, if we add our share of the federal debt wich is something like 140billion from the federal to have a consolidated debt of 260billion wich is enormous. Though these days, most of the big country are doing 10-70 and some even 100billions deficit per year like in europe or even more billions for china and usa. The only country with no deficit are oil sellers and really conservative country like britain and australia and scandiavian country's.

The big problem with this factbook is they don't consolidate evry level of government's debt... so those stats are pretty much useless. In reality i think canada's total debt may be near 800 billions if we count the city's debt then maybe a bit more.

Usa's debt in the book is 1.4 trillion while in reality its more like 7,2 trillion $ debt...

France is not in the list though they have 1,1 trillion € debt...