Parrish set to rejoin Liberals?

Will Parrish rejoining help or hinder the Liberals?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Controversial ex-Liberal MP wants to return to the fold. Recently she has come out swinging against comments made by outspoken Canadian military head honcho Hillier. Sometimes it is very difficult to understand what the Liberals really stand for, but I suppose that's why they just keep on winning like the energizer bunny that keeps on going.

Parrish, Liberals may kiss and make up

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see she has not lost any of her vim and vigour. I basically agree with Ms Parrish's comments here, as I think she is correct.

True to form, Ms. Parrish couldn't resist a little demonstration of her outspokenness in yesterday's interview, criticizing Canada's new Chief of the Defence Staff, General Rick Hillier, for some of his recent comments.

She called him "dangerous" and a "testosterone-filled general," and added that "somebody should put a clamp on his mouth."

Ms. Parrish, a self-described "peacenik," said she was particularly offended by Gen. Hillier's aggressive comments this month that the job of Canadian soldiers is "to be able to kill people."

He had been speaking to reporters about the Canadian troop deployment to Kandahar, where the troops will target terrorist "murderers and scumbags."

"They talk about me being outspoken," she said. "I'm speaking on my own behalf. This man is purporting to speak on behalf of the government, and I think he's dangerous.

"I'm totally offended by him. . . . We are also not a country that is going to easily throw away 100 years of peacekeeping reputation and noble reputation in the world by a testosterone-filled general, and I think somebody should put a clamp on his mouth."

She has complained to Defence Minister Bill Graham about the general's comments.

Controversial ex-Liberal MP wants to return to the fold. Recently she has come out swinging against comments made by outspoken Canadian military head honcho Hillier. Sometimes it is very difficult to understand what the Liberals really stand for, but I suppose that's why they just keep on winning like the energizer bunny that keeps on going.

I think she's good for the Liberal party, even though she has been a vocal critic of Martin. I think an awful lot of Canadians agree with her "politically incorrect" stances... I, for one, do.

I don't really understand the controversy over Hillier's comments.

People are angry that he described the Taliban and their Al Qaeda allies as "detestable murderers and scumbags"? Why? Does anybody disagree? It seems to me that those comments are the exact opposite of controversial.

As for Parrish... it makes me sad that her act makes her a national hero in some peoples' eyes. Are our standards really so low? But in a country where Curling and The Royal Canadian Air Farce are considered entertaining, I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. What's amusing, to me, is that Martin would welcome her back after the stuff she said about him and the party before she got turfed. Either they're really desparate, or PMPM's gonads are even smaller than I'd previously speculated.

-k

If that woman is a broad representation(no pun intended) of our federal government, then we need a western separation referendum asap.

PM's gonads are even smaller than I'd previously speculated.

Just to pull that out of context for a sec, how small had you previously speculated they were? :lol:

People are angry that he described the Taliban and their Al Qaeda allies as "detestable murderers and scumbags"?  Why?  Does anybody disagree?  It seems to me that those comments are the exact opposite of controversial.

-k

I think it may have been the way it was delivered. I don't think that Canadians as a whole take to people calling others scumbags (this is kinda of funny, no?) While we may privately think some as scumbags I think that we keep that private, for the most part. It also puts Hillier in the cowboy image that we see GWB as.

As for Parrish, she should talk just a little bit less. Better to be remembered for what you have done rather than what you have said.

PM's gonads are even smaller than I'd previously speculated.

Just to pull that out of context for a sec, how small had you previously speculated they were? :lol:

I had been thinking "hamster", but now I'm thinking more like "budgie".

Well I like what Paul Well's posted yesterday on this situation:

Refresher course

I wonder if the Liberals really want her but I suppose every seat counts when you are not that popular.

I am glad I'm not the only one that remembered Parrish's public verbal assault on Martin and his party. But I suspect that August's long-held position has some merit: there are a lot of who people have short and selective memories when it comes to the Liberals.

I think it may have been the way it was delivered.  I don't think that Canadians as a whole take to people calling others scumbags (this is kinda of funny, no?) While we may privately think some as scumbags I think that we keep that private, for the most part.  It also puts Hillier in the cowboy image that we see GWB as. 

Note to self: always be polite when talking about subway-bombers and political regimes that hold public executions of homosexuals and adulterers in soccer stadiums to set a moral example. Remember, train-bombers and gay-killers have feelings too.

-k

I see she has not lost any of her vim and vigour. I basically agree with Ms Parrish's comments here, as I think she is correct.
True to form, Ms. Parrish couldn't resist a little demonstration of her outspokenness in yesterday's interview, criticizing Canada's new Chief of the Defence Staff, General Rick Hillier, for some of his recent comments.

She called him "dangerous" and a "testosterone-filled general," and added that "somebody should put a clamp on his mouth."

Ms. Parrish, a self-described "peacenik," said she was particularly offended by Gen. Hillier's aggressive comments this month that the job of Canadian soldiers is "to be able to kill people."

He had been speaking to reporters about the Canadian troop deployment to Kandahar, where the troops will target terrorist "murderers and scumbags."

"They talk about me being outspoken," she said. "I'm speaking on my own behalf. This man is purporting to speak on behalf of the government, and I think he's dangerous.

"I'm totally offended by him. . . . We are also not a country that is going to easily throw away 100 years of peacekeeping reputation and noble reputation in the world by a testosterone-filled general, and I think somebody should put a clamp on his mouth."

She has complained to Defence Minister Bill Graham about the general's comments.

Yeah, probably because like Parrish you know nothing about the military and nothing about Canada's history. "100 years of peacekeeping?" What's this nitwit on anyway? Or does she consider WW1, WW2 and the Korean war to be peacekeeping missions? Nor do we have any kind of "noble" reputation as peacekeepers. We're something like number twenty-nine on the list insofar as supporting UN peacekeeping missions go. If she thinks that's leading to a great deal of admiration around the world she's more deluded than I thought.

As for Hillier, fact is, soldiers without guns are just targets. Of course they're trained to kill, and no matter what else they're doing, their ability to kill is what's backing up and enforcing their orders or directives.

I think she's good for the Liberal party, even though she has been a vocal critic of Martin. I think an awful lot of Canadians agree with her "politically incorrect" stances... I, for one, do.

She is a braying ass, but without the ability to make as much sense as her four-legged counterparts. She knows nothing about almost everything, and isn't afraid to scream it at the top of her lungs.

People are angry that he described the Taliban and their Al Qaeda allies as "detestable murderers and scumbags"?  Why?  Does anybody disagree?  It seems to me that those comments are the exact opposite of controversial.

As for Parrish... it makes me sad that her act makes her a national hero in some peoples' eyes. Are our standards really so low?  But in a country where Curling and The Royal Canadian Air Farce are considered entertaining, I guess that shouldn't be too surprising.  What's amusing, to me, is that Martin would welcome her back after the stuff she said about him and the party before she got turfed.  Either they're really desparate, or PMPM's gonads are even smaller than I'd previously speculated.

-k

it's sickening to me that she'd be an apologist for those murderers and scumbags and PMPM would take her back.

What has she ever done except make a fool of herself?

Maybe she let George W Bush know what the majority of Canadians think of him... Maybe not politically correct, but then again, look who she's talking about...

How do you know what the majority of Canadians think?

Maybe there should be a national poll.

"Is George W. Bush an idiot?"

"Are Americans morons?"

it's sickening to me that she'd be an apologist for those murderers and scumbags and PMPM would take her back.

I must have missed something.... I don't think I heard her apologizing for anyone... I thought I heard her addressing Hillier's unprofessional conduct.

Now Cybercoma, are we talking about the murderers and scumbags who attacked the World Trade towers, or the murderers and scumbags who have all the oil that the USA is after ??? or does it matter ????

Here's a bit of what he said:

In a press conference last week, our new Chief of the Defence Staff for Canada, General Rick Hillier, came out swinging. Announcing our new mission in Afghanistan, he called the enemy "detestable murderers and scumbags...they detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." Asserting that we are already a target of the terrorists, "as much as any other Western country", he put forth a new face of the Canadian Forces.

The next day, the Globe and Mail's editorial staff praised his words, and agreed with his assessment of risk. A flurry of letters ensued, both defending and vilifying Hillier.

It appears that the one thing both sides can agree on is fear. The fear of being attacked by an enemy we don't understand. The rules of war have changed and history is at a loss to tell us what to do next.

Lost in the debate on Hillier's comments are two important facts that are supported by empirical data. First, that his views are based on a lack of understanding of the motivations behind the terrorist attacks and do not improve our safety. And secondly, that they do not reflect the views of a majority of Canadians.

ok then I am kind of having trouble with why people are mad at parish, this general has absolutely NO BUISNESS at all giving his opinions on anything but direct military evolutions okayed by the government. He’s not an elected official and he should be muzzled, not having moronic generals go off at press conferences is one of the reasons that the Canadian military has always maintained a respectability not found in most other nations. It’s not something I am anxious to see change.

Regardless of whether you agree with him, he should keep his mouth shut.