Harper's Image Make Over?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2005/...1104524-cp.html

Harper took his nine-year-old son Ben to the amusement park on the island following the opening ceremony. The two then had plans to spend the rest of the afternoon at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The Conservative leader will remain in the Toronto area Sunday but said he will be spending time with his son rather than attend Toronto's world-renowned gay pride parade - where the prospect of a national law legalizing same-sex marriage is sure to figure in the celebrations.

Asked if he was surprised Harper wouldn't make the parade, Layton was tight-lipped.

"We each make our choices," he said.

HINT: I can think of what Jack should have said! HERE YOU FILL IN THE BLANK!

Layton:: " Yes but he's a "" #*#*$ "" and I'm not!!! :D

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2005/...1104524-cp.html

Harper took his nine-year-old son Ben to the amusement park on the island following the opening ceremony. The two then had plans to spend the rest of the afternoon at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The Conservative leader will remain in the Toronto area Sunday but said he will be spending time with his son rather than attend Toronto's world-renowned gay pride parade - where the prospect of a national law legalizing same-sex marriage is sure to figure in the celebrations.

Asked if he was surprised Harper wouldn't make the parade, Layton was tight-lipped.

Imagine the nerve! Spending time with his SON!!!!! WHat a bastard!

That's what this country has come to? A man spends Sunday with his son and Jumpin' Jack Flash and the rest of the left is appaled!!!

I'm no fan of Harper, but I will give him credit for this. He is doing what makes sense given his political belief; he is spending time with his son (a display of family values) while not attending an event that contradicts the family values he chooses to espouse. Attending the gay pride parade would have been hypocritical, and imagine the fuss if he had taken his son to it! No, I prefer that he stick to his position - it makes it clearcut for those of us who oppose it.

And I know this sounds naive, and some of you will claim I am falling for the media blitz, but maybe he just wanted to spend some time with his kid. Its not always about the publicity, I'd like to think he's a caring dad; we can disagree with his politics, but lets give him some credit as a decent human being.

Imagine the nerve!  Spending time with his SON!!!!! WHat a bastard!

What does make him a bastard is using his children publicly to improve his image. It borders on exploitation.

God knows Trudeau never did that - huh? Not to mention Clark and Mulroney. Chretien would have had trouble doing that. His were already grown, and one was a rapist to boot. Martin would probably sell his kids, if he had any small ones, for a majority.

So it's okay to insult people and call them names if they don't choose to go to the gay pride parade? Your litmus test for homophobia is so low and your self-righteousness so high that apparently anyone who doesn't worship homosexuals is now an evil bigot and worthy only of obscenities.

I would not begrudge Harper spending some time with his son on Saturday (although his choice of Toronto was not by accident - he could have been with his son anywhere else, like his backyard in Ottawa, in his riding in Alberta - but what is he doing attending a religious meeting that condemns homosexuality and SSM at the exact same time of the gay pride march? It seems to me that the kind of impression he wants to make is that he came to Toronto just to mock and belittle gay and lesbians in our city [i live in a suburb of Toronto]. Absolutely pathetic.

I would not begrudge Harper spending some time with his son on Saturday (although his choice of Toronto was not by accident - he could have been with his son anywhere else, like his backyard in Ottawa, in his riding in Alberta - but what is he doing attending a religious meeting that condemns homosexuality and SSM at the exact same time of the gay pride march?  It seems to me that the kind of impression he wants to make is that he came to Toronto just to mock and belittle gay and lesbians in our city [i live in a suburb of Toronto].  Absolutely pathetic.

Do you know what a straw man argument is? It is a logical fallacy and you just committed it big time.

The idea is, you build up somebody else's position (usually making it sound really weak) then tear it back down and criticize the very position that you yourself created and ASSUMED was held by your adversary.

None of what you have said about Harper is true, it's only what you SUPPOSE. And being a lefty, your supposition about his intentions is almost certainly biased.

Nice try. Only a lefty would get angry at a father for hanging with his son instead of going to a parade.

I would not begrudge Harper spending some time with his son on Saturday ... 

Do you know what a straw man argument is? It is a logical fallacy and you just committed it big time.

The idea is, you build up somebody else's position (usually making it sound really weak) then tear it back down and criticize the very position that you yourself created and ASSUMED was held by your adversary.

None of what you have said about Harper is true, it's only what you SUPPOSE. And being a lefty, your supposition about his intentions is almost certainly biased.

Nice try. Only a lefty would get angry at a father for hanging with his son instead of going to a parade.

HaHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

Look at this piece of idiocy or mendacity. Jerry gives a pedantic (and manque) rant on strawmen, then turns right around and does a blindingly obvious one of his own.

Jerry, did you not NOTICE Netherland's very first sentence, or did you not CARE that your reply was completely misplaced?

This is ridiculous. If Harper had gone to the parade, many of the same people who are criticizing him for not going would be criticizing him for going instead. It would be condemned as a transparent effort to adjust his image, gain publicity, or trick people.

Even if Harper had gone to the parade, it's unlikely his detractors would have interpreted his presence as support for the gay community. I am picturing editorials like "Harper sat silently behind the wall of RCMP officers assigned to his protection, regarding the paraders with a cold, icy gaze, as if sitting in judgment..."

As well, Harper's presence would have been extremely disruptive. The gay community apparently hates Harper with a passion. The parade would no doubt have been disrupted by a protest centered around Harper-- at best, people shouting slogans at him, and at worst possibly physical confrontation. I doubt Harper would have even been welcome. Do you invite people you hate to your birthday parties?

And it's not like going to the parade would have meant anything anyway. Would it change the minds of his detractors? "Well, he's opposed to SSM, but he did go to the parade, so I guess he's ok." uh, not so much. None of the people criticizing Harper for not going to the parade are people who would ever vote for Harper anyway, whether he went to the parade or not.

-k

This is ridiculous. If Harper had gone to the parade, many of the same people who are criticizing him for not going would be criticizing him for going instead.  It would be condemned as a transparent effort to adjust his image, gain publicity, or trick people.

Even if Harper had gone to the parade, it's unlikely his detractors would have interpreted his presence as support for the gay community.  I am picturing editorials like "Harper sat silently behind the wall of RCMP officers assigned to his protection, regarding the paraders with a cold, icy gaze, as if sitting in judgment..."

As well, Harper's presence would have been extremely disruptive. The gay community apparently hates Harper with a passion. The parade would no doubt have been disrupted by a protest centered around Harper-- at best, people shouting slogans at him, and at worst possibly physical confrontation.  I doubt Harper would have even been welcome. Do you invite people you hate to your birthday parties?

And it's not like going to the parade would have meant anything anyway. Would it change the minds of his detractors? "Well, he's opposed to SSM, but he did go to the parade, so I guess he's ok."  uh, not so much.  None of the people criticizing Harper for not going to the parade are people who would ever vote for Harper anyway, whether he went to the parade or not.

-k

Perfect post, Kimmy.

The Libs (or the LEFT, anyway) will find a way to demonize Harper no matter what he does, which makes any argument they make about him questionable at best.

HaHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

Look at this piece of idiocy or mendacity. Jerry gives a pedantic (and manque) rant on strawmen, then turns right around and does a blindingly obvious one of his own.

Jerry, did you not NOTICE Netherland's very first sentence, or did you not CARE that your reply was completely misplaced?

Sweal, your negativity has surpassed being merely a little bit annoying and moved on to being simply boring and tiresome. Get back to me when you have a point.

HaHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

Sweal, your negativity has surpassed being merely a little bit annoying and moved on to being simply boring and tiresome. Get back to me when you have a point.

Missed that one too? My point is that your technique is sleazy and your content is wrong.

HaHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

Missed that one too? My point is that your technique is sleazy and your content is wrong.

My point is that only a lefty could find a way to fault a man for spending time with his own son.

HaHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

My point is that only a lefty could find a way to fault a man for spending time with his own son.

But who did that?

HaHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

But who did that?

Look back, Harper was called "Pathetic" for hanging out with his son. Also in one of the first posts a Layton supporter suggested Harper is a "@%^@$(&*" for hanging out with his son instead of going to a parade.

I think you read into my post things that were not there!!!

I did not say one word about there being anything wrong with Harper spending time with his son!

I think it is great he is spending time with his son. It would even be greater if he would take his son to the parade if just for an hour to show him there are people that are different than his father. Then let the kid decide in later life if he wants to be a bigot like his father and treat people different because of it. Or he just might not become a bigot and be more accepting of people and not condemn them just because they have different views!!

HELLO! ;)

I think you read into my post things that were not there!!!

I did not say one word about there being anything wrong with Harper spending time with his son!

I think it is great he is spending time with his son. It would even be greater if he would take his son to the parade if just for an hour to show him there are people that are different than his father. Then let the kid decide in later life if he wants to be a bigot like his father and treat people different because of it. Or he just might not become a bigot and be more accepting of people and not condemn them just because they have different views!!

HELLO! ;)

Stephen Harper's son is 7 years old. Would you start giving your child education about gey sex at age 7?

HELLO???!!!

Another Liberal governement policy is born....I can see it now ;)