More Religion Needed in Canada

How dare you think of such a thing. Religion is a wonderful thing, it's the people who take the views into their own hands. Religion gives people hope and peace. It's hard for non-religious people to understand religion. It's like a guiding light for us who believe and go to church.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare you think of such a thing. Religion is a wonderful thing, it's the people who take the views into their own hands. Religion gives people hope and peace. It's hard for non-religious people to understand religion. It's like a guiding light for us who believe and go to church.

I grew up going to a fundamentalist church, now I am a weak athiest. All the good of religion can and has been duplicated in secular society. Religion is fine as long as it doesn't involve forcing others to follow your views. I don't agree with banning gay marriage, I don't agree with banning abortion. I don't agree with censorship of media of any sort be it video games, movies, or tv. It should be up to the parents and the individual to decide if they what to watch those shows, not up to some religious sensors deciding what is moral and what isn't. I have no problem with religion when it is benign, but most of the time it isn't.

Devils Advocate talking here, so it's gonna get rough.

Religion is for the weak. I don't NEED someone to guide me. I am well capable of doing that on my own. I do not need to be in a group to assure my beliefs in anything. If they need someone to guide them, they are about as useless as sheep. Follow the heard, beleive in everything they say. Go on your doomed way. Religion has only brought WAR throughout our entire history. We fight and die for religion FIRST before King and Country. Just sad.

Now that that is out of the way, Church is all fine and dandy for some. I do understand religion, and accept others belief in it. I just don't like it. Religion has tought me some values, and it can be used as a guiding light. Just don't follow it blindly. Question it, poke it, prod it.

Again keep religion out of politics. They are like water oil, they don't mix.

Even though I'm not religious, I always cringe when someone says "religion is for the weak." The complete and total superiority of that statement annoys the heck out of me.

Being religious is a wonderful thing for some people. Being non-religious is also a wonderful thing for other people.

Religion has, unfortunetly, been used as a scapegoat for many power-hungry groups and people. It's probably a safe bet to assume that when two religious groups are fighting, religion is more likely propped up as an easy explanation for the problem - usually it's just two groups that want the same thing and if one, or both, groups weren't religious someone would find another reason for some good 'ole killing.

But, religion shouldn't play a major role in public policy - it's fine if some people want it to be a major part of their lives, but for those who don't want it, they should be free of it.

Guest eureka

And irreligion has ben such a wonderful source of peace and goodwill! Soviet USSR' Nazi Germany; Communist China.

Those peoples also did not need the groups of religion for boosts to their self confidence and robust individuality. Not really, they needed the mindless observance of group mentalities as demanded by their non-religious creeds.

It is too easy to say that religion is responsible for wars. I venture to think that the opposite is true. Peoples went to war in the name of religion who would have gonw to war in the name of their antopathy to religion or of their clan superiority.

A little deeper thought is needed than to merely repeat the mantra of those who "hate" religion.

And irreligion has ben such a wonderful source of peace and goodwill! Soviet USSR' Nazi Germany; Communist China.

Those peoples also did not need the groups of religion for boosts to their self confidence and robust individuality. Not really, they needed the mindless observance of group mentalities as demanded by their non-religious creeds.

It is too easy to say that religion is responsible for wars. I venture to think that the opposite is true. Peoples went to war in the name of religion who would have gonw to war in the name of their antopathy to religion or of their clan superiority.

A little deeper thought is needed than to merely repeat the mantra of those who "hate" religion.

eureka beat me to the punch, but I think he hit the nail on the head. Religion has been nothing more than an excuse for many conflicts, however, there are equally horrible acts if not worse that have had very little or no ties to religion whatsoever.

eureka beat me to the punch, but I think he hit the nail on the head.  Religion has been nothing more than an excuse for many conflicts, however, there are equally horrible acts if not worse that have had very little or no ties to religion whatsoever.

Actually, Nazi's were very religious, Hitler talked constantly about how god was on their side.

Once again the religious dogmatics are trumpeting the "Evolution is just a theory" crap.

Evolution is not a theory, it is a fact. You confuse evolution itself with the attempt to explain how evolution happens.

Evolution is the change in life forms over time. We can, and do, observe this happening all the time. Why do you need new fly shots every year? Because influenza virii mutate and evolve. The lifespan of a single virus is very short therefore you see many, many generations in a single year - evolution in fast forward. Fruit flies are also excellent for observing evolution in action as they go through many generations in a single year.

200 years ago there were fewer than 15 dog breeds, today there are hundreds. That is evolutionary process in action. Humans directed the form their evolution took but it is still the evolutionary process.

Evolutionary theory is seperate from evolutionary process. Theory is an attempt to explain what and how evolution does what it does.

Religious fanatics like to characterize the word "theory" as meaning "conjecture" or "hypothesis". This is flat out wrong. A Hypothesis is a suggested explanation that has not been proven in any manner. A hypothesis becomes a theory when its basic assumptions are PROVEN to be correct. Once a theory is explained to the point where all outcomes can be predicted with 100% certainty, a theory becomes a law.

Theories attempt to explain FACTS. Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory is the attempt to explain that fact. Evolutionary theory's basic assumptions have been proven time and time again but, it still lacks accuracy in predicting all evolutionary results.

For example, if you feed many generations of rats a low-dose poison that kills only a certain percentage of that population, you can be 100% certain that only rats that survive the poisonings will procreate and they will produce offspring that tend to have the same traits that allowed the rats to survive in the first place. The species evolves to survive. What evolutionary theory cannot predict is exactly what survival trait will become dominant. It might be that some rats simply didn't like the taste of that particular poison and therefor didn't eat it. It might be that some rats were more resistant to the poison's effects, or it might even be that some rats procreated earlier and more often, allowing the species to continue even while being poisoned and killed.

Evolution happens, it is real, it is a fact.

eureka beat me to the punch, but I think he hit the nail on the head.  Religion has been nothing more than an excuse for many conflicts, however, there are equally horrible acts if not worse that have had very little or no ties to religion whatsoever.

I think it's fairer to say that humans and human nature, rather than either a religion or a non-religious ideology, create conflict. Religion and other philosophies may be used to justify the conflict in question (everyone says "God is on our side"), but there are usually other forces at work: political; the need for space, raw materials and resources; control of trade/trade routes/taxation, etc.

Guest eureka

Hitler was from the school of"God is dead." To invoke religion to attain the support of the religious among rhe citizenry does not constitute religious base for his atrocties.

I think it's fairer to say that humans and human nature, rather than either a religion or a non-religious ideology, create conflict. Religion and other philosophies may be used to justify the conflict in question (everyone says "God is on our side"), but there are usually other forces at work: political; the need for space, raw materials and resources; control of trade/trade routes/taxation, etc.

Exactly, whatever the "spoken reason", the real reason is usually "I want your stuff".

Actually, Nazi's were very religious, Hitler talked constantly about how god was on their side.

And George W. Bush recites the same kind of nonsense, but we'd hardly categorize liberating Iraqis from that dictator Hussein or overthrowing the oppressive rule of the Taliban as a holy war.