Montreal: Caught in the middle?

Being from Ottawa, Ontario everybody reading this probalby already hates me by the end of this sentence, right? That's ok, I'll keep this short. Living in Ottawa, me and my friends travel frequently to Montreal and have gotten a taste for the city's culture, which, much to the dislike of Francophones, differs from the rest of Quebec. Years of steady immigration has made Montreal the most bi-lingual city in the country, almost to the extend where english-speakers now outnumber french. Since the Bloc's case for Quebec seperation is based primarily on preserving a "distinct society" my question is what would happen to Montreal in the event Gile Ducept dupes Queckors into a YES majority referrendem?

As I see it, there is a good chance of Montreal either (A) breaking off to become a distinct society provence of its own, within Canada or (B) joining the provence of Ontario in an attempt to preserve it's own distinct society.

Does anybody have any feedback about the liklihood of either of these scinerios? Could the Bloc's plan backfire in the form of their "country's" largest city and economic hub re-joining Canada?

J

As I see it, there is a good chance of Montreal either (A) breaking off to become a distinct society provence of its own, within Canada or (B) joining the provence of Ontario in an attempt to preserve it's own distinct society. 

It is anybody's guess what would happen after a yes vote. Seperatists like to say that Canada is divisible but Quebec is not. This is plain hypocrasy - if people in Montreal are motivated enough to exchange in public protests and civil disobedience then the seperatists will have little choice but to negotiate partition.

One can reasonably argue that Montrealers would be pragmatic and just try to make do with the new political situation. However, this could be messy once Canadians sit down and figure out the implications of allowing 20% it citizens to live outside the country. It is quite likely that Montreallers would find that they have to move, support partition or give up their Canadian citizenship.

Just another reason why Quebec separation is a pandoras box that should never be opened.

Regards