Using the [ Quote ] Feature:

Greg

• Forum Admin

Hello,

A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when you use more than 10 quotes in a post, the forum system fails to mark-up the post properly. I've talked with the forum developers and was told that there is a limit on the number of [ quote ] tags that you are allowed to use. Basically, you're only allowed 10 quotes per post, otherwise the quotes will not be marked up properly.

So if you have a post that includes more than 10 quotes, please break that post into two separate posts.

Sorry for the inconvenience and if there are any other problems, please report them to me.

Cheers,

Greg

Forum Admin

The Cookie problem should now be fixed.

If you encounter any other problems, please post them here.

Cheers,

Greg

Admin

Ok, now I can't log out. Using the log-out button does nothing; next time I visit it says I'm already logged in.

This is a problem because (despite repeated, graphic threats of violence) my annoying little brother sometimes uses my computer because the other computer sucks at games. If I can't log out, he might sign on and post something like "AHAHA HARPER SUCKS HAHAHHAHAHA".

I could try stuff like manually blowing up all my cookies, but I thought I'd mention this anyway, in case others have annoying little brothers.

-k

{ScottBrison isn't my little brother... as far as I know...}

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a few beefs with how the QUOTATION feature is often used and I would like to make suggestions.

Generally, people quote too much.

1) Quoting an entire previous post and then adding very little original commentary.

example: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....st&p=131073

After scrolling through pages and pages and pages of QUOTATION, I forget the title of the thread! My eyes hurt, too!

2) Being the 2nd poster of a new thread and quoting the ENTIRE first post.

example: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....st&p=125340

Surely to goodness, as the 2nd post (and the very first reply) everybody can figure out that you are replying unambiguously to the original post. No need to quote the entire first post.

Understandably, if you are highlighting a specific aspect of the original post, it makes sense to quote a small and focussed portion, such as:

example: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....st&p=130856

This latter use of the QUOTATION feature cuts to the chase and makes the flow easier to understand.

3) Too many quotes.

Quotes in quotes contained in quotes within quotes inside quotes in /quotes inside /quotes within /quotes contained in /quotes in /quotes.

example: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....st&p=106511

4) Forgetting the hyperlink / jump tag of origin in the QUOTE feature.

This next one is more technical and harder to grasp. I have to illustrate:

A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when you use more than 10 quotes in a post, the forum system fails to mark-up the post properly.

A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when you use more than 10 quotes in a post, the forum system fails to mark-up the post properly.
The first example, the quoted text allows you to jump straight to the original post by clicking on the boxed arrow. The specific tags that must be included at the beginning of the quote are:
[quote name='Greg' date='May 10 2005, 05:59 AM' post='52549']
5) Avoid too much whitespace.

In other words, start your reply on the same line as the opening quote tag. Again, looking at the two examples:

A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when

Charles Anthony is too sarcastic!!

A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when

Charles Anthony is too sarcastic!!
In the first example, the reply follows a carriage return and starts on a separate line. In the second example, the reply starts immediately on the same line as the opening
tag.

[quote name='Charles Anthony' date='Aug 29 2006, 05:19 AM' post='131089']
[quote name='Greg' post='52549' date='May 10 2005, 05:59 AM']
A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when[/quote]
Charles Anthony is too sarcastic!![/quote]

[quote name='Charles Anthony' date='Aug 29 2006, 05:19 AM' post='131089'][quote name='Greg' post='52549' date='May 10 2005, 05:59 AM']A few posters have been having problems with the [ quote ] feature. It seems that when[/quote]Charles Anthony is too sarcastic!![/quote]

Technically, using the QUOTATION feature involves taking something out of context. Thus, it is only fair to clearly indicate the original context. This can become particularly confusing if both the name of the original poster is omitted and if the original quote is from the distant past. Forcing readers to scrolling through threads and using the search function is cumbersome.

Amen, Charles. I agree entirely.

I can live with inane arguments but I find it irritating to flip through a thread with endless quotes, re-quotes and re-re-quotes. I often stop reading.

I frankly think that abuse of the reply function should be grounds for banning.

Incidentally, I raised this same issue elsewhere:

This "Invision Power Board" software has a serious (fatal) design flaw that comes from a programmer not knowing how users use the package.

Below a posting, there are several buttons including one that says "Reply" and another that says "Add Reply". The distinction between the two buttons is not clear, and the "Reply" button is more frequently clicked.

By clicking "Reply", the previous post (however long, and how many previous posts it too includes) is copied and added to the new post. A thread can now contain endlessly copied and repeated posts.

• 2 months later...

bumped from Problems with quotes, I have tried, but...

I have done my best to deal with the problems of mutliple quotes in a post, but I am just about ready to throw in the towel. This is a serious issue if you are trying to debate someone point for point. Is there not something that can be done?

This is a major pet-peeve of mine and I am willing to help anybody through the Personal Messenger as much as physically possible to overcome the mulitple quotes. Just send me a message.

• 8 months later...
  • Forum Admin
Basically, you're only allowed 10 quotes per post, otherwise the quotes will not be marked up properly.

This issue has been resolved. You can now add up to 30 quotes per post.

Thanks,