Scheduled Maintenance

Greg

• Forum Admin

Just so everyone is aware, the discussion forum at Maple Leaf Web will be shut down for a 24 hour period starting today (Wednesday) at 2pm MST. The shut down is needed so that Maple Leaf Web can be moved to a new server in a different datacentre. We will also be upgrading the forum software to resolve some performance and security issues.

Hopefully everything should go smoothly

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,

Greg Farries

Forum Admin

• Forum Admin

There as been another delay on the transfer of the forum and the website to the new server. Complications will be resolved on Monday, so I want to enable the forum until late Sunday evening (11:59pm). Rest assured, no information will be lost, and everything that is posted between now and then will be preserved.

Again, sorry about the delays over the past couple of days, We hoped everything would go smoothly, but alas, problems do arise.

Cheers,

Greg

Forum Admin

Aside from the improved blueness of the board, are there any new features that we users will notice?

-k

Why Kimmy, how can you be so jaded??? Is not the improved blueness improvement enough???

It's a glorious blueness, the likes of which has not been seen since thursday.

Wait, that's today.

Well, I like the new "Quote" function.

I like the collapse/or directory posting system as it resembles the windows file system. It is rather easy to filter post and posters so you are able to discriminate in posting and reading

The only problem I have is that I am rather too busy to go clicking around at every poster name to read the entirety of a topic - I preferred the page system using the scroll bars where I can read a page of a number of post all at once but I would like the directory system as an enhancement

Oh! I now noticed that I can actually see a page of 10 postings if I was replying - that's what I meant

I don't know about anybody else but on some posts I see the text has been replaced with an email icon and the rest is blank. Is this only happening to me?

I've noticed that a few times as well. I found that if I clicked to reply with quotes to the "missing" message, the reply form had the missing text in it, so it's not that the text was lost, it's just not displaying correctly for some reason. We should try refreshing, to see if retrying the page repeats the same problem, and we should see if it's always the same messages that don't display correctly.

-k

I used to occasionally have troubles with forums wherein I'd type out a post, and then when I hit "submit", something or other stupid would happen and I'd lose my post, then have to start over again.

When you're as long-winded as I am, this can be very annoying. I often spend up to an hour creating a single post. Occasionally they turn out to be novellas, much to my dismay.

So, what I do now is copy/paste any quote I'm using to Wordpad. There, I can edit and add comments however I desire, then I just copy/paste back to the "Reply" box, and submit.

This way, if anything happens, I still have my entire post backed up on Wordpad.

This also allows me to create posts where I use multiple quotes from various posts.

I got "ERROR 404" messages for days. Also "page not found'. I am assuming that this is merely a server glitch that will be ironed out, but is sure was annoying as I could only log on once in the last week or so.

I am also guessing that the new user time means the server has been 'outsourced', which may have been a factor in getting the new format up and running.

All the blue is indeed a bit much, but it is a nice 'non-violent colour', but a bit depressing. Some prisons had tremendous success with the colour pink when trying to curb aggression in prison facilities, so lets see if this new colour helps cut down on 'flame posting', lol.

I find the message composing interface works a lot better now. Tags and so-on are inserted at the cursor location instead of at the end of the message. The "snapback" feature in quotes is also neat.

-k

• Forum Admin

Hello all,

sorry about the delay on getting back to you everyone about their questions.

I don't know about anybody else but on some posts I see the text has been replaced with an email icon and the rest is blank. Is this only happening to me?

This is a problem that was brought over when the old forum software was updated. It seems that improperly structured posts (mixing up the [ quote ] code) using the quote feature is the root of the problem. This should not be a problem from this point forward.

Greg, can you fix the clock so it isn't on Tokyo time?

The server time will be fixed this afternoon

I don't stay logged in, will that be resolved in the upgrade?

I have noticed this happening too. I assume its a problem with the forum software placing cookies on your computer. I will look into the problem and report back here.

I get an "ERROR 404" message when I log in from my mobile.

Because we had to physically move the website to a new server, the IP address had to be updated. It seems a few ISP (cogeco being on of them) have been slow to update their Domain Name-Server (DNS) info, so some users are still being served the old website. This should resolve over the next few days.

I am also guessing that the new user time means the server has been 'outsourced',

Previously we "outsourced" the actual hosting of Maple Leaf Web to a virtual hosting company in Vancouver. However, we have since secured a dedicated server in a data-center in Calgary, which provides us with more flexiablity in terms of the type and the stability of the hosting.

All the blue is indeed a bit much

Agreed. I don't like it either. In the next couple of days/weeks, I'll be incorporating the forum back into the overall Maple Leaf Web design. These types of customizations do take time, so please be patient. The overdose of blue will soon be gone.

I find the message composing interface works a lot better now. Tags and so-on are inserted at the cursor location instead of at the end of the message. The "snapback" feature in quotes is also neat.

I agree. There are some really great new features!

Keep an eye on this area of the forums, I'll be reporting back when some of the problems get resolved.

Thanks

Greg

Admin

Thanks for the update Greg.

Agreed. I don't like it either. In the next couple of days/weeks, I'll be incorporating the forum back into the overall Maple Leaf Web design. These types of customizations do take time, so please be patient. The overdose of blue will soon be gone.
I think it's the "Light" Blue that's irritating.

More specifically, within a post, there is insufficient distinction between a quote and the poster's reply. Greg, if you have control over the format of the box around a quote, please make the quote box more defined and distinct.

Also, did we really have 900 or so different on-line users about a week ago? Or did one poster try to log on 900 or so times?

Last point. The new features are interesting. (The photo section is cool. But please don't introduce avatars.)

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the update Greg.
I think it's the "Light" Blue that's irritating.

More specifically, within a post, there is insufficient distinction between a quote and the poster's reply. Greg, if you have control over the format of the box around a quote, please make the quote box more defined and distinct.

Also, did we really have 900 or so different on-line users about a week ago? Or did one poster try to log on 900 or so times?

Last point. The new features are interesting. (The photo section is cool. But please don't introduce avatars.)

Totaly agree on the 'No Avatars' Not only is it useless and distracting at times. Avatars would have to be approved I am guessing, and would just rape bandwidth. I seem to only visit forums with stripped down style. And when it comes to it. It is the posts on politics we read, not seizure enhancing gifs :) I guess that is why I love The Shack so much :)