Is the sponsorship scandal as bad as Watergate?

IS the sponsorship scandal as bad as Watergate?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it is as bad as Watergate. And what makes me more mad is that from whenever the program was started, that no one came out and said "this is wrong". It seems like no one has a consciene anymore in politics.

You make it sound like every one knew about it and purposely withheld 1) their opinions and 2) their condemnation.

As much as you righties would have everyone believe that this was systemic within the Liberal party it wasn't. I t was a few people taking advantadge of a poorly (VERY!)monitored program.

You make it sound like every one knew about it and purposely withheld 1) their opinions and 2) their condemnation.

As much as you righties would have everyone believe that this was systemic within the Liberal party it wasn't. I t was a few people taking advantadge of a poorly (VERY!)monitored program.

It's very hard to believe that much money can slip under the radar. And let's say that it does, how irresponsible does that make those who are looking after those funds?

It's very hard to believe that much money can slip under the radar.  And let's say that it does, how irresponsible does that make those who are looking after those funds?

Agreed but everyone seems to be jumping to pretty wild conclusions without hearing all the evidence. It seems to me that we can't do things like, oh I don't know, says its worse than Watergate without hearing all the facts... Right? There is 30 years of hindsight and examination on Watergate....

It's very hard to believe that much money can slip under the radar.  And let's say that it does, how irresponsible does that make those who are looking after those funds?

Agreed but everyone seems to be jumping to pretty wild conclusions without hearing all the evidence. It seems to me that we can't do things like, oh I don't know, says its worse than Watergate without hearing all the facts... Right? There is 30 years of hindsight and examination on Watergate....

We still afford people the right to be innocent until proven guilty, but what fun is that?

Broad brushing an entire political party is much more fun. :)

Honestly though, the information we've heard through testimony should be enough to anger even the most apathetic voter. Perhaps my age leaves me a bit naive to the way things work in our government.

He voted Liberal when he turned 18 and will vote Liberal until he dies -- his words not mine. And I truly can't understand the irresponsibility of voters like him.

You're right though, to compare it to Watergate is jumping to conclusions awfully quick. I'm certain in 30 years hindsight will prove that this was much worse.

I'm being somewhat facetious. We can only hope history proves me wrong.

I am so surprised to discover on an English Canadian forum such a comparison.

American scandals are usually about sex and power. Canadian federal scandals are usually about money.

Draw the conclusion you want but the scandals are different.

American? Watergate was about executive privilege. (Check it out! The story is Shakespearean.) How about Wilbur Mills? (Google Argentinian Firecracker.) Or Clinton? An American classic. A boring money scandal (Whitewater) turns into a salacious sex scandal (Levinsky).

Big Canadian scandals are all about money. Macdonald's Pacific Railway and King's Custom scandal. (A silent scandal is the cost of the Pope's visit in 1984.) Compare Canada's pipeline debate and Gerda Munsinger.

----

This current scandal is standard Liberal affair. They stole money. Voters are offended.

This current scandal is standard Liberal affair. They stole money. Voters are offended.

It's pretty sad when we can sit here and say that this is "standard". Yet our country continues to tuck its tail between its legs and let these vultures pick through our wallets at will.

Guest eureka

How much money "slipped under the radar?" So far, it does not seem to be an awful lot. That is something that is lost in the din and something that, obviously, the Liberals cannot talk about since the answer is that any amount is too much.

Watergate was an attempt to subvert democracy - what democracy there is in the US - while this is about a conspiracy amongst a small band of crooks to skim some cream from the programme.

In my opinion this is worst than Watergate.

A Liberal government of Canada will fully and puropsefully misused and misdirect public funds for their own politcal and personal reasons.

This is something that goes on in directorships and commuusit states not in a supposed democracy that Canada is suppose to be. This is something Saddam would have done, this is something that Castro and Mugabe are doing.

For a government of Canada to steal from the people of Quebec and Canada their tax dollars which are suppose to go to heath care, education,transportation and police for their own selfish and politcal use is a bytreyal of trust force upon the people of Quebec and Canada.

They have stolen from the people they are suppose to look out for, the old, the young, the poor, the disabled and the sick. The money that was entrusted to them to make our lives and the lives of every person of this country better was instead use to enrich themselves and their friends at the expense of the public.

This scandel is worst than Watergate.

It is a bytreyal of the Canadian people, our history and our democracy.

For a government of Canada to steal from the people of Quebec and Canada their tax dollars which are suppose to go to heath care, education,transportation and police for their own selfish and politcal use is a bytreyal of trust force upon the people of Quebec and Canada.

For a government of Quebec to pose a simple, straightforward question, worded in such a way as to confuse every reader, and then tell the reader that we have "already achieved" the sovereignty on which the reader is being asked to vote, without ever making it clear that the vote itself is intended to tear Quebec away from the rest of Canada, is a betrayal of trust forced upon the people of Quebec and Canada.

Just out of curiosity, who did you vote for in the last Quebec Provincal Election???

For a government of Quebec to pose a simple, straightforward question, worded in such a way as to confuse every reader, and then tell the reader that we have "already achieved" the sovereignty on which the reader is being asked to vote, without ever making it clear that the vote itself is intended to tear Quebec away from the rest of Canada, is a betrayal of trust forced upon the people of Quebec and Canada.

Just out of curiosity, who did you vote for in the last Quebec Provincal Election???

What does my vote in a provincal election have anything to do with the corruption of your Liberal Government?

The Liberals claim to be the saviors of Canada, but the truth is they are the ones that will destroy it.

How dare you try to defend the corruption of your party on those who use you fight everyday for a future for teh people of Quebec.

It is the Liberals that have poison this country against Quebec.

What does my vote in a provincal election have anything to do with the corruption of your Liberal Government?

The Liberals claim to be the saviors of Canada, but the truth is they are the ones that will destroy it.

How dare you try to defend the corruption of your party on those who use you fight everyday for a future for teh people of Quebec.

It is the Liberals that have poison this country against Quebec.

Ummmmm, not to take this too far off topic there BQ Supporter, but.. I'd think it were people like you in Quebec that have turned the general populous off of Quebec and are the primary reason that any of this is happening in the first place. There I said it. Oh and BS to what you said.

In my opinion this is worst than Watergate.

A Liberal government of Canada will fully and puropsefully misused and misdirect public funds for their own politcal and personal reasons.

This is something that goes on in directorships and commuusit states not in a supposed democracy that Canada is suppose to be. This is something Saddam would have done, this is something that Castro and Mugabe are doing.

They have stolen from the people they are suppose to look out for, the old, the young, the poor, the disabled and the sick. The money that was entrusted to them to make our lives and the lives of every person of this country better was instead use to enrich themselves and their friends at the expense of the public.

This scandel is worst than Watergate.

It is a bytreyal of the Canadian people, our history and our democracy.

If there's a better way to put it, I can't think of one. Other than to look at it from this angle; the Liberals used taxpayers dollars to help with their campaigns, nearly making it impossible for any other party to compete against them. Why not just make up ballots with one name on it?

Maybe it's reaching....but is it THAT far of a stretch?

This is something that goes on in directorships and commuusit states not in a supposed democracy that Canada is suppose to be.
Who ever said anything about Canada being a democracy is what I would like to know. We have a system whereby a leader is picked by a Party to become leader, yet does not have to face the electorate of the whole country in order to be named either as Prime Minister, or Premier. They only need to convince the people of their particular little riding to vote them in and that is supposed to convert to an endorsement from the people of the whole country or Province in the case of Premier. Once elected in their constituency they them get to instruct members of their Party how they are going to vote on specific issues, or face possible expulsion from caucus. How is that democracy? In my mind's eye, it is nothing but an elected dictatorship. We get to elect a new dictator every time we go to the polls.

As for waiting for Gomery to finish, I don't think we are somehow going to learn at this point that this has all been some sort of mistake, and the Liberal's are lily white. Some said we shouldn't be painting all Liberal's with the same brush, but the truth is that in all likelihood, all Liberal MP's have benefitted in some way by these ill-gotten donations. As for Martin, he was Finance Minister during the time in question and for him to now say that he did not know any of the specifics of who did and didn't get money smacks of incompetence. He should have known where our money was going, and if he didn't he was not doing the job he was appointed to do.

As for these polls quoting support for whom, I have absolutely no faith in polls, simply because it depends who was called and the specific questions they were asked. Myself, I have never talked to anyone who has ever received such a call to ask for their opinion, and the only calls I myself have received from survey companies has had to do with shopping trends.

As for support for the Bloc being elected in Quebec, it shows how smart Quebecer's are to vote for a Party who have no influence either in the Parliament of Canada nor in the rest of Canada. If Quebecer's wer smart they would have figured out that they had far more influence in Parliament when they had MP's elected that represented one of the mainstream parties, instead of a one issue agenda, that cannot be good for Quebec, especially when Quebecer's figure out that if they separate, all federal institutions and the jobs that go with it will disappear, along with the paycheques that accompany those jobs.