Target of virus/hack attackj

Rue

On 11/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, Greg said:

Ha, you think I'm die in the wool IP.Board fan?

Whatever...

Greg, in this forum, what you are doing is good for...

... une société civilisée.

====

Yet, you seem to worry about a Just Society more than a Civil Society.

Edited by August1991

@Greg

Other boards/ software are equally plagued by hacker attacks, so for all the work it takes to migrate, and for users to adjust etc. still won't guarantee this problem is solved. In fact these problems are never completely solved. You could, for example devise policies that limit the number of new posts a new account can make, to one per day, or perhaps one per forum, per day... etc. This would continue for a short time until the member is considered legit.

Technology is not the only thing. Another option is to use human beings to patrol the forum. Members could be encouraged to report any spam, or strange posts. (The latter being rather subjective for some around here...)

Edited by OftenWrong

58 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

You could, for example devise policies that limit the number of new posts a new account can make, to one per day, or perhaps one per forum, per day... etc. This would continue for a short time until the member is considered legit.

Good idea.

This is likely China targeting Canada for the arrest of Huawei's President FOR the U.S. extradition request. If they can read this, they should recognize that this would only defeat Canada's neutrality for that company letting the American's influence take precedence. Mind you, this could then be intentional to discredit the Chinese? And, if the Chinese OR Americans are involved, their use of Korean may be to purposely confuse who is responsible. .... ??? Any other similar political suggestion possibilities? Is there a way to trace them back ....or their proxies?

Edited by Scott Mayers

On 12/12/2018 at 11:44 PM, Scott Mayers said:

Any other similar political suggestion possibilities?

No comment from me. I aint discussing politics.

This sub-forum should be free of political discussion but I will let the membership entertain this train of thought. If it gets traction, I will snip it off and move it upstairs to a different space in the forum.

Is there a way to trace them back ....or their proxies?

Perhaps but I can not do it nor do I care to pursue any such sleuthing. For me, spam is spam. I will leave it to others to enlighten me.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:00 PM, jbg said:

Or perhaps prevent a new account from starting threads until they've been active for three days and made three actual posts. I have records of over 7000 bogus threads.

That could work too. 

On 12/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, August1991 said:

Greg, Charles.

Thanks. 1000x thanks.

What did you guys do to solve this problem?

You are all welcome.  This place is nothing without you guys. 

Nothing different has been done yet. For the time being, I am waking up earlier in the morning to take out the trash.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, August1991 said:

Make no mistake, this was not "fake news". This was foreign characters.

I am not sure how that distinction matters. Spam is spam and it does not seem to me that anything is new under the sun.

Edited by Charles Anthony
merged more responses

• 2 weeks later...

This is likely China targeting Canada for the arrest of Huawei's President FOR the U.S. extradition request. 

I don't think so. I believe this already started before she was detained. 

How about a moratorium on new members during the holidays? Since it is likely the forum will continue to be attacked, and the moderator could probably use a break. He might need to go celebrate Christmas, or something.

I know we want to allow new folks to come in but it appears we can't lt them do that without some kinda oversight. Perhaps we need some kind of vetting process where each new member is an "applicant". They should not have the same rights as others who have already been here. We need to put up barriers to prevent new applicants from running amok in the forum.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:29 PM, Greg said:

I’m likely going to migrate to different forum software, IP.Board is a spam magnet.

August, you might just get your wish for a super simple forum interface!

I will post an update on the support section shortly.

thanks!

Maybe, use the same forum software that Debate Politics is using.  I don't think it ever had that problem, and it's so smooth to use.

I don't get notifications from here, and I didn't get any emails.

Also to help out Charles, why not ask posters to volunteer (and give them the power to delete spams they see)?

Edited by betsy

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

Sorry, folks.  I slept in.  

No worries boss! Keep up the good work. Now what to do about these posters who totally flood the forum with non-stop nonsense? I know, it's not really against the forum rules, but hey.

As to the "hackers", not a problem. I don't need any more forskolin anyway...

• Forum Admin
On 1/12/2019 at 5:46 AM, Michael Hardner said:

It's becoming difficult to find real posts at this point...

Congrats, you've been elevated to SPAM COP status - when you identify a spammer, flag them and they'll be removed.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:45 AM, betsy said:

Also to help out Charles, why not ask posters to volunteer (and give them the power to delete spams they see)?

Well if the screen is anything like what you get in a club it's not hard to delete posts. Mind you, you need to delete an account for these asian spammers since it's obviously a robo poster.

Really the problem is access given automatically and with immediate rights to do anything they want, including breach of any and all rules. These people are on a suicide mission, so they don't care if it's all over quickly for them. Just get in and create the damage as quickly as possible.

I think any new member who makes a name like ddgde, or zxcz would be a good candidate to put on automatic suspension as soon as they join. Perhaps given only one forum in which they can participate upon joining. They remain in this forum of detention until a human being reviews their application. Then they submit it for final approval to the forum management. They in turn only meet monthly... you get the picture.

Edited by OftenWrong