Harper denial

Harper denies MP received money for visas

Last Updated Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:42:57 EDT

CBC News

VANCOUVER - Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is denying that one of his MPs asked constituents to put up $50,000 guarantees in return for help with temporary visas for friends and family.

Immigration Minister Joe Volpe has asked the ethics commissioner to investigate the actions of Conservative MP Gurmant Grewal, who is pushing for a private member's bill that would see the federal government collect a bond for high-risk visitors.

Conservative MP Gurmant Grewal (CP file photo) 

Grewal reportedly admitted during a committee meeting last month that he was already testing out the bill by collecting $50,000 guarantees from constituents.

Why is Harper still denying what his Conservative MP admits. DUH

The following as a copy of "guarantee" provided by Grewal's staff:

Gurmant Grewal's staff did, however, provide The Vancouver Sun with a copy of one of the guarantee letters Grewal has used in the past.

"I/we provide a personal guarantee (Joint or Severed) that the above applicant for a visitors visa and any family members travelling with the applicant, shall leave Canada on or before the expiry of the visa," reads the three-paragraph letter. "Furthermore, I/we will assume full responsibility for any damages, and for any consequences including any remedies."

What I would like to know is how many of his "guaranteed visa entries" have failed to return on time and what have been the consequences???

Why is a MP providing these guarantees????

What investigation is done on the visitors prior to providing these "guarantees"?

While I would approve of even higher bonds required from visitors; they should be approved and held by an immigration panel of experts in that field that thoroughly checks out these visitors prior to their arrival.

If a MP takes bonds for such a guarantee; the next step would be accepting smaller non refundable cash payments.

Let's not tempt our MPs

Cagerattler and Caesar,

A bond or in another term a promissory note. That is what Grewal was receiving.

Just to be clear, he was not getting money.

He wanted assurance the people he would help get a visa, would go home again. This was not for his private gain. He also disclosed this openly and is trying to make it policy.

This is much different from the criminal allegations of cash pay offs to the Liberal party. <_<

This is much different from the criminal allegations of cash pay offs to the Liberal party.

Once again I challenge you and all your Conservative friends here to show me where it says that a company who gets a grant or a contract by the government cannot donate money to that party who is running the government.

Point that law out to me will ya!

This guy can say all he wants unless he can prove it it is all hearsay and accusations!

Of course you Conservatives only need hearsay in order to go off on a binge of accussing every Liberal out there! :rolleyes:

I challenge you and all your Conservative friends here to show me where it says that a company who gets a grant or a contract by the government cannot donate money to that party who is running the government.

They did not follow the donation rules and were delivered the donations in cash so they could not be tracked if you believe the testimony.

As with OJ they may not of proved it but he doesn't get much work anymore.

Even if this does not end up in conviction and I will be surprised if it doesn't will the Liberals have anymore work after the judgment of the public is laid upon them.

I will put a shinny Looney that the public won’t wait for 100% certainty to through the bums out.

Of course you Conservatives only need hearsay in order to go off on a binge of accussing every Liberal out there!

Ya, the Conservatives went out of our way to create a Judicial inquiry so they could then have baseless accusations to lay against the Liberal Party. ;)

Does that sound ridiculous yet. :D

This started with a government audit, then more info came out in committee, and now under judicial. It just gets worse and worse. What will we find out when the individual trials start.

I don't think every Liberal is a criminal, but I do know enough of them did wrong to get tossed.

They have lost the moral authority to govern. :angry:

This is much different from the criminal allegations of cash pay offs to the Liberal party.

Once again I challenge you and all your Conservative friends here to show me where it says that a company who gets a grant or a contract by the government cannot donate money to that party who is running the government.

And as you were already told, the Liberals are not under fire because they received donations from companies that got contracts.

They are under fire because they (allegedly) made it clear that companies had to donate to the Liberal Party to get these contracts.

They are under fire because they (allegedly) made it clear to these companies that contracts could be awarded in return for favors, like donations or hiring party friends.

They are under fire because they sidestepped proper contract procedures in awarding contracts. (this one is not allegedly; they have admitted as much.)

They are under fire because they (allegedly) threatened these companies with the loss of their contracts if they did not continue to grant the favors requested.

Your continued insistence that the Liberals are just under attack because they received donations from companies that got government work is very telling. It show that either you are very poorly informed about the issue, or else you simply don't understand what the problem is. Either way, your line of argument says a lot about you and your credibility.

-kimmy

edit: (allegedly)

And it IS against the law for political donations to be made through a 3rd party, as Brault and Thiboutot and Gilles Gosselin have all testified was regular practice. When these companies made gave their employees money to donate to the Liberals, that was against the law.

-kimmy

And it IS against the law for political donations to be made through a 3rd party, as Brault and Thiboutot and Gilles Gosselin have all testified was regular practice. When these companies made gave their employees money to donate to the Liberals, that was against the law.

First of all this is all hearsay. And of course you posted no proof to back up your statement.

Typical of a CON servative that lives on hearsay and accusations!

HINT: Not one charge yet laid on any Liberal M.P. but to a CON servative they're all guilty!

Also this looks like it was only centered around the Quebec wing yet you people blame all Liberals.

Wonderful! :D

And of course you posted no proof to back up your statement.

That it's against the law? It is against the law. Do some reading.

None of the more sensible Liberal supporters on the forum are going to take issue with the claim.

-kimmy