Next Tory Leader

Who will be the next leader of the CPC?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are we making the assumption that Harper's reign is short-lived? Like, if he's going to have a benevolent 12 year run as prime-minister and retire of his own accord, I'd say Rona Ambrose will be the next leader. :)

-kang

Are we making the assumption that Harper's reign is short-lived? Like, if he's going to have a benevolent 12 year run as prime-minister and retire of his own accord, I'd say Rona Ambrose will be the next leader. :)

-kang

Kang?

I am SOOOOO hung over right now :(

-kimmy

You see, Mackay thought that since Liberals had achieved (minority) government during the election of 2004, by 2008 when the next election would be at hand, the Canadian peopels would be bored of Liberals as they would be have been in power for so long. They would be looking for change. It was then that Mackay would beat Harper into the position of Leader of the Conservative party. I think he would probably be a better PM and have a better shot than Harper. But then again, you never know. Harper may surprise us all.

Anyhow, now that a snap election may be called anytime now; that has screwed up Mackay's plan. Therefore, who will be the next Tory leader is a good question.

Diane Ablonzy is articulate and intelligent, well able to take on the liberal attack artists. I would be willing to give her a chance.

Harper is also articulate and intelligent but lacks charisma, he doesn't have enough 'punch' to attract a voter who doesn't see through the liberal rhetoric. He also needs to look up into the camera/eyes more often and not look down, doesn't look good to viewers.

Diane Ablonzy is articulate and intelligent, well able to take on the liberal attack artists. I would be willing to give her a chance.

Harper is also articulate and intelligent but lacks charisma, he doesn't have enough 'punch' to attract a voter who doesn't see through the liberal rhetoric. He also needs to look up into the camera/eyes more often and not look down, doesn't look good to viewers.

As long as torybastards can't respect voters enough to see us as other than rubes sucked in by the Liberals, they will never get around to making the party into what it needs to be to present a real challenge to the Liberals.

Torybastard election strategy seems to follow this script:

Torybastard 1: Why did they vote Liberal?

Torybastard 2: Only one possible reason -- they're stupid.

Torybastard 3: Well, what should we do about that?

Torybastards 1 2 and 3 together: Try to trick them!

Diane Ablonzy is articulate and intelligent,  well able to take on the liberal attack artists.  I would be willing to give her a chance.

Harper is also articulate and intelligent but lacks charisma, he doesn't have enough 'punch' to attract a voter who doesn't see through the liberal rhetoric.  He also needs to look up  into the camera/eyes more often and not look down, doesn't look good to viewers.

Torybastard election strategy seems to follow this script:

Torybastard 1: Why did they vote Liberal?

Torybastard 2: Only one possible reason -- they're stupid.

Torybastard 3: Well, what should we do about that?

Torybastards 1 2 and 3 together: Try to trick them!

Yes, because that's exactly how it works.

One can only imagine the conversation the Liberals had when they were thinking of the Canadian people while planning the sponsorship.

Dear Big Blue Machine,

Welcome back.

Why are we assuming that Harper is going to fail?
I think that the assumption is that he already has. He has failed to 'unite the right' thus far, even though the Conservatives are making headway. Harper can't really take credit for being any sort of catalyst, it is more like he is just taking his turn at the wheel. The conservatives need someone dynamic at the helm, to win over the East, bringing the Conservatives much needed credibility and 'Canadianism'.

Just like the NDP, leadership is lacking. Layton looks like, and spells his name, too closely to Lenin to have a credible impact on the majority.(j/k)

[

Harper has brought the party together, during the convention many issues were debated and hundreds of resolutions passed. Ultimatley there was consensus which ended with a unified party' even after MacKay's hissy fits. I don't think Harper is going anywhere soon.

It would indeed be interesting times if the U.S. President were a woman (Hilary) and the conservatives ended up with a female leader, hopefully Prime Minister in the near future.

Belinda won't win the leadership anytime soon, maybe in about 10 years. Her last bid was uninspired and her public speaking skills are deplorable when compared to others in the party. Her French needs desperate work and her political ground war skills are really non-existant at this time. She needs a lot more moulding before she's ready.

MacKay would make an interesting choice providing he could get over hurdles within the conservatives first. Definitely a good man in a debate with very solid French and a strong command of the issues. Aside from those two obvious ones, there are not many around that have epxressed serious interest who also have the capabilities as well.

But this is all idle speculation, Harper will not be replaced before the next election so we'll have to wait and see.

MacKay would make an interesting choice providing he could get over hurdles within the conservatives first. Definitely a good man in a debate with very solid French and a strong command of the issues.

I can't see the Reform/Alliance turning the party back over to the PC's after their highly successfull takeover. Furthermore, I can't see very many Canadians voting for him with all of the Orchard baggage. What would his platform be? "You can't trust the Liberals, but you can trust me!" :D

That said,

MacKay for Tory leader!

I can't see the Reform/Alliance turning the party back over to the PC's after their highly successfull takeover. Furthermore, I can't see very many Canadians voting for him with all of the Orchard baggage. What would his platform be? "You can't trust the Liberals, but you can trust me!"  :D

That said,

MacKay for Tory leader!

In case you missed the episode at the convention where everyone was discussing MacKay's 'hissy fit'; this issue was resolved. It now stands that every riding may send 10 elected delegates plus two automatics (the association president and the MP/candidate of record). The proposed system would have allowed larger ridings (population wise) to send more delegates than smaller ones (on a sliding scale). This of course would make it easier for western delegates to swing the party as they see fit. There are ridings out in Alberta and Saskatchewan with literally tens of thousands of members each; by contrast there are ridings in Quebec with less than a hundred members.

The Orchard baggage would actually be more trouble inside the party than in a general election IMO. How many Canadians actually followed the PC leadership convention? How many Canadains do you think actually know and understand all that went on? For that matter, how many Canadians do you think actually know who the hell David Orchard is? The opposition would have a tough time sinking him if Orchard was the only weapon in their arsenal.