Terry Schiavo

Of course it was lead on by lawyers in their quest to get a bigger settlement.

Oh by the way Kimmy; I didn't bring Johnny Cochrane into the discussion; you did. OJ had lots of lawyers.

It is a fact of life; lawyers do and must represent clients to the best of their ability right or wrong; guilty or innocent. And most do not work for cheap.

The two sides of the families all got along until the lawyers got involved. Lawyers may be one of the reasons Michael never mentioned Terri's wish to die rather than live in a handicapped state; until AFTER the settlement from the doctors. Wouldn't get as much money if they were not wanting to keep looking for long term medical help

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caesar.. you are postulating all sorts of conspiracies against lawyers with no basis at all rather than your negative stereotypes of the profession.

Also, please try to refrain from making intentionally vague insinutations and then backing off and trying to turn the tables on people when they call you on it, saying "I never said that.. you said it." Its really rather pathetic.

Of course it was lead on by lawyers in their quest to get a bigger settlement.

As usual, bigotry and ignorance come hand in hand. Caesar, if you knew half asmuch as you pretend, you would understand that settlements go to litigants, not lawyers. In this case the concept of a money settlement is irrelevant, since the claims don't seek money.

It is a fact of life; lawyers do and must represent clients to the best of their ability right or wrong; guilty or innocent. 

And most do not work for cheap.

Doctors must save the lives of patients, whethersuc patients are good people or bad people. And most do not work for cheap.

The two sides of the families all got along until the lawyers got involved.

What utter crap. Do you imagine that some lawyer called the Shindlers first, or did the Shindlers call a lawyer?

Dear Terrible Sweal,

What utter crap. Do you imagine that some lawyer called the Shindlers first, or did the Shindlers call a lawyer?
Ever heard the term 'ambulance-chaser'? I have no doubt the Schindler's called a lawyer, but to suggest that lawyers are all 'morally impeccable' is silly.
As usual, bigotry and ignorance come hand in hand. Caesar, if you knew half asmuch as you pretend, you would understand that settlements go to litigants, not lawyers.
You should realize that settlements usually have a clause that 10-50% goes to the lawyer, plus hourly fees. Those fees range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per hour.

I have many clients that are lawyers, from corporate litigation, commercial, and customs, and even they know all the lawyer jokes.

While I realize that this case wasn't over money, I have no doubt that some sort of deal could have been made regarding royalties for television, book or movie rights to 'offset the legal fees' in a case such as this.

No, and neither did I. Boy how these conservatives like to switch words around.

Anyhow talking of lawyers; this one has guts

Doug Christie told court Wednesday that James Parker, a former reporter with the Saskatoon StarPhoenix newspaper, knowingly disseminated hate by publicizing Ahenakew's anti-Semitic comments.

• 2 months later...
To the shock of no-one... except a few Luddites, knuckleheads, imbeciles, and Tom DeLay.

-k

Don't forget Bill Frist.

Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), a renowned heart surgeon before becoming Senate majority leader, went to the floor late Thursday night for the second time in 12 hours to argue that Florida doctors had erred in saying Terri Schiavo is in a "persistent vegetative state."

"I question it based on a review of the video footage which I spent an hour or so looking at last night in my office," he said in a lengthy speech in which he quoted medical texts and standards. "She certainly seems to respond to visual stimuli."

The doctor's finding that Schiavo's deterioration left her blind, along with the determination that the brain damage was irreversible, caused some Republicans in Washington, who had pushed for federal intervention in her case, to have second thoughts.

Guest eureka

This news makes me rethink. We deal here with, it seems, many who are blind and have only half a brain yet we still labour to "educate" them rather than pulling the plug.

I have to say, Jeb Bush is pissing me off by pushing an investigation into Michael Shaivo. I wish this thing would just die. Meanwhile Jeb refuses to push for the prosecution of the of those who aided Jessica Lunsfords killers. Although I can't stand the left's mud slinging at the evangelicals, I do think they need to get their priorities straight.

With respect to the family fight, it would appear that Michael is a major league A-hole with the inscription he put on Terri's grave:

"I kept my promise."

and also listed Feb. 25, 1990, as the date his wife "Departed this Earth."

Schiavo actually died March 31, nearly two weeks after her feeding tube was removed by court order. The grave marker lists that date as when Schiavo was "at peace."

Story

Totally insensitive and an obvious attempt to piss off her family.