United North America.......

United North America

IMHO, the creator of this site put alot of thought and work into making it..........And he is a Canadian.

I find his stats on how the "new states" would rank with the "orginal 50" quite intresting:

Future State Profiles

Here's my future 'home state' of British Columbia:

If British Columbia were admitted into the Union today..

Area Rank: 2nd biggest State (bigger than Texas, smaller than Alaska).

Population Rank: 25th most populous State (bigger than South Carolina, smaller than Louisiana).

GDP Rank: 31st biggest economy in US (bigger than Kansas, smaller than Iowa).

Congressmen: 6 House Representatives and 2 Senators.

Electoral Votes: 8

As for the mighty Ontario.......Remeber August always harping about Ontario being nothing more than another Michigan if it didn't have ROC.......

If Ontario were admitted into the Union today..

Area Rank: 2nd biggest State (bigger than Texas, smaller than Alaska).

Population Rank: 7th most populous State (bigger than Ohio, smaller than Pennsylvania).

GDP Rank: 10th biggest economy in US (bigger than Georgia, smaller than Michigan).

Congressmen: 17 House Representatives and 2 Senators.

Electoral Votes: 19

:lol:

The state profiles are interesting. Alberta, being our richest province would become the 29th biggest economy. Maybe those separatists there should pay attention to this.

But as far as the Canadian who did this, he really fell down when it came to the territories, comparing them to annexed portions of the world like Guam and Puerto Rico, whereas, within Canada they are as much a part of the country as any province. He also gave PEI territory status instead of provincial (or state) status. So either the author has spent most of his life out of the country or is just not very bright.

Note of interest that Quebec would be the 23rd biggest economy (bigger than that of Alberta). Why are we sending them equalization payments again?

The stats are interesting, the idea is down right horrible. although we do have clsoe ties, in some respects, to America...I honestly don't think you will be able to convince to many pot smoking, peace loving, hippies to join a country of tractor riding, cat shooting hicks, nor will you be able to convince a bunch of tractor riding, cat shooting hicks to accept an influx of 30 million pot smoking, peace loving, hippies...besides that I re-call even an Albertan sepratist laughed at the concept of joining America...if someone as dazed and confused as him can laugh at that concept it probabley will be recieved even worse than it was here.

The stats are interesting, the idea is down right horrible. although we do have clsoe ties, in some respects, to America...I honestly don't think you will be able to convince to many pot smoking, peace loving, hippies to join a country of tractor riding, cat shooting hicks, nor will you be able to convince a bunch of tractor riding, cat shooting hicks to accept an influx of 30 million pot smoking, peace loving, hippies...

Are you speaking of Albertans and Vermonters here ? :lol:

besides that I re-call even an Albertan sepratist laughed at the concept of joining America...if someone as dazed and confused as him can laugh at that concept it probabley will be recieved even worse than it was here.

The big news flash here is that the two countries are almost identical. In fact, some provinces and states are more similar to each other than other provinces and states. I can't think of any other two sovereign nations in the world that are more similar.

While there are some major differences (national health care in Canada, not in the US, bilingualism, etc) the two countries are practically one country now.

The big news flash here is that the two countries are almost identical.  In fact, some provinces and states are more similar to each other than other provinces and states.  I can't think of any other two sovereign nations in the world that are more similar.

While there are some major differences (national health care in Canada, not in the US, bilingualism,  etc) the two countries are practically one country now.

If you will re-call I did note we have very close ties to america, however I doubt even 10% of Canadians would be willing to join America...you have to have people wanting to live in America before the country can join, and the claim of a united North America is assinine because it completely ignores the PEOPLE. Even if they are so similar in actions they are so far apart in thought, and that cannot be ignored or written off, simply, by saying we trade together. Hell I traded most of my hockey cards with one person, it doesn't mean now that homosexual marrages are allowed that I want to get married to Him.

My point is that it's not necessary.

The chief function of nationhood right now seems to be identity, with few exceptions.

I'm sure you'd have trouble getting Vermont and New Hampshire to join up too, but why bother trying ? And if it did happen how different would things be ?

Not much.

Canamerica is basically one country now anyway.

Well, according to a Léger poll from March of 2004:

92% of Canadians declare that they do not want Canada to become part of the United States compared to 70% among Americans. In opposition, 7% of Canadians would want their country to become part of the United States compared to 19% among Americans.

Also, I thought I'd put this little tidbit from the same poll in here concerning Canadians/Americans perceptions of our similarities/diffferences.

68% of Canadians consider themselves to be different from Americans while 61% of Americans claim they are the same as Canadians.

In Quebec, where this belief is strongest, a proportion of 87% claim that Canadians are different from Americans. Oppositely, the perception that we are the same as Americans is strongest in Ontario (36%).

There is no significant difference between regions in the United States.

In a practical sense, we are tied together, but I believe that in a majority of areas we are to extremely different entities. One only needs to look at the social and trade issues currently before our 2 nations.

I think the more time you spend in the two countries the more you see the differences. We eat the same types of food, drive the same cars, listen to the same music and watch the same movies but in attitude there's a huge divide. Not saying one is better than the other mind, just that it's different.