Why is 9/11 still a big deal?

Guest eureka

That is true and is true of Britain also. However, courts in Britain have ruled that the indefinite detention provision is unconstitutional and Canada is close to following that ruling.

There is also much more to the Patriot Act than those provisions. It is much more intrusive than Canadian and British legislation.

I suppose you people that worship on the right don't see a problem with this?

But the official acknowledged it's impossible to get 100 per cent compliance from foreign governments on their assurances that the prisoners would be well treated.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...tacodalogin=yes

What the heck is wrong with this picture? I find this absolutely unbelievable. Talk about grounds for impeachment!

For the current administration--911 is Junior's convenient handle on which to pin his cause for continuing war in the Middle East and eroding the human rights of Americans (Patriot Act as one example) thus ensuring the continuance of a military economy at the expense of the masses.

For the skeptical--and I dare say their numbers are growing--it's about a dogged search for the truth. Keep 911 front and centre until we unravel all the many questions which have not yet been answered with integrity.

I for one will never let go of 911 until such time as we get answers which seem to fit. What we've heard to date from the Commission smells.

Sad to say but it's true--and I'm feeling more than a little vulnerable here--what happens closest to us is more real than that which goes on in far away places.

We seem to lose sight that for the vast majority of us we are pampered beyond belief relative to half the world's population which exists in abject poverty, fear, and worse. Even those of us who are aware don't get into the fray to ensure that things get turned around. Perhaps one day the guilt will become so overwhelming that I will join forces with others and really DO something other than talk. You're right--on a world scale 911 and Rwanda are not comparable.

Dear eureka,

To say that 75% of Al Quaeda operatives have been caught - I know you said of those who were identified - is naive, at best. It is certain that only a relative handful have actually been caught.
You are quite correct with this statement. In the book 'Imperial Hubris:Whe the West is losing the War on Terror', the author (who at the time was 'Anonymous', but later resigned from the CIA and was the 'Bin Laden desk' of the CIA's counter-terrorism unit) revealed that the USA had absolutely no idea what numbers al Qaeda actually had, and claims of percentages were merely for the media.

If this claim of 75% percent were at all truthful, they should have said "We have captured 75% of an unknown number. We have no idea what 100% is, but the number 75% make it look like we're winning, big time. Much better than the 50% we claimed earlier".

9/11 is still a big deal because they are hiding what really happened. if you have been educating yourself the past few years you already know that the Bush government orchestrated, ordered and executed the attacks of 9/11. Overwhelming proof has already been presented including the Stanley Hilton lawsuit on behalf of the families of victimes sueing the US government for its involvement in the attacks. This will come out this year and everything will change after that. Your life will never be the same. The Bush administration was responsible for the attacks. There is no Al Qaeda. Never was. It is an invention of the Bush administration. There is no terrorism. All is caused by the Illuminati

9/11 is still a big deal because they are hiding what really happened. if you have been educating yourself the past few years you already know that the Bush government orchestrated, ordered and executed the attacks of 9/11. Overwhelming proof has already been presented including the Stanley Hilton lawsuit on behalf of the families of victimes sueing the US government for its involvement in the attacks. This will come out this year and everything will change after that. Your life will never be the same. The Bush administration was responsible for the attacks. There is no Al Qaeda. Never was. It is an invention of the Bush administration. There is no terrorism. All is caused by the Illuminati

:rolleyes:

Tell the truth, you're a rightwingnut posing as a leftwingnut just to discredit the left, am I right?

This Associated Press article notes several areas in which strong progress has been made towards combating al-Qaeda, such as the capture of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who was described by the 9/11 Commission as the, "the principal architect of the 9/11 attacks."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-0...terrorism_x.htm

This article notes that Al-Qaeda is being defeated militarily in its major base of operations in Pakistan.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6527746/

This article, based on a trove of recently captured documents, is less optimistic but nonetheless provides evidence that the 75% figure may very well be accurate. The new documents, which "led to the arrests of 11 suspected Qaeda followers", note specifically that much of Al Qaeda's leadership was destroyed. However, it seems that now Al-Qaeda is "regenerating" and that its "upper echelons are being filled by lower-ranking members and more recent recruits." Nonetheless, I would imagine that Al Qaeda's new leaders are less experienced than those who were captured or killed.

http://www.iht.com/articles/533445.html

I think the decapitation of Al-Qaeda's old leadership, combined with overwhelming pressure on Al-Qaeda in its former strongholds of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and several other Middle Eastern nations, represent real progress. 9/11 has convinced nations across the world to successfully crack down on Al-Qaeda's terrorism.

Guest eureka

There have also been many reports of the growth of Al Quaeda since Bush got bored with the war on terror and decided that there were easier killings to be made in Iraq.

AQ is now said to have cells in over 60 countries.

• 2 weeks later...

all you people must be much younger then i am...

you don't remember bush senior. in comparison, bush junior is the same game different reason.

what ever happened to the 'war on drugs'? did we win that one? 'stay the course' i remember bush senior saying. whatever happened to that perpetual war that conveniently justified the invasions of greneda, panama and the continued support of violent tyrants in latin america.

al queda!? they're all gone... but 'possible links to al queda' events will continue... but only until the next administration.

<see post above>

Uh, that's great TokyoTakarazuka.

But what does it have to do with the topic?

Should I share a good stew recipe with the class now? :P

Mr. anticlimates continues to troll antiamerican crap, comes up with crap topics like 'why is xyz important?', and then has the gall to lecture others on propriety. The strategy is idiotic, and the topics are STUPID.

The Earth Liberation Front, Squamish Five, and many other radical leftist terrorists largely target or targeted corporations and individuals.

And, just to balance the scales a bit, the radical right also has it's share.

One example that leaps to mind is the anti-abortion movement.

Clinics trashed, and doctors killed.

Not too many left wingers involved in that particular dance.

Guest eureka

The Squamish Five were not "radical leftists" (whatever that may mean). They were anarchists, nihilists and a few other things that were half formed in their deformed minds.

They belonged to no political persuasion and were simply terrorists raging at society and authority.

Closer to some ideas of the Right than the Left.

• 2 weeks later...
There was no mistrust amongst the American allies until the Administration there started to do things worthy of mistrust. -shakeyhands

Your absolutly correct shaky hands, however, after we charged into wrongly accused countries fireing at will destroying and massacreing innocent cities, were we turned against and beginning to slowly lose allies. Which if i may say so we are in no position to do.

This eventually, thanks to good old George Dubya's horrible actions, led to America being frowned upon and our trust being lost.

just thought i would clear that up :)