If majority of Canadians has a negative view of America, why are they still allied?

24 minutes ago, Wilber said:

You could have all of Canada's population along the US Mexico border and there would still be over 90 million Mexicans left. Ever look at a map?

I saw the map yesterday. More Mexicans coming our way north to America. And when Trump kicks them out they will all start to head for Canada. If Canada were on the border of Mexico, we would all now be speaking Spanish with a little bit of English thrown in here and there. There are some American towns along the border of Mexico where the population is almost totally Mexican. How is that for starting to take over America?  General Santa Ana of the Alamo must be rolling in his grave and laughing now. :D

28 minutes ago, Wilber said:

We are two diverse countries. Why on earth would we always like each other.

Canadians are no different to Americans. We are all considered children of a common British/European mother. It is only the leftist liberal media and politicians that try to make us hate one another. If it were not for those two there would be no animosity between us. The only different thing that now separates Canadians from Americans is the metric system. Otherwise there is no difference between Canadians and Americans. We are all North Americans living together in peace and harmony. 

One of the most pathetic things I've noticed in Canadian media are stories that highlight Canadians mentioned in American media....as if that's more important and noteworthy than whatever a Canadian has actually done.    It only serves to reinforce the inferiority complex reputation, deserved or not.

Comparisons and contrast to the U.S. permeate Canadian media, is normalized and expected, and apparently fills an empty void that would otherwise exist.

1 hour ago, taxme said:

Canadians are no different to Americans. We are all considered children of a common British/European mother. It is only the leftist liberal media and politicians that try to make us hate one another. If it were not for those two there would be no animosity between us. The only different thing that now separates Canadians from Americans is the metric system. Otherwise there is no difference between Canadians and Americans. We are all North Americans living together in peace and harmony. 

Did you always get along with your siblings?

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The U.S. has a long history with Mexico, with more geographic and population impact than Canada historically, but Canada seeks more recognition and attention.

Mexicans are more secure in their identity and culture without being "not Americans".

I've been on this forum longer than you. If you think you can make me feel inferior, you're wasting your time.

49 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

One of the most pathetic things I've noticed in Canadian media are stories that highlight Canadians mentioned in American media....as if that's more important and noteworthy than whatever a Canadian has actually done.    It only serves to reinforce the inferiority complex reputation, deserved or not.

Comparisons and contrast to the U.S. permeate Canadian media, is normalized and expected, and apparently fills an empty void that would otherwise exist.

Don’t flatter yourself. It’s strictly a numbers game.  It’s harder to get attention internationally than nationally. Canadians also appreciate the attention of Britain and many other countries.  The US is bigger, so it’s a bigger audience.  I love good British and Australian tv and film, as well as American.  There’s no national favouritism.   There are sometimes more cultural similarities to the US.  Cool and lame are universal, transnational categories. 

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Don’t flatter yourself. It’s strictly a numbers game.  It’s harder to get attention internationally than nationally. Canadians also appreciate the attention of Britain and many other countries.  The US is bigger, so it’s a bigger audience.  I love good British and Australian tv and film, as well as American.  There’s no national favouritism.   There are sometimes more cultural similarities to the US.  Cool and lame are universal, transnational categories. 

Has nothing to do with me....the numbers are what they are.  

Why would anyone get more excited because of American media recognition than the actual accomplishment itself....just bizarre. 

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Has nothing to do with me....the numbers are what they are.  

Why would anyone get more excited because of American media recognition than the actual accomplishment itself....just bizarre. 

No it isn’t.  There’s a big difference between success among 34 million people and 340 million, or 3.4 billion.  No mystery there. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

No it isn’t.  There’s a big difference between success among 34 million people and 340 million, or 3.4 billion.  No mystery there. 

So do you think Chinese (1.4 billion) media goes gaga over mentions by TMZ in America ?

...and it's not just "success"...it is any mention in U.S. media.   

"Oh look....they noticed us !!! "

2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Hate is a loosely used word, rarely to describe what it actually means, like amazing.

Whatever...the point still stands....some Canadians choose to invest in disdain for America and Americans.

By and large, Americans just don't obsess so much over Canada...why would they ?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Some Canadians choose to hate America for whatever reason...most Americans are just indifferent to Canada.

This is oh-so true and I've mentioned to you before re: the annual RV convoys going North To Alaska that this disdain ends with a dollar bill given...and a dollar bill spent...the disdain returns. Shallow...like it's a big hockey game and if we could just get your jersey over yer heads.

But it's off to Vegas for the weekend to see Celine before she retires...

The Simpsons in Canada

1105438.jpg.8e313a25edfe5a9f5d704dd0d76a1571.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Whatever...the point still stands....some Canadians choose to invest in disdain for America and Americans.

By and large, Americans just don't obsess so much over Canada...why would they ?   

And yet you and some other Muricans do...Not sure why.  Maybe there's a shred of humanity buried within?  Not counting on it...

Guys.... were getting off topic here.

Okay, let me put it this way..... can Canada survive without America?

If your answer is YES then why doesn't Canada sever ties with America so that Canadians who hate America can relax and not have high blood pressure for being so hateful?

It's like the relationship with North and South Korea.... there is no relationship.... and North Korea is happy for it, so why doesn't Canada do the same?

17 hours ago, romeoromeo said:

Guys.... were getting off topic here.

Okay, let me put it this way..... can Canada survive without America?

If your answer is YES then why doesn't Canada sever ties with America so that Canadians who hate America can relax and not have high blood pressure for being so hateful?

It's like the relationship with North and South Korea.... there is no relationship.... and North Korea is happy for it, so why doesn't Canada do the same?

We maintain close relations despite the problems like most families. Most Canadians value the relationships.  Severing ties would be weird, antisocial, and not what most people want.  I don’t know any Canadians who “hate the Americans”.  Such a posture would be immature and foolish.  I do worry about the capacity of certain politicians to damage relations.