Donald Trump (in 3 paragraphs)

22 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump doesn't have to carry Churchill's briefcase....it is now America's briefcase...partially due to Churchill's decisions.

"Never be separated from the Americans." - Winston Churchill (1955)

You mean holding the fort for two years while you guys watched?

10 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It was Britian's empire to hold....not America's.    Should have learned the lesson first time around with WW1.

The empire is gone...and Canadians watch Trump instead.

WW2 had nothing to do with holding Britain’s empire.

14 hours ago, August1991 said:

I disagree.

====

In the 1930s, Argus, many people said the same of Churchill as you now say of Trump.

Others said the same of Hitler - misunderstanding the profound difference. 

Churchill wrote a whole series of books. Trump has never even READ a book. His handlers have to feed him pretty colored chats to get him to pay attention to anything. I don't think there is any comparison to be made without drawing laughter.

11 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I'm sure you believe that, but then again, Canada didn't have much of a role in the Pacific theatre....the Americans, British, Kiwis, and Australians did.

Don't forget the Dutch.

ABDA...and those shark infested waters of the Java Sea.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I'm sure you believe that, but then again, Canada didn't have much of a role in the Pacific theatre....the Americans, British, Kiwis, and Australians did.

True but Canada had more presence in Europe than Australia or New Zealand. A big presence in the North Atlantic and 6 Group RCAF was capable of putting 200 Lancaster and Halifax bombers over Germany on any given night. My father was RCAF and he spent over two years in India and Burma attached to the RAF. He was already in the UK eight months before Pearl Harbor.

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It was Britian's empire to hold....not America's.    Should have learned the lesson first time around with WW1.

The empire is gone...and Canadians watch Trump instead.

Churchill was a great leader and hero.  Please don’t associate Trump with Churchill.  We’re trying to move the world forward in spite of Trump.  The recent synagogue mass murder and other hate crimes have echoes of Chrystalnacht and the Brown Shirts.  I doubt we’d be seeing these events under Obama. 

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

Don't forget the Dutch.

ABDA...and those shark infested waters of the Java Sea.

We have some good friends in California who are Dutch Americans. They were children when the Japanese invaded Dutch East Indies and spent the war in an internment camp. They can't stand Trump.

Edited by Wilber

40 minutes ago, Wilber said:

True but Canada had more presence in Europe than Australia or New Zealand. A big presence in the North Atlantic and 6 Group RCAF was capable of putting 200 Lancaster and Halifax bombers over Germany on any given night. My father was RCAF and he spent over two years in India and Burma attached to the RAF. He was already in the UK eight months before Pearl Harbor.

I believe you....the sun never set on the British Empire or its subjects.

American military pilots were in the UK and Asia...long before Pearl Harbour.

That was then...this is now...and Trump is calling the shots.

37 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Churchill was a great leader and hero.  Please don’t associate Trump with Churchill.  We’re trying to move the world forward in spite of Trump.  The recent synagogue mass murder and other hate crimes have echoes of Chrystalnacht and the Brown Shirts.  I doubt we’d be seeing these events under Obama. 

The world moved forward despite Churchill as well (e.g. India).   Obama had plenty of "events" for Canada to observe...and ignore for partisan reasons.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I believe you....the sun never set on the British Empire or its subjects.

American military pilots were in the UK and Asia...long before Pearl Harbour.

That was then...this is now...and Trump is calling the shots.

Sure there were, flying for the RAF and China. Lots of Canadians served in Viet Nam to.

32 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Sure there were, flying for the RAF and China. Lots of Canadians served in Viet Nam to.

Indeed...more than served in the Pacific theatre during WW2.  

Americans are now deployed around the world....in Germany, Japan, and South Korea for over 60 years....Canada...not so much.

Canada's foreign minister whines when leader Trump changes the game for American foreign policy and trade relations.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada has been there for most of the important battles for freedom and thankfully stayed out of some of the American adventures that made the world less safe. Don’t worry, BC, there’s plenty of dirt to pin on Canada too...America still number one though. 

Fine...then why isn't Canada "leading" the free world ?  

Why so dependent and impacted by Donald Trump's decisions and actions...or any American president ?

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Fine...then why isn't Canada "leading" the free world ?  

Why so dependent and impacted by Donald Trump's decisions and actions...or any American president ?

We support the US government in most areas.  I don’t like the level of impact.  It becomes an issue every so often: Vietnam, invasion of Iraq...

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

Several dozen Canadian officers served in Burma as part of officer exchange programs. As well Chinese Canadians were a big part of Force 136...a spy/intelligence agency in SEA during WW2.

24 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We support the US government in most areas.  I don’t like the level of impact.  It becomes an issue every so often: Vietnam, invasion of Iraq...

A lot of folks think the US invaded South Viet-Nam. Historians know that it was the NVA doing all the real invadin'...

On 11/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, Wilber said:

WW2 had nothing to do with holding Britain’s empire.

He's American. They have difficulty with basic concepts such as Pearl Harbour, Japan, Nazi Germany. Don't expect too much. He thinks John Wayne was a heterosexual as well.