Donald Trump (in 3 paragraphs)

2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

When you look at their body language, Trump and  Mussolini are very similar.

True.  I often thought Trump had been studying movies of Il Duce.

8 minutes ago, Wilber said:

I was referring to the similarity of the body language, Everyone has body language.

Agreed. Good point.

====

Obama's body language was open, dove.

Trump's body language is hawkish.

===========

But Wilber,

Obama people (freedom of speech) seem hawks in defending their viewpoints.

Edited by August1991

Sorry, serious thread hijack ahead:

=====

Alberta GDP per capita is about $80,000. Quebec GDP per capita is about $40,000.

Why are Albertans more productive than Quebecers?

Moreover, each year, each Albertan sends about $3000 to the Quebec government. Why? (Each year, each Quebecer has an Albertan pay their first $1000 tax payment.)

=====

Occasionally, I can understand. But oil is now below $50 a barrel.

Edited by August1991

32 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Agreed. Good point.

====

Obama's body language was open, dove.

Trump's body language is hawkish.

===========

But Wilber,

Obama people (freedom of speech) seem hawks in defending their viewpoints.

Here's the thing. People keep saying the Democrats have to be careful what they do and which celebrities support them or they will alienate voters. On the other hand, Trump and his bunch get a let on spewing any garbage they want. It's bizarre.

14 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Here's the thing. People keep saying the Democrats have to be careful what they do and which celebrities support them or they will alienate voters. On the other hand, Trump and his bunch get a let on spewing any garbage they want. It's bizarre.

"... Democrats have to be careful what they do... "

So, you argue that Democrats should be Doves.

=====

Wilbur, you see this as a Team A vs Team B discussion.
Years ago, I started a thread on this very point (can't find it now). My point? The Internet seems to exacerbate the Team A vs Team B, fanboy position.

Well, life is not zero-sum game. 

Edited by August1991

Just now, August1991 said:

"... Democrats have to be careful what they do... "

So, you argue that Democrats should be Doves.

=====

Wilbur, you see this as a Team A vs Team B discussion. Zero-sum game. 

No, I don't think they should be doves, I think the opposite. I've seen so many articles about how this or that could backfire on the Democrats while Trump just goes more over the top and gets away with it.

It has become a zero sum game, it became that way in 2008 when The Turtle said the GOP would focus all their efforts on making Obama a one term president. No thought of the country's welfare there at all.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, Argus said:

Both were smarter than Trump. Both had more dignity and wit and knowledge and better judgement.

Trudeau is smarter than Trump too, more stable, at least capable of conceding to experts.

Trump is most definitely NOT a leader. A leader is able to persuade people to his way of thinking.. Trump simply finds what people are angry about and then pretends to be angry about the same thing. A leader has vision. Trump has no vision unless it's on FOX news. A leader takes responsibility for his actions. Truman had a plaque on his desk that said "The buck stops here". Trump has a plaque that says "It's all your fault" that he throws at anyone convenient whenever anything goes wrong.

A leader, with control of the senate and house, would have had his wall under construction now. Trump hasn't even been able to get his own party to agree to fund the thing.

I disagree.

====

In the 1930s, Argus, many people said the same of Churchill as you now say of Trump.

Others said the same of Hitler - misunderstanding the profound difference. 

Edited by August1991

Churchill saw action in at least three wars, was captured and escaped in one of them. Fist Lord of the Admiralty twice as well as armaments minister and Minister of War in WW1. Several senior posts including Cancellor of the Exchequer after the war. He was responsible for Britain’s first minimum wage, and had a big hand in several other social reforms such as lunches for school children and pensions for those over 70. That was all before he became PM. Oh, and he also got the Nobel prize for literature. 

Trump, not so much.

Edited by Wilber
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilber said:

You saying Britain should have made peace with Hitler?

No, I'm saying that Winston Churchill was a "warmonger"....for British imperialism....even before Hitler.

Trump could do that too with raw American military power, but hasn't so far.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No, I'm saying that Winston Churchill was a "warmonger"....for British imperialism....even before Hitler.

Trump could do that too with raw American military power, but hasn't so far.

Churchill was in imperialist but he didn’t.start any wars.

“To jaw jaw is always better than to war war”

Winston Churchill

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

Churchill was in imperialist but he didn’t.start any wars.

Churchill's record is well documented.....unabashed imperialist....Gallipoli...Black and Tan in Ireland...opposed women's suffrage....supported Franco in Spain..."waycist".

A leader for his time and empire....as is Trump.

Gallipoli was a campaign during WW 1. Turkey declared war on the Allies, not the other way around.

The Black and Tans were formed and Bloody Sunday were before his term as Minister for Colonies and they were disbanded during his term.

Churchill was certainly anti communist and was among the first to really understand  the threat posed by Hitler before the war and the Soviet Union after it. The name Iron Curtain was after all, his invention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Gallipoli was a campaign during WW 1. Turkey declared war on the Allies, not the other way around.

The Black and Tans were formed and Bloody Sunday were before his term as Minister for Colonies and they were disbanded during his term.

Churchill was certainly anti communist and was among the first to really understand  the threat posed by Hitler before the war and the Soviet Union after it. The name Iron Curtain was after all, his invention.

Sorry, but the list is too long and Churchill's associations too strong to discount his flaws while celebrating his successes.    India famines....Dardanelles admiralty disaster...gold standard...yada, yada, yada.

Trump has been criticized for like minded thinking and actions...overreaching whenever he can.

Like any other American president, Trump will also have successes and failures as the "leader" of his nation.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Sorry, but the list is too long and Churchill's associations too strong to discount his flaws while celebrating his successes.    India famines....Dardanelles admiralty disaster...gold standard...yada, yada, yada.

Trump has been criticized for like minded thinking and actions...overreaching whenever he can.

Like any other American president, Trump will also have successes and failures as the "leader" of his nation.

Churchill was a flawed man but Trump couldn’t carry his briefcase.

• Like 1

Just now, Wilber said:

Churchill was a flawed man but Trump couldn’t carry his briefcase.

Trump doesn't have to carry Churchill's briefcase....it is now America's briefcase...partially due to Churchill's decisions.

"Never be separated from the Americans." - Winston Churchill (1955)