Looking for a Job Vs Making the Job.

Carbon882

I want to get into Technology and Engineering and I want to stay in Northern Ontario. All the expanding economy is in the cities down south like Toronto. Would it be a good Idea to start a business here or would I be better off moving and being employed by a company?

Edited by Carbon882

If you don't already know the answer to that, stick with being an employee.

Once you have in depth knowledge of the business you wish to try, and get enough of a track record to give buyers confidence, THEN it might be time to open a business.   The odds of success are very small, but you can weigh it heavily in your favour by doing something you are already very good at doing.

BTW: if you want to get into engineering and technology, you will need a degree in engineering or diploma in eng tech.  Got that yet?

Edited by cannuck

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, Carbon882 said:

I want to get into Technology and Engineering and I want to stay in Northern Ontario. All the expanding economy is in the cities down south like Toronto. Would it be a good Idea to start a business here or would I be better off moving and being employed by a company?

Hard to say. How much knowledge do you have and what kind? How much money do you have? What's your knowledge of the local market. There are jsut some of the questions you'd want to answer before making a decision either way. Clearly, working for someone else could expand your skills further, but again, depends on your circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, Carbon882 said:

Maybe take some business electives to help with your decision.  It is feasible to run a tech business from Northern Ontario - you have to start building relations.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 3:23 AM, RB said:

Maybe take some business electives to help with your decision.  It is feasible to run a tech business from Northern Ontario - you have to start building relations.  Good luck.

Take business electives? Disagree with RB.

====

I have a good friend who lives in a town south of Barcelona. It is possible to live where you choose.

I live in Montreal. But I didn't choose this city.

=========

In my life, I have always left space for random noise. You never know. 

• 3 months later...