Elizabeth Warren's ancestry

Can one reasonably claim indigenous ancestry on the basis of 1/1024th genetic link, as reportedly Sen. Elizabeth Warren has done? If so, are all of us of mainly European ancestry (and many Asians as well) not definitionally Neanderthal as it's estimated that 1.8 to 2.4 percent of our dna is Neanderthal? Has the diversity craze led us led us down a rabbit hole where advantage is gained by claiming exotic (well, minority) credibility?

I'm not particularly concerned about whether Sen. Warren is or is not Indian/aboriginal/indigenous. Rather, I wonder why any of this is important at all and whether it suggests that we've attached artificial virtue to essentially meaningless ideas about ethnicity, race and diversity? In this country we permit those of Middle Eastern ethnicity to essentially self-declare racial minority status even when in many cases the "visible" minority designation doesn't objectively apply. The Americans, at least, don't permit this. Mexico, with a racially-blended population characterized by a substantial indigenous component, doesn't permit the collection of racial or ethnic data. Should we not move in the same direction before the silliness gets out of hand? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

Mexico, with a racially-blended population characterized by a substantial indigenous component, doesn't permit the collection of racial or ethnic data. Should we not move in the same direction before the silliness gets out of hand? 

Some Canadians complain that we don't collect enough racial or ethnic data and therefore cannot prove or disprove which ethnic groups commit more/less crimes, pays more/less taxes etc.

2 hours ago, turningrite said:

Can one reasonably claim indigenous ancestry on the basis of 1/1024th genetic link, as reportedly Sen. Elizabeth Warren has done? If so, are all of us of mainly European ancestry (and many Asians as well) not definitionally Neanderthal as it's estimated that 1.8 to 2.4 percent of our dna is Neanderthal? Has the diversity craze led us led us down a rabbit hole where advantage is gained by claiming exotic (well, minority) credibility?

I'm not particularly concerned about whether Sen. Warren is or is not Indian/aboriginal/indigenous. Rather, I wonder why any of this is important at all and whether it suggests that we've attached artificial virtue to essentially meaningless ideas about ethnicity, race and diversity? In this country we permit those of Middle Eastern ethnicity to essentially self-declare racial minority status even when in many cases the "visible" minority designation doesn't objectively apply. The Americans, at least, don't permit this. Mexico, with a racially-blended population characterized by a substantial indigenous component, doesn't permit the collection of racial or ethnic data. Should we not move in the same direction before the silliness gets out of hand? 

It's all just a part of the liberal leftist program and agenda of multiculturalism and nothing more. They want us all to believe that we all have some other racial blood running thru our veins in hopes that we will embrace multiculturalism a lot more. We see this happening on TV all the time where they are trying to get people to send away for a kit for them to be able to check and see if they have more than one racial bit of background running thru their veins. At least that is how I look at it and it is mostly aimed at white people. Just saying. 

I don't know if companies still keep data under the employment equity legislation (Ontario) but when I worked in HR we kept data in order to meet a 'quota'..    EE wasn't actually quotas, but in reality it was, the more minorities and disabled people the better, it looked good.   We had umpteen seminars etc. on racism, tolerance and so on,  the hiring practices in particular and how they interviewed was changed in order to accommodate the hiring of minorities.  I can't speak publicly about what happened in order to meet some 'quota' but sh.t happened.    I can also tell you that the first female supervisor in an engineering dept. had to be moved because the Muslim men refused to accept her as a supervisor, and that was before Muslims were in the news as much.  

The agenda is there and much more so than when I was in the work force but that is one way someone like Warren could try to get a job, by lying about her ancestry.   Warren isn't aboriginal but she used it to further an agenda, it backfired, she's no more aboriginal than I am and the actual aboriginals don't accept her claims. 

All that seems to matter to day in most universities is quotas and how many minorities they have, but talk to Asian students who feel they are being left out...    what happened to qualifications and meritocracy.

Edited by scribblet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, scribblet said:

I can also tell you that the first female supervisor in an engineering dept. had to be moved because the Muslim men refused to accept her as a supervisor, and that was before Muslims were in the news as much. 

I've heard similar problems from friends of mine and had similar experiences myself.  It seems the only way to NOT oppress certain ones is to allow them their "right" to oppress others.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 1:57 PM, turningrite said:

If your schtick is identity politics, which is the case with Warren, then your creds are enhanced by being a member of a "marginalized" group, as opposed to being a member of the oppressor race. Mike Capuano was just about the most liberal and progressive person in congress, but not only was he of the oppressor race, he was of the oppressor gender! So progressives ran him out of office in the primary in favour of a female brown person. Joe Crowley was booted for the same reason. Progressives don't like whites. Even if they ARE white. 

If Warren and her ilk gain the nomination for president Trump may well get re-elected.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 10:57 AM, turningrite said:

It’s important re:Warren because she tried to gain an advantage by claiming minority status. 

The Mexicans do it right, if what you’re saying is true (and I have no reason to doubt you). Hyphens don’t just separate words, they separate people. If someone can show me how hyphens bring people together I’ll admit that I was wrong for the first time in my life again.  

On 10/20/2018 at 8:01 PM, WestCanMan said:

Hyphens don’t just separate words, they separate people. If someone can show me how hyphens bring people together I’ll admit that I was wrong for the first time in my life again.  

I don't think it particularly problematic for individuals to understand their own ancestry. However, I think it very problematic for a democratic state to participate in the promotion of collective ethno-racial and/or religious identities. The problem with so doing, which our feckless leaders seem unwilling to contemplate, is that when you weaponize identity for the sake of satisfying some you essentially grant license to all self-defined identity groups to similarly seek the promotion of their own interests. This creates an atomized society where groups are pitted against one another in the quest for advantage. Our leaders are either daft or disingenuous if they can't comprehend the relationship between promoting identity politics and the emergence of, say, white nationalism. The latter is logically related to and justified by the former.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 12:57 PM, turningrite said:

This is the rabbit hole of intersectionality left. Their totem pole goes, women, minority, lgbtq, white male. In that condescending order. How can anyone who consider themselves a rational thinker ever embrace such train of thought. Intersectionality is the basis for reverse bigotry and evil. As I've said before if diversity is the goal, race is not a good metric of it. Also, we are a country of individuals not a collective so to categorize everyone into identity groups based on their perceived injustice is doing a huge disservice to the actual victim of injustice.  https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/politics/harvard-admissions-affirmative-action-trial-money/index.html

Edited by paxamericana

It speaks volumes that the organisation of whatever tribe she claimed to be part of long before the outcome of the DNA-tests slammed her by saying that she is not one of them and she should be ashamed of using the tribe to further her political ambitions.