Political asylum from a "first world" country?

I realize that Canada follows the UN guidelines of asylum. Most of it refers to immediate threat of harm, but... what about a first-world country that has third-world statistics in its social welfare policies and lack of a democratic process in its government? Yes, I'm talking about the US.

If you look at our situation, it's truly hopeless. There are a few very wealthy, influential people and special interest groups on the top, embedded in our government; the NRA, Pharmaceutical companies, billion-dollar industries with equally rich leaders, etc. Even if the supposed "Left" impeaches Trump, we get... Pence. He's a religious zealot who's worse than Trump simply because he's not at that same level of idiocy. After him, we get the selfish, psychopathic Ryan with his "screw you, I got mine! mentality of government. Then we get the real winner... Orin Hatch - the octogenarian Mormon who's waiting for his Heavenly Father to beam him up to his sacred planet Kolob, at any moment (I only wish I was exaggerating that!).

Our Supreme Court is now, forever slanted to the will of these people, after being cram packed with them, thanks to their cronies in DC offices. Not to mention, our Justices serve for life. Democracy doesn't apply to them, since there are no term limits or elections and they are not selected via a democratic process.

Our Legislative Branch has been gerrymandered beyond recognition, to diminish the "Blue" voter's influence. Large concentrations of those voters are bunched together in one district, while the outlying voters are pushed into "Red" districts, essentially removing their votes in local elections for Congressmen and Senators, giving the one solitary condensed Blue district one vote, while those thinly filled Red districts get several.

Even our supposed "Liberal" Left is a laughable attempt as a fake Progressive agenda, while the Democrats happily marry themselves to Conservative values that used to be considered the Republican platform back in the 80's.

We're a country where half the population doesn't get a say in who our leaders will be, since half the voters aren't registered with either major party who decides the candidates and therefor, can't vote for them, as Hillary's primary campaign made crystal clear. The minority-elected leadership then rigs the system to ensure that any opposition vote won't count and can't be heard, when they redraw the voting districts. If lucky enough to be in office when a Supreme Court seat is open, they then get to decide among their like-minded friends, who they want to place in that open seat.

The United States no longer has a democratic government at the helm. Comparing it to Nazi Germany would be accurate right about now, except, of course, the whole genocide thing! Those of us who do oppose what our government has become and is doing, lack any power to change it.

In light of this, under what conditions and how long do you think it will take to get there, would US citizens start to qualify for asylum in other countries like Canada? 

Under what conditions ?    Having sex with an underage minor and being sentenced to 30 years in prison, to wit:

A Florida sex offender who had sex with a 16-year-old boy and fled to Saskatchewan, where she claimed asylum, has been granted refugee status in Canada.

Denise Harvey, 47, was convicted in 2008 of five counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor, a boy who was on her son’s baseball team. She is wanted in the U.S., where she is facing a 30-year prison sentence.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/florida-sex-offender-who-had-relations-with-16-year-old-granted-refugee-status-in-canada

On 10/8/2018 at 4:58 PM, Lerxst said:

I realize that Canada follows the UN guidelines of asylum. Most of it refers to immediate threat of harm, but... what about a first-world country that has third-world statistics in its social welfare policies and lack of a democratic process in its government? Yes, I'm talking about the US.

If you look at our situation, it's truly hopeless. There are a few very wealthy, influential people and special interest groups on the top, embedded in our government; the NRA, Pharmaceutical companies, billion-dollar industries with equally rich leaders, etc. Even if the supposed "Left" impeaches Trump, we get... Pence. He's a religious zealot who's worse than Trump simply because he's not at that same level of idiocy. After him, we get the selfish, psychopathic Ryan with his "screw you, I got mine! mentality of government. Then we get the real winner... Orin Hatch - the octogenarian Mormon who's waiting for his Heavenly Father to beam him up to his sacred planet Kolob, at any moment (I only wish I was exaggerating that!).

Our Supreme Court is now, forever slanted to the will of these people, after being cram packed with them, thanks to their cronies in DC offices. Not to mention, our Justices serve for life. Democracy doesn't apply to them, since there are no term limits or elections and they are not selected via a democratic process.

Our Legislative Branch has been gerrymandered beyond recognition, to diminish the "Blue" voter's influence. Large concentrations of those voters are bunched together in one district, while the outlying voters are pushed into "Red" districts, essentially removing their votes in local elections for Congressmen and Senators, giving the one solitary condensed Blue district one vote, while those thinly filled Red districts get several.

Even our supposed "Liberal" Left is a laughable attempt as a fake Progressive agenda, while the Democrats happily marry themselves to Conservative values that used to be considered the Republican platform back in the 80's.

We're a country where half the population doesn't get a say in who our leaders will be, since half the voters aren't registered with either major party who decides the candidates and therefor, can't vote for them, as Hillary's primary campaign made crystal clear. The minority-elected leadership then rigs the system to ensure that any opposition vote won't count and can't be heard, when they redraw the voting districts. If lucky enough to be in office when a Supreme Court seat is open, they then get to decide among their like-minded friends, who they want to place in that open seat.

The United States no longer has a democratic government at the helm. Comparing it to Nazi Germany would be accurate right about now, except, of course, the whole genocide thing! Those of us who do oppose what our government has become and is doing, lack any power to change it.

In light of this, under what conditions and how long do you think it will take to get there, would US citizens start to qualify for asylum in other countries like Canada? 

Oh my God another whiner!

God, I am so sick and tired of people like you whining about how evil their country is and not doing anything about it. If indeed America is evil, WHY DON'T PEOPLE LIKE YOU DESTROY IT AND KILL ALL AMERICANS!?

What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you waste your time typing that crap huh big boy? You think, you're going to get results from this worthless site? You think you're going to change the world?

Destroy your country and kill all 325,000,000 of your own people, there you GO, PROBLEM SOLVED! No more America, no more problem!!! Jesus effing Christ!

I just want to punch people like you in the nose really really hard! So whiny!

On 10/8/2018 at 2:58 AM, Lerxst said:

1) The United States no longer has a democratic government at the helm. Comparing it to Nazi Germany would be accurate right about now, except, of course, the whole genocide thing! Those of us who do oppose what our government has become and is doing, lack any power to change it.

2) In light of this, under what conditions and how long do you think it will take to get there, would US citizens start to qualify for asylum in other countries like Canada? 

1) That's utterly ridiculous hyperbole.  A nation that elected a black man to two back-to-back terms 10 years ago is not accurately a 'Nazi' country.

2) Severe economic conditions, but then Canada would be suffering too.  

If you know the history of Canada and the US you can see that while the current situation is indeed unprecedented and worthy of concern, there are limiting factors to both governments and guaranteed freedoms still.  Hyperbolic accusations have also led us here, because the US "public" is now immune to dire warnings so thanks for that.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) That's utterly ridiculous hyperbole.  A nation that elected a black man to two back-to-back terms 10 years ago is not accurately a 'Nazi' country.

2) Severe economic conditions, but then Canada would be suffering too.  

If you know the history of Canada and the US you can see that while the current situation is indeed unprecedented and worthy of concern, there are limiting factors to both governments and guaranteed freedoms still.  Hyperbolic accusations have also led us here, because the US "public" is now immune to dire warnings so thanks for that.

A "Black Man" worth how many millions, graduating from which school, working which career again? He wasn't some "gang banger" from a ghetto, or a "blues man" from Mississippi. Nor was he a "rebel" like Maclom X or Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He was a conformist, smooth talking, multi-millionaire that can sit up there with the best Conservatives Republicans have to offer.... Clarence Thomas for instance (another "black man").

Get past the "race cards" and see the politicians for who and what they are. Obama started and continued endless wars, with hundreds of drone strikes, and billions of dollars worth of Wall Street bail-outs - he was hardly a Liberal and not nearly the "Leftist" Fox News gripes about. The only classical Liberal thing Obama had any say in, was same sex marriage. Even his "Obamacare" is a Conservative Utopia for billion-dollar insurance companies.

The fact that people voted for his skin color and then call themselves "Liberals" is exactly why the US is screwed. Those are the people who should be holding the sit-ins, protesting the government, and raising Hell on the streets, but they're just "Republican-Lites" at this point in the political climate and are totally ok with letting actual issue slide under the radar.

These are the same people that raised hell about a "Russian conspiracy" after Trump won the election, but never once... at any point... questioned WHAT those leaked emails contained. The fact that they exposed, verbatim, the overt acts of corruption in the Democratic Party, is irrelevant for this group of supposed "Liberals". They act like a prisoner blaming their sentence on the security camera in the bank they robbed.

If we have Republicans supporting a guy who states his gender relations as "grabbing women by their..." yeahhh... that Right Wing is too far gone to rely on for anything useful at any point in the future. If we have the Democrats being totally fine with extreme levels of corruption in their own political party and taking a "whatever it takes" mentality to simply winning seats, instead of addressing issues, then they're as equally useless to us as the Republicans.

So where's this change supposed to come from that will magically shift the US off the course it's taken? The third parties, which don't have the money to have a say in our politics? The US democracy is too corrupt to actually function as a democracy anymore. If we were any other country, going through the same changes, the UN would start placing us on watch lists.

6 hours ago, paulagnes1745 said:

Oh my God another whiner!

God, I am so sick and tired of people like you whining about how evil their country is and not doing anything about it. If indeed America is evil, WHY DON'T PEOPLE LIKE YOU DESTROY IT AND KILL ALL AMERICANS!?

What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you waste your time typing that crap huh big boy? You think, you're going to get results from this worthless site? You think you're going to change the world?

Destroy your country and kill all 325,000,000 of your own people, there you GO, PROBLEM SOLVED! No more America, no more problem!!! Jesus effing Christ!

I just want to punch people like you in the nose really really hard! So whiny!

Thank you for proving my point!

If I criticize Clinton, I'm called a sexist and people want to run me down with their cars. If I criticize Trump, people start showing me their "Second Amendment rights", tucked under their jackets. If I wave a gun of my own around the government, they could just drone-strike my house while I sleep. If I threaten anyone in DC, the nice men in black suits take me away to an undisclosed location.

So how does one go about changing anything in a system like this? Go on... I'm all ears.