Ford-Kavanaugh Sexual Assault Allegation

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

Can a democracy thrive without an independent judiciary? I suspect not.

I think your question cuts even harder into the issue when its asked the other way around.  Did nobody ever stop to consider the threat to a judiciary's independence that a withering democracy poses?

Judge Kavanaugh has been voted out of committee for a Senate floor vote.  Calls for a "quicky" FBI investigation continue.

Hardball, backroom politics is in play.

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Friday on an 11-10 party-line vote, with all Republicans supporting President Donald Trump’s pick and all Democrats voting against him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/senate-judiciary-committee-postpones-kavanaugh-decision-friday-afternoon-n914676

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Judge Kavanaugh has been voted out of committee for a Senate floor vote.  Calls for a "quicky" FBI investigation continue.

The Judiciary Committee doesn't speak for or act on behalf of the entire GOP Senate caucus. Reportedly, Sen. Jeff Flake is now asking for an FBI investigation. If Flake is serious, it will only take one other GOP senator, be that Collins or Murkowsky, to put the brakes on a quick-and-dirty confirmation next week.

1 minute ago, turningrite said:

The Judiciary Committee doesn't speak for or act on behalf of the entire GOP Senate caucus. Reportedly, Sen. Jeff Flake is now asking for an FBI investigation. If Flake is serious, it will only take one other GOP senator, be that Collins or Murkowsky, to put the brakes on a quick-and-dirty confirmation next week.

Sen. Flake has not indicated he will vote "No" if an investigation is not forthcoming.   Lots of arm twisting will happen before the full Senate vote.

2 hours ago, betsy said:

He is in a fight of his life - fighting for his family, his name, his reputation, his career, his legacy........and you expect him to be devoid of any emotions?  

1.) Where are you getting that for a fact???   How do you know he has little accurate recollection?

2.) I don't think he was trying to garner any sympathy.   He was expressing his anger and outrage.....which is only normal.

1.) Because he has said so. This has been part of his defense. And others reportedly present at the time have also argued lack of recall of the events raised by Dr. Ford.

2.) My point is that his approach was problematic and ill-considered from a strategic perspective, which is odd given that he is a lawyer and a judge. As legal commentators pointed out on news outlets I watched yesterday, lawyers usually advise their clients, whether innocent or otherwise, not to appear angry or aggressive before a court. Essentially, albeit in an extraordinary fashion, Kavanaugh is on trial here for his past behavior. His anger and defiance made him appear entitled, which while perhaps appealing to the other entitled males likely rendered him unsympathetic to many others, potentially including the wavering GOP senators, two of whom are females, who will determine the fate of his Supreme Court bid.

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Sen. Flake has not indicated he will vote "No" if an investigation is not forthcoming.   Lots of arm twisting will happen before the full Senate vote.

No, but at the very least it strongly suggests that he is wavering. We'll have to see what Collins and Murkowski intend to do. The slim GOP majority in the Senate didn't get Trump a win on his first attempt to dismantle Obamacare. He got a second kick at that can. However. I believe that if Kavanaugh's confirmation vote fails there isn't a similar opportunity for a do-over. If the vote is delayed beyond early next week, it's fair bet that the wavering GOP senators aren't on side.

14 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well then his act today would have been pointless then. He's a Lame-Duck Senator. Has nothing to lose. 

31 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I won't be surprised that this is Republican's way of getting out gracefully from digging in about not wanting any FBI investigation.   I suspect the Reps realize it's better that Kavanaugh not get confirmed with a cloud hanging over his head - and it wouldn't be good going to the mid-terms with it.

Lindsey Grahams' face looked relieved, and he seemed upbeat when asked by reporters about it.

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, betsy said:

???? 

Said what, exactly?

Read, lady, read! Please! The information is readily available if you look for it. Don't speak on the basis of ignorance and then demand that others prove their claims.

Kavanaugh's position, supported by many of those alleged to have been present during the period that Dr. Ford's complaint covers, has been widely reported both inside the U.S. and around the world. Look at he article below in a UK outlet, which succinctly states "Judge Brett Kavanaugh said he does not recall having any memorable interactions with Christine Blasey Ford, a 51-year-old research psychologist and professor who accused him of sexually assaulting her in the 1980s."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/kavanaugh-doesnt-remember-christine-ford-supreme-court-2018-9

22 minutes ago, turningrite said:

No, but at the very least it strongly suggests that he is wavering. We'll have to see what Collins and Murkowski intend to do. The slim GOP majority in the Senate didn't get Trump a win on his first attempt to dismantle Obamacare. He got a second kick at that can. However. I believe that if Kavanaugh's confirmation vote fails there isn't a similar opportunity for a do-over. If the vote is delayed beyond early next week, it's fair bet that the wavering GOP senators aren't on side.

I don't think wavering is the right word....calculating is better.   The upside of having an investigation is that several democrats may also come onside because they face re-election in Trump states.   Parts of Obamacare have already been dismantled by the tax legislation and collapsing insurance market.

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't think wavering is the right word....calculating is better.   The upside of having an investigation is that several democrats may also come onside because they face re-election in Trump states.  

I think that if the GOP senators think they can win a vote they'll hold one as quickly as possible. If they don't think they can win, the vote will be postponed, likely until after an FBI investigation, which either the Senate or Trump would have to initiate, is concluded. Until yesterday's events, I think Kavanaugh's confirmation was a foregone conclusion. One legal analyst on a U.S. news channel noted last night that it's now likely a '50-50' proposition. In other words, Kavanaugh's approach yesterday didn't help his cause. The applicable standard in the so-called '#metoo' era has shifted, something Kavanaugh and his supporters don't apparently appreciate. As I've said previously under this topic, I don't think it's entirely fair but it's a reality nonetheless.

14 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't think wavering is the right word....calculating is better.   The upside of having an investigation is that several democrats may also come onside because they face re-election in Trump states.   Parts of Obamacare have already been dismantled by the tax legislation and collapsing insurance market.

The democrats will be sticking together like glue no matter what. They have taken FLAKY for a fool and he fell for their nonsense. Those democrats may say that they may vote for Kavanaugh if everything is held up for another week but anyone with an ounce of brains should know by now that the democrats are nothing more than a bunch of liars. Flaky was a fool to go along with their stall tactics again and now another week will be wasted and all for nothing. All the democrats are doing here is trying to buy time. If Kavanaugh gets on the SC the democrats know that the jig is up for them. Their dream of trying to turn America into a communist nightmare will be over. 

8 minutes ago, turningrite said:

I think that if the GOP senators think they can win a vote they'll hold one as quickly as possible. If they don't think they can win, the vote will be postponed, likely until after an FBI investigation, which either the Senate or Trump would have to initiate, is concluded. Until yesterday's events, I think Kavanaugh's confirmation was a foregone conclusion. One legal analyst on a U.S. news channel noted last night that it's now likely a '50-50' proposition. In other words, Kavanaugh's approach yesterday didn't help his cause. The applicable standard in the so-called '#metoo' era has shifted, something Kavanaugh and his supporters don't apparently appreciate. As I've said previously under this topic, I don't think it's entirely fair but it's a reality nonetheless.

The GOP had a chance to wrap it all up but thanks to FLAKY he has now screwed up everything. Why fools like him want to continue to play these silly and ridiculous democratic games is beyond me. Playing fire with a bunch of democratic communists is playing with fire and could get Flaky burnt. This is just more delays by the donkeys to try and stop the process from going forward. If Kavanaugh is appointed as he should be than the democrats will have lost their push for more programs agendas of trying to turn America into a communist hell hole. 

The reality is that Kavanaugh should be sitting on the SC bench right now. 

17 minutes ago, turningrite said:

But still not materially different from 51-49...50-50 just means that VP Pence breaks the tie.

The democrats will keep throwing whatever they can at this nomination, hoping for anything to stick, and cause further delay.  

I don't particularly care if Kavanaugh is confirmed, it just means another circus round for the next Trump candidate with or without GOP Senate control.

IIRC, nominee Robert Bork was even taken down with videotape rental records from a retailer !

2 minutes ago, taxme said:

The GOP had a chance to wrap it all up but thanks to FLAKY he has now screwed up everything. Why fools like him want to continue to play these silly and ridiculous democratic games is beyond me. Playing fire with a bunch of democratic communists is playing with fire and could get Flaky burnt. This is just more delays by the donkeys to try and stop the process from going forward. If Kavanaugh is appointed as he should be than the democrats will have lost their push for more programs agendas of trying to turn America into a communist hell hole. 

The reality is that Kavanaugh should be sitting on the SC bench right now. 

Flake owes Trump nothing at this point. Trump sunk Flake's quest to win the GOP senate nom in Arizona and has nothing to lose in snubbing Trump on his way out the door. Blowback is always a problem in politics. If the battle to get Kavanaugh's nomination confirmed is lost, and particularly if the GOP loses control of one or both houses of Congress, Trump's strategy regarding Flake will have completely backfired. And who knows at this point what Collins and Murkowsky will do? It is division within the GOP itself rather than obstruction by the Dems that could well sink this ship. 

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

But still not materially different from 51-49...50-50 just means that VP Pence breaks the tie.

The democrats will keep throwing whatever they can at this nomination, hoping for anything to stick, and cause further delay.  

You're forgetting Collins and Murkowsky?

7 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Flake owes Trump nothing at this point. Trump sunk Flake's quest to win the GOP senate nom in Arizona and has nothing to lose in snubbing Trump on his way out the door. Blowback is always a problem in politics. If the battle to get Kavanaugh's nomination confirmed is lost, and particularly if the GOP loses control of one or both houses of Congress, Trump's strategy regarding Flake will have completely backfired. And who knows at this point what Collins and Murkowsky will do? It is division within the GOP itself rather than obstruction by the Dems that could well sink this ship. 

It's typical of what conservatives/Republicans like to always do among themselves. Fight among themselves. When it comes to the democrats/liberals they will always stick together no matter what the consequences. The ten democratic senators stuck together today as expected during the vote. Not one broke ranks and went along with the Republicans. It's time for the Republicans to play the same game. Stick together no matter what. The democrats are like communists? They can never be trusted. They will get suckers like Flaky to go along with their madness and demands. The democrats are only concerned about the democratic party and the people be dammed. Christine Ford is just another tool to be used by that bunch of crybaby lackey losers to be later dumped and forgotten about when they are not needed anymore. When one deals with the devil democrats one will surely end up living in hell later. 

1 hour ago, Hal 9000 said:

That smug looking face of hers says it all. She is pretty much showing us all here that she is a supporting democrat and that her aim here is to try and make sure that Kavanaugh never makes it to the supreme court. She is just another lying democrat. Even her best friend pretty much said that she is not telling the truth here. The democrats are in a do or die situation and will say or do or try anything to stop Kavanaugh from making it to the supreme court. If Kavanaugh does the democrats know that they are now dead in the water. Their communist programs and agendas for America and Americans will be pretty over and all of it will be drained back into their cesspool of a swamp. Flaky boy and other Republicans on the committee might just save their democratic bacon if he/they decide to flip. The conservative/Republican party is probably full of Judas type traitors. John McCain being one of the biggest Republican traitors of them all to America. 

2 hours ago, Boges said:

There's a point where you'd have to cut bait and try a different candidate. Trying to rush this obviously flawed candidate through shows that they only want him because of his views on executive privilege. 

There's no such thing as being flawed by lies.

So, an fbi investigation. ..An interesting point here.

If the FBI clears Kavanaugh after a week or at least cannot corroborate stories, and Democrat Senators still vote no, they will appear hyper partisan and anti-due process right before the midterms.  Is it possible this is a major trap for Democrats.