New American States

Will Alberta, Saskatwchewan, mainland BC join the US?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, paxamericana said:

Um, I brought my gun with me to Canada, downtown vancouver... was pretty easy. Your border and gun law means nothing. Also why are you all so afraid of guns. People who live in the less populated area have to protect themselves from bears you know.

Just curious. Did you declare your gun at the Canadian border? How did you manage to get thru with that gun and were able to take that gun with you to Vancouver? I believe that the border guards ask all Americans at the border as to whether they are carrying or not. I am not completely sure as to whether Americans can bring guns into Canada. Just wondering. 

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Which of the two countries has drawn on NATO’s support?  We’ve spent a lot of time and treasure supporting US adventures and defending allies from their enemies. I’m glad for the postWW2 alliance. America should be too.  Russia and China are willing to take the lead, as Pompeo has acknowledged.  Relinquishing NATO is tantamount to relinquishing American hegemony. 

Forget NATO....deadbeat Canada certainly won't pay its fair share.    America was drawn into far larger world wars of British Empire (including Canada) consequence long before NATO.  Canada can choose to orbit a different superpower yet again.   America does not owe the world post WW2 "hegemony" forever on the backs of American taxpayers.

Instead of threatening to become a U.S. state, maybe threaten to become a Russian Federation subject (e.g. republic, oblast, or krais)....or a province of China.

Much depends on the US’s ability to rally countries to its vision for the world, if such a vision still exists.  Interestingly, without US leadership allies will likely rely more on global institutions, which runs counter to the goal of exceptionalism that US nationalists prefer. 

Stop depending on the USA's ability to do things that Canada and other nations will not & cannot do for themselves.   If your vision of the future still depends on decisions made by the United States, then it will be the same as the past.   Americans don't wake up each day hoping that Canada's economy will save them.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

On a related note, Americans living in the Northwest Angle reject the idea of joining Canada:

Folks living in Minnesota’s northernmost nub love Canadians.

They just don’t want to be one.

So when word got around this week about a petition asking that the scenic Northwest Angle be given back to Canada, it didn’t go over well.

angle.JPG?auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=1

http://www.startribune.com/give-the-northwest-angle-to-canada-residents-say-no-thanks/503813472/

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Forget NATO....deadbeat Canada certainly won't pay its fair share.    America was drawn into far larger world wars of British Empire (including Canada) consequence long before NATO.  Canada can choose to orbit a different superpower yet again.   America does not owe the world post WW2 "hegemony" forever on the backs of American taxpayers.

Instead of threatening to become a U.S. state, maybe threaten to become a Russian Federation subject (e.g. republic, oblast, or krais)....or a province of China.

Stop depending on the USA's ability to do things that Canada and other nations will not & cannot do for themselves.   If your vision of the future still depends on decisions made by the United States, then it will be the same as the past.   Americans don't wake up each day hoping that Canada's economy will save them.

I’m merely commenting on actions by the current US administration that have demonstrated the US’s further retreat.  Oh well. Maybe the world is better off with multi-polar and UN guidance than current belligerent US leadership.  Americans will watch their influence shrink like Britain watched her empire decline.  Probably doesn’t matter for Canada. Meanwhile China lands a spacecraft on the dark side of the Moon...

9 hours ago, taxme said:

Just curious. Did you declare your gun at the Canadian border? How did you manage to get thru with that gun and were able to take that gun with you to Vancouver? I believe that the border guards ask all Americans at the border as to whether they are carrying or not. I am not completely sure as to whether Americans can bring guns into Canada. Just wondering. 

Simple, just act like a typical american tourist. Just told them where you are going and what you are doing. Legally you have to declare them and obtain a permit for the "restricted" class of guns, most handguns and semi auto rifles etc... 

But really its out of necessity to bring my gun, didn't have anywhere else to store it. I will concede that guns are not needed in canada for the purpose of self defense at least. Everyone was polite by american standards.

6 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I’m merely commenting on actions by the current US administration that have demonstrated the US’s further retreat.  Oh well. Maybe the world is better off with multi-polar and UN guidance than current belligerent US leadership.  Americans will watch their influence shrink like Britain watched her empire decline.  Probably doesn’t matter for Canada. Meanwhile China lands a spacecraft on the dark side of the Moon...

Why is American influence so important to you/Canada ?     Does the threat of America statehood represent this continued dependence ?

Americans walked on the Moon almost 50 years ago.

4 hours ago, paxamericana said:

Simple, just act like a typical american tourist. Just told them where you are going and what you are doing. Legally you have to declare them and obtain a permit for the "restricted" class of guns, most handguns and semi auto rifles etc... 

But really its out of necessity to bring my gun, didn't have anywhere else to store it. I will concede that guns are not needed in canada for the purpose of self defense at least. Everyone was polite by american standards.

So you got lucky and got a way with not declaring your gun. Lucky you. I too feel and can see that it would be a real necessity to carry a gun around with you in America. Although in Canada now there appears to be a time coming when Canadians may need to carry a hand gun with them just to protect themselves or protect others from being shot because of the many shootings that have been going on in the streets and malls of Toronto and Vancouver these days. Too many innocent Canadians are being injured or killed because of those morons that like to go around and shoot people in broad daylight in many public places. Indeed, Canadians can be quite polite at times. Just saying. 

25 minutes ago, taxme said:

So you got lucky and got a way with not declaring your gun. Lucky you. I too feel and can see that it would be a real necessity to carry a gun around with you in America. Although in Canada now there appears to be a time coming when Canadians may need to carry a hand gun with them just to protect themselves or protect others from being shot because of the many shootings that have been going on in the streets and malls of Toronto and Vancouver these days. Too many innocent Canadians are being injured or killed because of those morons that like to go around and shoot people in broad daylight in many public places. Indeed, Canadians can be quite polite at times. Just saying. 

It’s been the worst year on record for gun violence in Toronto and Tory isn’t taking action. All handguns should be banned.  It hasn’t helped the optics for immigration nor the lobby that pushed to end carding, since police are complaining that they can’t go into communities and question people.  I still support that lobby and ending carding. It does make policing more challenging though.  That’s the deal. 

13 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

um we did that over 40 years ago... Everyone is just playing catch up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I know. I was being a brat to give you and BC something to get up and arms about when you’re not eating kittens. The space adventures are exciting and it would be an achievement to go to Mars, but is it worth the expense?  I’m not sure anymore. 

We know....it is a very, very Canadian thing to do.    Americans have been getting that from Canada since 1969....even as NASA hired Canada's unemployed aerospace engineers.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

We know....it is a very, very Canadian thing to do.    Americans have been getting that from Canada since 1969....even as NASA hired Canada's unemployed aerospace engineers.

Don’t knock the CSA.  It was the the third best space agency after the US and the Soviets.  Not bad for a small country.  Now of course China is making big strides and may lead the space race soon.  Here’s what it comes down to, and this is what I honestly think and hope.  No country can or should go it alone.  We need to get past our petty disputes and take positive global action without trouncing on local cultural values.  It would be wasteful for one country to try to send people to Mars.  This is a human endeavour that should involve all interested countries, including Russia and China.  To get great things done we need to improve these international relationships.  Obama tried to do that. Trump has chosen to be divisive.  It’s not too late to turn around the ship, but his legacy is already quite well established.

If you want to take over Canada or anywhere else, the only effective way to do it is by winning hearts and minds.  In the end you have to deal with local populations and voters.  People have to want to buy what you’re peddling. How do you inspire people?  You obviously think you’ve got an inroad with Alberta right now because the Trudeaus have been unpopular there (going back to the NEP), but Albertans aren’t stupid.  They know some Americans just want their oil.  

Harper was popular in Alberta because he was a big low-tax, resource development guy who had talked about building a firewall around Alberta.  Some Prime Ministers have more popularity in some regions of the country than others. Trudeau is trying to support the Trans Mountain and Keystone pipelines in Alberta, but he also has to deal with the tree huggers in BC who want none of it.  Why is it also okay for Quebec to simply shut down Energy East?  I think there are times when a PM has to say, “Sorry folks, this project is in the whole country’s interests”, but of course that poses a challenge to national unity and support of the federal government. Do you think any of our provinces think that their interests would be better served if they were part of the US?  Think of Manifest Destiny.  The individual characters of provinces would be downplayed and subsumed in a much larger country with a changing and sometimes sketchy agenda that would put the interests of Canadian provinces behind too many other national interests.  As said before, Canada could only be part of the US if there was a net gain in freedoms and opportunity.  It would have to be decided by the people of Canada, which is supported by the US Constitution, which has an open invitation to Canada for statehood.  Consider that the price you pay for stealing Loyalist possessions and taring and feathering people.  Being a bit facetious here.

Trudeau must get Trans Mountain built and use the notwithstanding clause to get around court decisions if need be.  Sorry British Columbia.  Quebec is more delicate and requires a longer term plan.  I suggest building Energy East as far as Ontario and building refineries in Central or Northern Ontario to convert the oil to gas that can be distributed to the large Souhern Ontario and Great Lakes US markets — and even to Quebec by rail.  Participating provinces would receive some royalties (an incentive to get Quebec on board, though it might never happen).  Trudeau’s commitment to these projects should improve the federal government’s relations with Alberta.  Don’t forget that the left leaning Alberta government under Notley was committed to the federal government’s climate change action plan.  Trudeau didn’t force it upon them.  We do have national goals that can change come election time.  

On 1/3/2019 at 2:49 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Forget NATO....deadbeat Canada certainly won't pay its fair share.    America was drawn into far larger world wars of British Empire (including Canada) consequence long before NATO. 

And the USA chose to stay and even initiate long lasting wars long after being part of NATO. If you want to create war, don't expect your neighbors to contribute or pay for it when they decide 'not our problem'. 

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Don’t knock the CSA.  It was the the third best space agency after the US and the Soviets.  Not bad for a small country....  Obama tried to do that. Trump has chosen to be divisive.  It’s not too late to turn around the ship, but his legacy is already quite well established.

Who's knocking the CSA ?    It was the A.V. Roe collapse that forced so many Canadian engineers to flee south.   Even Obama had a "Buy American" policy to the detriment of Canadian contracts.  

If you want to take over Canada or anywhere else, the only effective way to do it is by winning hearts and minds.  In the end you have to deal with local populations and voters.  People have to want to buy what you’re peddling. How do you inspire people?  You obviously think you’ve got an inroad with Alberta right now because the Trudeaus have been unpopular there (going back to the NEP), but Albertans aren’t stupid.  They know some Americans just want their oil. 

...and Albertans/Canadians just want American capital investment and access to the U.S. market.    Sun Oil (Sunoco) did not start in Canada.

.... As said before, Canada could only be part of the US if there was a net gain in freedoms and opportunity.  It would have to be decided by the people of Canada, which is supported by the US Constitution, which has an open invitation to Canada for statehood.  Consider that the price you pay for stealing Loyalist possessions and taring and feathering people.  Being a bit facetious here.

False....it was the Articles of Confederation that enumerated statehood for Canada, not the U.S. Constitution in final form.   Canada was America's oldest and closest...ENEMY...because of allegiance to royal masters across the pond.

...  Don’t forget that the left leaning Alberta government under Notley was committed to the federal government’s climate change action plan.  Trudeau didn’t force it upon them.  We do have national goals that can change come election time.  

....but whining about separation and U.S. statehood for domestic political leverage lives on and on.

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Who's knocking the CSA ?    It was the A.V. Roe collapse that forced so many Canadian engineers to flee south.   Even Obama had a "Buy American" policy to the detriment of Canadian contracts.  

...and Albertans/Canadians just want American capital investment and access to the U.S. market.    Sun Oil (Sunoco) did not start in Canada.

False....it was the Articles of Confederation that enumerated statehood for Canada, not the U.S. Constitution in final form.   Canada was America's oldest and closest...ENEMY...because of allegiance to royal masters across the pond.

....but whining about separation and U.S. statehood for domestic political leverage lives on and on.

I think the rest of the oil sands should be nationalized to prevent further foreign takeovers.  National security...

22 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I know. I was being a brat to give you and BC something to get up and arms about when you’re not eating kittens. The space adventures are exciting and it would be an achievement to go to Mars, but is it worth the expense?  I’m not sure anymore. 

I'm fully aware of the superior rocket engine the Russians had back in the 80s and early 2000s. The soviet RD-170 design is more efficient than the Saturn V that put Armstrong on the moon.

Robert Ballard is a big critic of space exploration, says the money used could be used to explore the seas and find ways of living on/under the sea. 

Also...

a02.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 9:28 PM, Zeitgeist said:

The globalist international bankers have trillions of dollars put away in their piggy banks. They all could pay off every country and everyone's debt in the world if they wanted too and still have hundreds of billions left over. They can then replace those trillions in no time by putting that money back into their piggy bank just by creating that money out of thin air from the power that they have in the creation of money. Then they could take and use some of those trillions to travel to Mars. A lot more of a fun thing to do then always trying to start wars somewhere. The world and it's people are getting tired of wars. Put that war money into something more worth while instead of using it to destroy property, cause many injuries and deaths. Works for me.  

:D

On 1/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, paxamericana said:

I'm fully aware of the superior rocket engine the Russians had back in the 80s and early 2000s. The soviet RD-170 design is more efficient than the Saturn V that put Armstrong on the moon.

Robert Ballard is a big critic of space exploration, says the money used could be used to explore the seas and find ways of living on/under the sea. 

Also...

a02.jpg

Where or how would it be possible for humans to be able to live under the sea? That would amount to one hell of a big project to try and complete. I think the idea is a bit ridiculous. I would prefer to explore space instead. It would be a lot more interesting to see what the hell is out that. We all know what is on the bottom of the sea. Water. :D

Edited by taxme

On 1/9/2019 at 3:46 AM, taxme said:

:D

Where or how would it be possible for humans to be able to live under the sea? That would amount to one hell of a big project to try and complete. I think the idea is a bit ridiculous. I would prefer to explore space instead. It would be a lot more interesting to see what the hell is out that. We all know what is on the bottom of the sea. Water. :D

But we can see far enough to know that there is no body is space which in conducive to self sustaining human habitation with any comparable quality of life, within realistic transit times by anything less than high subliminal velocity by constant acceleration, which while theoretically possible is at this juncture "magic" at foreseeable horizon technological development.

Whereas undersea infrastructure would allow us to create new sovereign states in intentional waters without having to go war to seize territory ashore, starting those from scratch without the baggage of established orders.

Thus I find the sea to be a far more viable, interesting and dynamic medium for prospective human colonization than the frozen quasi-infinite largely featureless vacuum of space-time, on a  timescale which would be of any significance at all to we and/or our progeny for many generations to come.