New American States

Will Alberta, Saskatwchewan, mainland BC join the US?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...

I think it would ease a lot of tensions if the two countries were a bit freer with each other.  Treat each other more like we are different states within the same country without trouncing on local laws and jurisdictions.  Let the US be itself and let Canada be itself, but allow complete freedom of work and residence between the two countries.  Obey local, provincial/state, and federal laws.  Pay taxes as a local would.  It doesn't have to impact domestic policy one bit.  We can even leave defense, health, and other differences out of it.  When in America live as an American.  When in Canada live as a Canadian.  If you want access to health care, voting, and other rights of a citizen, either become a citizen or attach those privileges to a minimum residency requirement, say two years.  That's how it works in the EU.  We wouldn't have to deal with any of the EU nonsense of transfer payments to other countries or a new federal government for a new union. That's what the Brits resented.  I think it would strengthen both countries and give the citizens of both countries more opportunities.  I don't see it happening under the current governments.  There's too much distrust and not enough vision.  I think it could've happened under Reagan and Mulroney or Clinton and Chretien, but Trump and Trudeau?  We're dealing with nonsense like steel and aluminum tariffs...

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think it would strengthen both countries and give the citizens of both countries more opportunities.  I don't see it happening under the current governments.  There's too much distrust and not enough vision.  I think it could've happened under Reagan and Mulroney or Clinton and Chretien, but Trump and Trudeau?  We're dealing with nonsense like steel and aluminum tariffs...

Good, because it should not happen anyway.   Obviously Canada would benefit far more from such an arrangement based on existing (2:1) cross border flow compared to Americans going north.   There are reasons why the border exists, and those reasons have not changed.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think it would ease a lot of tensions if the two countries were a bit freer with each other.  Treat each other more like we are different states within the same country without trouncing on local laws and jurisdictions.  Let the US be itself and let Canada be itself, but allow complete freedom of work and residence between the two countries.  Obey local, provincial/state, and federal laws.  Pay taxes as a local would.  It doesn't have to impact domestic policy one bit.  We can even leave defense, health, and other differences out of it.  When in America live as an American.  When in Canada live as a Canadian.  If you want access to health care, voting, and other rights of a citizen, either become a citizen or attach those privileges to a minimum residency requirement, say two years.  That's how it works in the EU.  We wouldn't have to deal with any of the EU nonsense of transfer payments to other countries or a new federal government for a new union. That's what the Brits resented.  I think it would strengthen both countries and give the citizens of both countries more opportunities.  I don't see it happening under the current governments.  There's too much distrust and not enough vision.  I think it could've happened under Reagan and Mulroney or Clinton and Chretien, but Trump and Trudeau?  We're dealing with nonsense like steel and aluminum tariffs...

Well at least you've admitted the cultural difference between the US and Canada is nil (excluding Quebec). 

Look, politically we don't want another California. That is why I propose Alberta getting twice the electoral college votes as the rest of Canada. 

With climate change on the rise Canada will have more habitable land that can accommodate the rest of America. You've don't want an influx of third world migrants who don't share any of your cultural similarities so you might as well take us. 

The prospect of asking Canada to choose between a Somalian pirate or gun toting Texan would be amusing. 

15 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Good, because it should not happen anyway.   Obviously Canada would benefit far more from such an arrangement based on existing (2:1) cross border flow compared to Americans going north.   There are reasons why the border exists, and those reasons have not changed.

Why the hell would we want to join a shit hole country like the us.....we are already rated 2nd best place to live.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:30 PM, Zeitgeist said:

Just give all citizens of both Canada and the USA dual citizenship for both countries. There are dual American and Canadian citizens already. We do not have to change any of our laws or other programs and agendas that both countries have. And for sure abolish all tariffs and duties for both countries. We could all just go and come as we please without too much interruptions at border crossing. That would work well for me.   :D

10 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Why the hell would we want to join a shit hole country like the us.....we are already rated 2nd best place to live.

Pffff. As if Canada is not fast becoming a shit hole. It is all just a matter of time before Canadians to have to face the fact that they have just about lost their country to foreign invaders. :unsure:

2 hours ago, taxme said:

Just give all citizens of both Canada and the USA dual citizenship for both countries. There are dual American and Canadian citizens already. We do not have to change any of our laws or other programs and agendas that both countries have. And for sure abolish all tariffs and duties for both countries. We could all just go and come as we please without too much interruptions at border crossing. That would work well for me.   :D

Actually that's not bad.  I could live with that.

7 hours ago, taxme said:

Pffff. As if Canada is not fast becoming a shit hole. It is all just a matter of time before Canadians to have to face the fact that they have just about lost their country to foreign invaders. :unsure:

Exactly who are these foreign invaders? 

14 hours ago, Iznogoud said:

Exactly who are these foreign invaders? 

The foreign invaders that Soros, Trudeau, and now Dave Axworthy(former liberal)where all three morons want to bring in tens of thousands of refugee so called migrants into Canada from the many non-western countries in the world. Axworthy is a part of that UN migrant scam that would like to swamp all the western countries with thousands of refugees where he has even suggested that Canada should take in all those so called migrants that are sitting on the American door steps in Tijuana that Trump does not want to let into America and rightly so. This prime mistake of yours will probably open the doors to all of them as requested by Soros and Axworthy. :(

We are off topic so I will not say anything more here about foreigners. Bye-bye.  :D

On 12/31/2018 at 4:38 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

While I find your comments both disingenuous and incorrect and probably worth ignoring, I’m going to take the bait on this one and respond.  

Don’t think for a moment that most Canadians think the US has a better functioning or healthier society than Canada.  We don’t and our policies demonstrate this. The US is a far more dangerous place.  What the US has to offer Canada is a warm winter retreat and New York City.  We have everything else: interesting, exciting cities, raw beauty, and actually more unspoiled cultural enclaves out East, in Quebec, and up north.  We’re also an energy and resource superpower, and not just in oil, natural gas, diamonds or or uranium. Canada will actually be a beneficiary of climate change, as new lands become arable and new shipping lanes open up such as the Northwest Passage.  In many ways the future is Canada.  Americans would be wise to get in on the ground floor, developing resources, investigating in our high priced and booming real estate, and so on.  Many are.  

In terms of the future safety and security of Americans, you may want a refuge in the north from the future ravages of climate change on your shores and the escalating violence due to your 2nd Amendment and growing political and economic polarization.  I’m keeping my Florida retreat for now.  I’ll try to flip it just before it falls in the ocean. 

The US could annex us but then you’d have to manage it and doing so would violate your own constitution.  Canada, like the US, is ruled by the people for the people.  Why not enjoy the differences rather than strip more countries of their identities and adding more banal sprawl.  Both countries can learn from the policies that have worked in both countries, but Americans tend to be more self-absorbed and it’s led to expressions like “ugly Americans”, which is an unfair characterization to the many well informed and decent Americans.  

I’d like to see our governments create more opportunities for the citizens of both countries through a kind of loose union, but we also want to keep our border and keep out your guns.  We have our own policies and priorities and you have yours.  It would take leaders with vision and guts.  It won’t be supported by paranoid or overly protectionist nationalists.  No offence. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

While I find your comments both disingenuous and incorrect and probably worth ignoring, I’m going to take the bait on this one and respond. 

They always do....

Don’t think for a moment that most Canadians think the US has a better functioning or healthier society than Canada.  We don’t and our policies demonstrate this. The US is a far more dangerous place.  What the US has to offer Canada is a warm winter retreat and New York City.  We have everything else: interesting, exciting cities, raw beauty, and actually more unspoiled cultural enclaves out East, in Quebec, and up north.  We’re also an energy and resource superpower, and not just in oil, natural gas, diamonds or or uranium. Canada will actually be a beneficiary of climate change, as new lands become arable and new shipping lanes open up such as the Northwest Passage.  In many ways the future is Canada.  Americans would be wise to get in on the ground floor, developing resources, investigating in our high priced and booming real estate, and so on.  Many are. 

That's great...but guess what....the U.S. has far more of those things already in play.    Americans have already bankrolled many projects in Canada, because it lacks sufficient domestic capital and market size.   American corps own 50% of Canada's manufacturing base, and a good portion of oil/bitumen production.   Canadians flee to the United States for much better opportunities as well (see "Brain Drain").

Canada thinks so little of the "ugly" United States, 75% of all exports go there.   No other country in the world is so dependent on a single nation for exports.  American media dominates Canada, and has done so for generations.   Enjoy those American Super Bowl® commercials again this year !

In terms of the future safety and security of Americans, you may want a refuge in the north from the future ravages of climate change on your shores and the escalating violence due to your 2nd Amendment and growing political and economic polarization.  I’m keeping my Florida retreat for now.  I’ll try to flip it just before it falls in the ocean.

Thanks for proving my point yet again...you have/want property in Florida....I have no property in Canada and don't need any.

The US could annex us but then you’d have to manage it and doing so would violate your own constitution.  Canada, like the US, is ruled by the people for the people.  Why not enjoy the differences rather than strip more countries of their identities and adding more banal sprawl.  Both countries can learn from the policies that have worked in both countries, but Americans tend to be more self-absorbed and it’s led to expressions like “ugly Americans”, which is also unfair to the many well informed and decent Americans. 

The U.S. has no need to annex Canada....everything is for sale, including "Canadian values".

I say again, far more Canadians visit/live in the United States than Americans going to Canada...and the U.S. has 10X the population.   I leave the math to you.

I’d like to see our governments create more opportunities for the citizens of both countries through a kind of loose union, but we also want to keep our border and keep out your guns.  We have our own policies and you have yours.  It would take leaders with vision and guts.  It won’t be supported by paranoid or overly protectionist nationalists.  No offence. 

Unlike you, I have no designs on what your government should or should not do.   Canada is for Canadians (where there are also plenty of guns).

But I understand your "paranoid" need to worry about what the Americans are doing...24/7.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They always do....

That's great...but guess what....the U.S. has far more of those things already in play.    Americans have already bankrolled many projects in Canada, because it lacks sufficient domestic capital and market size.   American corps own 50% of Canada's manufacturing base, and a good portion of oil/bitumen production.   Canadians flee to the United States for much better opportunities as well (see "Brain Drain").

Canada thinks so little of the "ugly" United States, 75% of all exports go there.   No other country in the world is so dependent on a single nation for exports.  American media dominates Canada, and has done so for generations.   Enjoy those American Super Bowl® commercials again this year !

Thanks for proving my point yet again...you have/want property in Florida....I have no property in Canada and don't need any.

The U.S. has no need to annex Canada....everything is for sale, including "Canadian values".

I say again, far more Canadians visit/live in the United States than Americans going to Canada...and the U.S. has 10X the population.   I leave the math to you.

Unlike you, I have no designs on what your government should or should not do.   Canada is for Canadians (where there are also plenty of guns).

But I understand your "paranoid" need to worry about what the Americans are doing...24/7.

Thankfully I don’t think you represent the views of most Americans.  I recommend learning more about countries with better functioning societies, such as Canada and the Scandinavian countries and revisiting some of your country’s policies, especially the 2nd Amendment.  I enjoy the US, but it’s more of a daytime experience, since you have to be so careful where you go at night.  It’s too bad because it detracts from the freedom and sense of security.  If you have the means, you can gate yourself off.  It’s a shame though because that’s what the rich have to do in very dangerous places like Columbia.  Improve your economic equality of opportunity, provide a better social safety net, and remove your handguns and automatic weapons.  You won’t, so you be you and we’ll be us. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Thankfully I don’t think you represent the views of most Americans.  I recommend learning more about countries with better functioning societies, such as Canada and the Scandinavian countries and revisiting some of your country’s policies, especially the 2nd Amendment.  I enjoy the US, but it’s more of a daytime experience, since you have to be so careful where you go at night.  It’s too bad because it detracts from the freedom and sense of security.  If you have the means, you can gate yourself off.  It’s a shame though because that’s what the rich have to do in very dangerous places like Columbia.  Improve your economic equality of opportunity, provide a better social safety net, and remove your handguns and automatic weapons.  You won’t, so you be you and we’ll be us. 

I agree...America is a very diverse country....and having traveled to several nations around the world....please don't presume to know what is better for them either.   Since the USA has been the #1 destination for the world's immigrants for over 100 years (including Canadians), it can't be as bad as you insist it is.

You have admitted to owning property in Florida....which speaks volumes compared to anything you may type here.    Florida is also where a Canadian diplomat's sons robbed and murdered an American drug dealer....so maybe work on those "Canadian values" a little harder back home. 

There are also gated communities in Canada...as in Kelowna, B.C.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I agree...America is a very diverse country....and having traveled to several nations around the world....please don't presume to know what is better for them either.   Since the USA has been the #1 destination for the world's immigrants for over 100 years (including Canadians), it can't be as bad as you insist it is.

You have admitted to owning property in Florida....which speaks volumes compared to anything you may type here.    Florida is also where a Canadian diplomat's sons robbed and murdered an American drug dealer....so maybe work on those "Canadian values" a little harder back home. 

There are also gated communities in Canada...as in Kelowna, B.C.

I remember the murder you’re referring to. Anyone of any nationality who commits such a crime should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law. 

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

I remember the murder you’re referring to. Anyone of any nationality who commits such a crime should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law. 

Of course, but in that case, it didn't happen.   The surviving Canadian son's mother wanted him to serve his sentence/probation for felony murder back in Canada (a consistently requested quirk for Canadian nationals who commit crimes in other nations).    Ignoring Florida's wishes, the U.S. feds just deported his ass back to Canada.

Using the threat of American statehood is an old Canadian ploy for domestic politics and regional battles....the funny part is that any such matter would ultimately be decided by Americans.

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Of course, but in that case, it didn't happen.   The surviving Canadian son's mother wanted him to serve his sentence/probation for felony murder back in Canada (a consistently requested quirk for Canadian nationals who commit crimes in other nations).    Ignoring Florida's wishes, the U.S. feds just deported his ass back to Canada.

Using the threat of American statehood is an old Canadian ploy for domestic politics and regional battles....the funny part is that any such matter would ultimately be decided by Americans.

No, America has enough on its plate managing itself.  It’s all about the vindictive fight between Democrats and Republicans to undermine each other.  

If you’re looking for sympathy for this diplomat’s son, you won’t get it from me. 

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

No, America has enough on its plate managing itself.  It’s all about the vindictive fight between Democrats and Republicans to undermine each other.  

If you’re looking for sympathy for this diplomat’s son, you won’t get it from me. 

So ?    America has managed to survive for over 242 years, including a civil war.   It is not Canada, and should not be judged as such.

I agree that America has a lot more going on than Canada...that's why Chrystia Freeland begged Trump to keep carrying the majority burden for "post WW2 order".

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

So ?    America has managed to survive for over 242 years, including a civil war.   It is not Canada, and should not be judged as such.

I agree that America has a lot more going on than Canada...that's why Chrystia Freeland begged Trump to keep carrying the majority burden for "post WW2 order".

Which of the two countries has drawn on NATO’s support?  We’ve spent a lot of time and treasure supporting US adventures and defending allies from their enemies. I’m glad for the postWW2 alliance. America should be too.  Russia and China are willing to take the lead, as Pompeo has acknowledged.  Relinquishing NATO is tantamount to relinquishing American hegemony.  It’s already happening in Africa, where China has taken the lead; and Syria, where Russia has taken the lead.  Much depends on the US’s ability to rally countries to its vision for the world, if such a vision still exists.  Interestingly, without US leadership allies will likely rely more on global institutions, which runs counter to the goal of exceptionalism that US nationalists prefer. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I’d like to see our governments create more opportunities for the citizens of both countries through a kind of loose union, but we also want to keep our border and keep out your guns.

Um, I brought my gun with me to Canada, downtown vancouver... was pretty easy. Your border and gun law means nothing. Also why are you all so afraid of guns. People who live in the less populated area have to protect themselves from bears you know.

1 minute ago, paxamericana said:

Um, I brought my gun with me to Canada, downtown vancouver... was pretty easy. Your border and gun law means nothing. Also why are you all so afraid of guns. People who live in the less populated area have to protect themselves from bears you know.

I think we all agree that the kinds of guns used for hunting or shooting attacking bears are fine with careful licensing. 

7 hours ago, taxme said:

The foreign invaders that Soros, Trudeau, and now Dave Axworthy(former liberal)where all three morons want to bring in tens of thousands of refugee so called migrants into Canada from the many non-western countries in the world. Axworthy is a part of that UN migrant scam that would like to swamp all the western countries with thousands of refugees where he has even suggested that Canada should take in all those so called migrants that are sitting on the American door steps in Tijuana that Trump does not want to let into America and rightly so. This prime mistake of yours will probably open the doors to all of them as requested by Soros and Axworthy. :(

We are off topic so I will not say anything more here about foreigners. Bye-bye.  :D

Soros?  You do realize that any reference to George Soros completely discredits your point?  If your posts are not based on reality then they are hardly credible.  Do you also realize that refugees make up only a small part of the total number of immigrants?

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They always do....

This liberal minded guy seems to feel that Canada is a wonderful place to live in and in some respects it is. But this liberal guy does not see to understand as to what is really going on behind his back in his wonderful Canada that others do. This guy needs to stop worrying about and attacking America so much and start attacking his own country and what the leftists liberals are doing to Canada today. Just try going to a mall in Toronto or Vancouver? One would have to ask themselves are they still living in Canada? Host Canadians are losing their country and these leftist liberals don't give a hoot about that. As a matter of fact it is the leftist liberals that are behind the mess that is being created in Canada today. 

Maybe it is time before it is too late for the west to get rid of the east and separate once and for all. The east has pretty much destroyed the west with their eastern leftist liberal programs and agendas that people in the west never ever asked for and were forced to have to live with. Most Canadians despise America because of the leftist liberals in Canada and America and of their Canadian and American leftist liberal media who constantly attack and mock America for everything that they do to which they have been conditioned to believe those leftist liberal lies. Sure America has it's problems but Canada has just as many problems itself but for some silly reason America seems to bother many Canadians more. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. I find that many Canadians throw too many stones these days. Some Canadians even appear to be jealous and paranoid over America.

Just saying. :D

2 hours ago, Iznogoud said:

Soros?  You do realize that any reference to George Soros completely discredits your point?  If your posts are not based on reality then they are hardly credible.  Do you also realize that refugees make up only a small part of the total number of immigrants?

Soros is not only a problem for Canada but he is also a problem for the rest of the world. Bye.