New American States

Will Alberta, Saskatwchewan, mainland BC join the US?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. What ?  Why would the US allow "us" to pass through but not Alberta ?  Do you foresee a kind of totalitarian government there ?

2. They should be careful, I would say.  One little scritch of a penstroke and they are out of a job.

1. "We can just pass threw the states anyways." The united States always had open border with us so I can't see why they wouldn't let Canada pass threw Alberta but it would still constrict contact with and distance Ottawa from British Colombia.

2. I know right? But they haven't banned us from traveling the border so far.

1 hour ago, Carbon882 said:

1. "We can just pass threw the states anyways." The united States always had open border with us so I can't see why they wouldn't let Canada pass threw Alberta but it would still constrict contact with and distance Ottawa from British Colombia.

2. I know right? But they haven't banned us from traveling the border so far.

We don't have an open border with the US. You need a passport to enter the US and Canadian citizens are refused entry all the time, sometimes for completely arbitrary reasons. The chances of Alberta leaving Canada to join the US are somewhere between slim and none.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Hard to believe even 25% of people anywhere support him, except of course Russia and Isreal, but why Kenya?   

It is hard to believe there are that many but it is not just Trump, the world's view of America itself has gone way down.

Edited by Wilber

12 hours ago, paxamericana said:

I don't think you Canadians realized whatever little perception the average americans have of Canada is. We think it belongs to America like puerto rico. A majority of american view Canada as a another state. This notion of sovereignty doesn't really register.  

We seem to matter enough to Americans like you that you feel this need to tell us how little you care about us.  Last I checked, not caring means not even bothering to converse.   

I'm not sure why any part of Canada would at this point in time want to secede to become an American state? Canadian provinces have greater power and independence vis-a-vis the Canadian federal government than do American states vis-a-vis their federal government. And federal power and authority restrict the freedoms of ordinary individual Americans to a greater degree than is the case in Canada. Further, there's a stronger authoritarian streak in the U.S. in comparison to other Anglo-Western countries, although this is somewhat counterbalanced by a stronger libertarian instinct. The CATO Institute's Human Freedom Index (2017) ranks Canada in 11th place globally in comparison to the 17th place U.S., although Canada's ranking has deteriorated under the Trudeau government. I wonder if this deterioration reflects the impacts of the Trudeau government's redistributive bent, bizarre "diversity" policies and its predilection for throttling free speech? In any case, I suspect most Canadian will continue to choose to remain politically independent of the U.S. - for now.

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/human-freedom-index-files/2017-human-freedom-index.pdf

Edited by turningrite

15 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

We seem to matter enough to Americans like you that you feel this need to tell us how little you care about us.  Last I checked, not caring means not even bothering to converse.   

You're not wrong, most american do not care much about Canada because they just assume it is another state. Nothing special, no unique "Canadian" identity. In fact you'd be hard press when asking an American how are Canadians different from Americans. But whatever little we do think of you, you should know since you do care. 

Edited by paxamericana

2 hours ago, Wilber said:

We don't really know how we rate under Trudeau. This study compares 2014 and 2015. Trudeau didn't take office until late October of 2015.

Perhaps true, as a result of the fact that such rankings tend to lag available data, i.e. 2017 rankings reflect 2015 data. However, Canada has seen a downward trend since the 2015 rankings, where I believe it ranked 6th. My guess is that things have not improved under Trudeau's tenure. It will we interesting to see the 2018 and 2019 results once the impacts of the Trudeau government's generally freedom stifling tendencies are better reflected. One area where the U.S. has a particular advantage is in its tolerance of free speech, where, according to a 2016 Pew Research Center study of 38 countries, it led the world.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/freedom-of-speech-country-comparison/

4 hours ago, paxamericana said:

You're not wrong, most american do not care much about Canada because they just assume it is another state. Nothing special, no unique "Canadian" identity. In fact you'd be hard press when asking an American how are Canadians different from Americans. But whatever little we do think of you, you should know since you do care. 

We don’t have a choice but to care, unless we try to delude ourselves into thinking we’re an island like Australia.  That’s not our reality. 

14 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We don’t have a choice but to care, unless we try to delude ourselves into thinking we’re an island like Australia.  That’s not our reality. 

Canada is more like New Zealand.....the United States would be Australia.

Most Americans do not spend a lot of time thinking about Canada, do not consume vast quantities of Canadian media, or travel to Canada anywhere near the rate of Canadians going to the USA.   It's not that they dislike Canada....far from that...it's just that they are largely indifferent to Canada because it has so little impact on their lives politically, economically, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada is more like New Zealand.....the United States would be Australia.

Most Americans do not spend a lot of time thinking about Canada, do not consume vast quantities of Canadian media, or travel to Canada anywhere near the rate of Canadians going to the USA.   It's not that they dislike Canada....far from that...it's just that they are largely indifferent to Canada because it has so little impact on their lives politically, economically, etc.

Wrong actually because scale matters.  Canada is bigger than Australia.  Also New Zealand isn’t a quick jaunt across the Australian border.  Those comparisons quickly break down.  More racism in Australia though, as in the US. 

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Wrong actually because scale matters.  Canada is bigger than Australia.  Also New Zealand isn’t a quick jaunt across the Australian border.  Those comparisons quickly break down.  More racism in Australia though, as in the US. 

Not a bad comparison. New Zealand ranks above Australia when it comes to freedom and democracy  just as Canada ranks above the US.

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Nope...the comparison is spot on...smaller population dominated by proximity to a much larger population.  

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Wrong. Australia has less diversity in its economy and a higher cost of living due to its smaller economy of scale and high import costs.  

Wrong X 2...Australia's economy is not nearly as dependent on exports to a single nation, as is Canada's.

iload42479___source.png

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wrong X 2...Australia's economy is not nearly as dependent on exports to a single nation, as is Canada's.

iload42479___source.png

What are you showing me here?  Have you been to Australia?  That country pays more for vehicles and many other products because it has to import a great deal. I’m not discussing its exports.  Canada exports so much to the US because it’s convenient, period. It’s got nothing to do with the point I was making.  Canada also has 50% more people than Australia and a greater economy of scale.  Higher import costs and smaller economy of scale in Australia.  It’s also more costly to export from Australia to its primary export markets for obvious reasons.  

Edited by Zeitgeist