Bernier's Party at 13% in the polls

18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not $4B.  The math doesn't work that way.  It's not $200K per senior.  That would be almost the entire deficits some years under Harper...

It's $200k per senior during their lifetime. That is not at all unreasonable.

16 hours ago, marcus said:

Such fear of these 15-20K parents/grandparents a year.

Of course, they're looked at 'useless' by the scared people.

You mean by taxpayers. Have you ever met a taxpayer? You'd find most of them are concerned.

9 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, that's another point.  If we bring in well-earning, or degreed immigrants, do you take those seniors out of the equation ?

Well-earning does not equate to degreed. A degree without high communication skills in English has little value.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

You mean by taxpayers. Have you ever met a taxpayer? You'd find most of them are concerned.

I'm a taxpayer and I don't have a fear. Perhaps it's because I'm able to look at family sponsorship beyond the one-dimensional way you look at it and present it.

I think immigrants have every right to have their parents in Canada near them and their children like you do or I do. You have an incomplete view of family sponsorship. All you want to look at is the cost of healthcare, like the conversation has to start and end there. There are many more factors involved. Even if the discussion is about the economical factor, you fail to acknowledge that these seniors who come into Canada, also bring in capital and their assets from their country. You're unable to acknowledge that they must spend money in Canada and that spending pays towards the economy and the tax system. In many instances, these elderly end up taking care of their grandchildren, allowing the parent to go to work, which also benefits the economy.

15 hours ago, marcus said:

I'm a taxpayer and I don't have a fear.

Maybe your $1.95 isn't as important to you as my $127,000 is to me.

I think immigrants have every right to have their parents in Canada near them and their children like you do or I do.

That's interesting, since the main justification the pro-immigration side gives for this massive importation of third world people is an aging population. However, they seem to find no problem with importing tens and hundreds of thousands of elderly to be looked after by our social welfare system.

All you want to look at is the cost of healthcare, like the conversation has to start and end there.

That's because that's what I have to pay for. Along with other social welfare costs when their sponsors default.

There are many more factors involved. Even if the discussion is about the economical factor, you fail to acknowledge that these seniors who come into Canada, also bring in capital and their assets from their country.

Or not. Given most of them come from the third world few would have substantial assets. Plus, most third world immigrants prefer to keep as much of their assets at 'home' as possible to avoid taxation. Which is why we have so many Chinese owning multi-million dollar homes in Vancouver who claim to have minimal income.

You're unable to acknowledge that they must spend money in Canada and that spending pays towards the economy and the tax system. In many instances, these elderly end up taking care of their grandchildren, allowing the parent to go to work, which also benefits the economy.

Most of these people come from cultures where the women aren't allowed to work and have no skills anyway, so no, I think we can discount that benefit. Just as we can discount any large importation of funds to help pay for their health care.

But, if they do, as you say, have a lot of money, then they can purchase private health insurance. 

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.immigration.ca/2018-top-jobs-in-canada-under-express-entry-immigration/

Looks like they're still looking for software engineers and PMs topping out around 6 figures.  

Top jobs? Sales people? Seriously? We need to import sales people? We don't need realtors or salesmen or recruiters or accountants. What a bullshit list. Who put this together anyway? We don't need administrators either. All this shows is what a mess immigration is. I wouldn't allow a single sales person or accountant in. Bring me tradesmen instead. They're not only in higher demand but it doesn't matter if they have imperfect English.

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Har... Project Management ... also Business Analysts and such ... these people will be paying 20K-40K in taxes per year btw

Only if they are employed. And I'm guessing really good communication skills are a requirement for these jobs.

17 hours ago, Argus said:

Well-earning does not equate to degreed. A degree without high communication skills in English has little value.

You'd be surprised. In Richmond BC and Scarborough ON, a well-educated Chinese speaker can easily tap a local Chinese-speaking clientele that prefers to be served in Chinese.

Remember too that we now live in the age of the internet. This means that a tech-savvy entrepreneur can produce software that he can sell around the world online.

I've met successful entrepreneurs in Scarborough who barely speak English at all.

That said, yes, they are essentially limited to the Richmond and Scarborough markets.

Edited by Machjo

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.immigration.ca/2018-top-jobs-in-canada-under-express-entry-immigration/

Looks like they're still looking for software engineers and PMs topping out around 6 figures.  

I know Canadian IT PMs who can't get jobs. So why is Canada allowing express entry for such positions?

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Maybe your $1.95 isn't as important to you as my $127,000 is to me.

Nice one douchebag.

There are people who make good money, more than you, who don't get angry and frazzled over something like this. Because their thoughts are not void of correct information and they are able to look at situations beyond the one-dimensional way you do.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

That's interesting, since the main justification the pro-immigration side gives for this massive importation of third world people is an aging population. However, they seem to find no problem with importing tens and hundreds of thousands of elderly to be looked after by our social welfare system.

Your response to the comment you are replying to makes no sense outside of your head.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

That's because that's what I have to pay for. Along with other social welfare costs when their sponsors default.

How often do their sponsors default? Any idea? Their sponsors are on the hook for 20 years.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Or not. Given most of them come from the third world few would have substantial assets. Plus, most third world immigrants prefer to keep as much of their assets at 'home' as possible to avoid taxation. Which is why we have so many Chinese owning multi-million dollar homes in Vancouver who claim to have minimal income.

The Chinese millionaires are a different topic and story than the "third world" sponsored parents. Try to keep it together. You can't even keep your anger and bigotry consistent. 

Immigration 101 - Lesson #25 - When someone becomes PR, what they bring into Canada is tax exempt. Once again, you are giving an opinion based on false information.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Most of these people come from cultures where the women aren't allowed to work and have no skills anyway, so no, I think we can discount that benefit. Just as we can discount any large importation of funds to help pay for their health care.

More B.S., made up comments from the resident "immigration expert". Most of those being sponsored are from China. Chinese women work. Not only that, but so do women from other cultures. You may want to simplify the world because that's all your mind can handle, but the world is diverse, beyond your simple look at it.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

But, if they do, as you say, have a lot of money, then they can purchase private health insurance. 

Why should they purchase private insurance when they are permanent resident? Why do you want to create a two tier system? They are as deserving as you and I.

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

I know Canadian IT PMs who can't get jobs. So why is Canada allowing express entry for such positions?

Because the IT companies will advertise the job with a requirement for ten years experience at a low salary, then go to the government and make sad mouth noises about how they can't find people, and the government will then let them bring in someone from abroad who will work cheap for no benefits and be obedient.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

There are people who make good money, more than you, who don't get angry and frazzled over something like this.

Don't mistake my contempt for you and your shrill, hateful leftist beliefs for anger.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

Immigration 101 - Lesson #25 - When someone becomes PR, what they bring into Canada is tax exempt.

This just shows that people on welfare shouldn't try to give smarter people lessons in finance.
If they bring over a lot of money the government has to know, and they have to invest it, and that is taxable. If they leave it abroad the government has no idea they have it, and can't tax the profits from it.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

Why should they purchase private insurance when they are permanent resident? Why do you want to create a two tier system? They are as deserving as you and I.

This is just more of your Marxist anti-Canadian screed. They are not deserving of one damned thing. They didn't contribute anything to this country and they never will.
Much like you, I suspect.

9 hours ago, Argus said:

Don't mistake my contempt for you and your shrill, hateful leftist beliefs for anger.

Simple people need to simplify things in their heads in order to make sense of the world. Case in point, your following stereotypes and generalization:

- Immigrants are poor and go on welfare
- I support immigration because I'm some poor/hippy/marxist/etc 
- Your repeated racist comments, calling immigrants "goat herders"

Bigots are usually ignorant about the world. The worst are the ones who scream their ignorance with confidence.

This just shows that people on welfare shouldn't try to give smarter people lessons in finance.

*ding*

You are angry and frazzled.

You keep repeating the same weak-minded comments. You remind me of this guy. Don't worry, I won't be stereotyping white people from Abby because of you and him.

I am very comfortable and confident in my financial wealth and success. I am quite confident that I make a lot more than you. But at the same time, I know that it's not my money that makes me a better person than you.

This is just more of your Marxist anti-Canadian screed. They are not deserving of one damned thing.

People in your family tree were deserving of it and received it. These people are also deserving of it. Even if they have a different colour skin than you, speak different languages than you and look different than what you've surrounded yourself with.

They didn't contribute anything to this country and they never will.
Much like you, I suspect.

You suspect a lot of things that are untrue. You need to get off the computer and get out there. Understand the world a little better. Engage with those who look different than yourself.

Edited by marcus

17 hours ago, turningrite said:

With due respect, they must be unemployable.  You would have to know the details but I get dozens of hits per week on my linkedin page and I am not looking.  

23 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Back to the original post, Eric Grenier's Poll Tracker shows that if an election were held on Sept. 18th, the Liberals would take 187 seats to the CPC's 125. Bernier's party doesn't even register.

Is the people's party an option for this poll tracker? No.

Seat projections on the basis that Bernier's party isn't an option is meaningless.

Edited by -1=e^ipi
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2018 at 12:03 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Back to the original post, Eric Grenier's Poll Tracker shows that if an election were held on Sept. 18th, the Liberals would take 187 seats to the CPC's 125. Bernier's party doesn't even register.

That might be relevant were Bernier's nascent party actually included in recent polling. So, don't pop your champagne cork yet. The most recent info I can find on Grenier's tracking site doesn't include a single poll that actually gauges support for Bernier's party, likely because it doesn't officially exist at this point. As specific polling on the issue of support for Bernier's prospective party indicates that its firm and likely support is in the range of 13 to 17 percent, mainstream polling on party preference will no doubt cover Bernier's party once it's officially registered.

Grenier's methodology is to cover polls completed and reported by the major polling firms. Once these polls start including Bernier's party we'll see where thing sit

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poll-tracker-federal-poll-averages-and-seat-projections-1.4171977

Edited by turningrite