Where No Pope Has Gone Before

Pope Francis has called for end to capital punishment.  What an incredible statement coming from the Catholic Church.  The Pope has indicated:

"Pope Francis says nothing can justify the use of the death penalty, and there is no “right” way to humanely kill another person."  He fully rejects the death sentence for prisoners and hopes to abolish the death penalty around the world. In Canada, the last people executed was in 1962. 

What does the Pope's opinion mean to the Catholic Politicians?  What does it mean to Christian followers around the world?

I know that we have a number of Christian followers on this forum.  What do they think?  Personally, I think it 's about time.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I know that we have a number of Christian followers on this forum.  What do they think?  Personally, I think it 's about time.

Most people I know follow Christianity out of a sort of easy tribalism.  The actual philosophy of the golden rule, forgiving your enemy and so on is incredibly hard to live.  It's far easier to don the cloak of Christianity, and use it as a fashion or - worse - a weapon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Most people I know follow Christianity out of a sort of easy tribalism.  The actual philosophy of the golden rule, forgiving your enemy and so on is incredibly hard to live.  It's far easier to don the cloak of Christianity, and use it as a fashion or - worse - a weapon.

Even if that enemy is innocent?  How many innocent people have been executed or are on death row?  How does society resolve these issues?

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

This was a big surprise to me, as I had no idea the Catholic Church ever sanctioned the DP.

Shouldn't be a big surprise given the countless thousands that the Catholic Church murdered throughout its history. They were big fans of killing people while they had the power to do it. Now that secular authorities hold that power instead, of course they are against it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Pope Francis has called for end to capital punishment.  What an incredible statement coming from the Catholic Church.  The Pope has indicated:

"Pope Francis says nothing can justify the use of the death penalty, and there is no “right” way to humanely kill another person."  He fully rejects the death sentence for prisoners and hopes to abolish the death penalty around the world. In Canada, the last people executed was in 1962. 

What does the Pope's opinion mean to the Catholic Politicians?  What does it mean to Christian followers around the world?

I used to be for capital punishment - but I've changed my position a long time ago, too. 

A documentary about a mentally challenged who was executed  (who turned out to be innocent) was what changed it for me.  The investigation was botched.  Negligence was involved.  We live in a very corrupt world - it's difficult to not have reasonable doubt.

Edited by betsy

4 hours ago, Bonam said:

Shouldn't be a big surprise given the countless thousands that the Catholic Church murdered throughout its history. They were big fans of killing people while they had the power to do it. Now that secular authorities hold that power instead, of course they are against it. 

Now that you mention it...

I think it strange that the Pope would overrule Yahweh who says there are many reasons to kill a human.

Turn to almost any page in the bible and God is having even the innocent children and babies murdered or doing it himself.

Strange how the Pope has forgotten his use of Inquisitions and murder.

This link proves that the Pope is a liar and oly cares about the cash that a sheeple will bring with him to pay for salvation.

Regards

DL

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, Bonam said:

Consider their use of Inquisitions to deny people the freedom of religion that Christians now advocate.

Both Hitler and Yahweh are genocidal monsters yet Christians are quick to forgive their God, while condemning a man for doing the same thing, --- which shows how their religious views have corrupted their moral sense.

Regards

DL

• 1 month later...