Somebody special has passed away...

Lois Hole, Lt-Gov of Alberta has passed away.

At a press conference Friday, Mr. Klein said Ms.Hole was a woman of remarkable spirit, energy and intelligence who was truly loved by all Albertans. Liberal Leader Kevin Taft, meanwhile, said Ms. Hole was a rare and remarkable woman.

The Prime Minister and federal Opposition Leader Stephen Harper also issued statements Friday. Along with their condolences, the politicians  remarked on Ms. Hole's compassion and contribution to Alberta and Canada.

source

For once, all of the politicians are telling the truth. Mrs. Hole was truly a remarkable woman. She was that special type that set out to make a difference, and did make a difference.

My condolences to her family.

• 2 weeks later...
Somebody special has passed away...

Apparently not everybody agrees...

National Post: Clarkson skips memorial

Isn't it supposed to be Clarkson's job to be at functions like this? If she can't even do that, what the hell do we have her for?

-kimmy

I heard yesterday that when Lois Hole was Chancellor at the University of Alberta, she gave every single graduate a hug at convocation.

Gimme a break

Up yours, meat-head!

Isn't it supposed to be Clarkson's job to be at functions like this? If she can't even do that, what the hell do we have her for?
Uh.... giving hugs?

Clarkson is apparently in the Ukraine for the inauguration of their new government which was originally scheduled for today but pushed back a couple of days. That's a very good reason. I don't see why her office couldn't said that in the first place, instead of some vague blah-blah about a prior personal commitment.

-kimmy

Up yours, meat-head!

She might have meant whats up with the picture of a kitten.

Look folks, if you want hugs from the chancellor, head off to Toronto. We give away hugs on graduation, I know as I have graduated greater than several times and have had hugs galore. The first time is the best.

Ms.Hole must have made a difference in graduates lives then.

Up yours, meat-head!
:huh:

I'd assumed you were trying to be a jack-ass and just wanted to let you know you were doing a great job!

(did I err? if so, I'm sorry. well, slightly sorry.)

-kimmy

Actually, she probably did hug everyone. I met her exactly once, and she hugged me. I had purchased some plants (hollyhock?) based on the advice in her book, had planted them according to her directions, and they failed miserably. When I returned the carcasses, I expected to be met with the typical "you break it you bought it". Instead, she put one arm around me and said let's find something that will grow.

I have since figured out that the original plants died due to my own ignorance.

Lois Hole's replacement has been announced.

Normie Kwong named Alberta Lieutenant-Governor

Born in Calgary in 1929 to Chinese immigrants, Kwong becomes Alberta's first lieutenant-governor of Asian heritage.

In 1948, he also became the first Chinese Canadian to play in the Canadian Football League and was dubbed the China Clipper for his ferocity as a running back.

During his CFL career, he won four Grey Cups, one with the Calgary Stampeders when he was only 18, and three consecutive championships in 1954-56 with the Edmonton Eskimos.

He was named Canadian Athlete of the Year in 1955 and, since then, his skill and sportsmanship have been recognized by his induction into the CFL Hall of Fame in 1969 and the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 1975.

Kwong was made a member of the Order of Canada in 1998.

-kimmy

Finally, something of substance out of Alberta. the China Clipper appointed Lieutenant-Governor. This guy was the greatest fullback ever to play footaball in Canada.

Perhaps Alberta lost Wayne Gretsy to Hollywood, lost their cattle industry to BSE, and will probsably be commiserating Stephen Harper's loss in the next federal election, but having Normie Kwong as their Lt-Gov has to count for something!!!

:lol:

Perhaps Alberta lost Wayne Gretsy to Hollywood, lost their cattle industry to BSE, and will probsably be commiserating Stephen Harper's loss in the next federal election, but having Normie Kwong as their Lt-Gov has to count for something!!!

:lol:

Yes. Despite all the devastating setbacks Alberta has suffered, at least we can take some consolation in having nice Lieutenant Governors (and with being the best and most prosperous part of Canada. :D )

-kimmy

A final note on Adrienne Clarkson's involvement on this... a somewhat sour note.

Globe & Mail: Clarkson's aide fesses up.

A quick summary of the timetable:

Jan 7: Lois Hole dies.

Jan 9: Clarkson leaves on personal vacation.

Jan 10: Canada asks Clarkson to attend Ukraine inauguration scheduled for Jan 18

Jan 14: Clarkson notified that Ukraine inauguration will be delayed until Jan 23 due to legal challenges.

Jan 18: Lois Hole memorial occurs.

Jan 19: No, it wasn't a "personal commitment", it was a "previous commitment," according to beleaguered secretary Randy Mylyk, who adds that Mrs Clarkson is deeply saddened that people are questioning her sincerity.

Jan 20: Well, ok, it actually was personal time, all along.

First, let me say that I somewhat doubt anybody is really that upset that Clarkson didn't attend the memorial service. I don't think anybody really likes her that much, and I don't think anybody really missed her that much, and I think the criticism directed at her is primarily from people who are happy to have an excuse to bag on her.

That being said, if there's any question why people dislike Clarkson, look at the sequence of events and the fibs her crew had to make to cover for her. It's somewhat typical of the kind of arrogance that people have come to associate with her.

-kimmy

The GG must almost always follow the advice of the Prime Minister, and so if Martin told Clarkson to remain in Europe (perhaps he was worried about backlash over the costs incurred by flying the Governor General back and forth across the Atlantic three or more times?), then she should pretty much remain in Europe.

Also, one more thing to add to the itinerary you listed there Kimmy is that the Governor General had an arranged personal meeting with the Queen at Sandringham on Jan 19 - the day after Lt. Governor Hole's memorial. I think our head of state trumps a lieutenant governor.

So, from all that, Clarkson's behavior isn't too weird. But what is strange is that Rideau Hall wasn't honest and forthright about the GG's schedule, and the PMO will neither "confirm or deny" whether Martin told Clarkson to stay in Europe.

It's all the cover-up I find really strange.