If Canadians hate Americans, why doesn't Canada just sever ties with America?

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

But it is not just the US right...American foreign policy has always been thus...and it is not going to change anytime soon.

Well you’re right that it isn’t always a left versus right thing.  Conservatives in Canada loved Reagan.  For a while the countries were aligned under conservatism and did some great work together, such as on fighting acid rain and cleaning up the Great Lakes. 

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Not so much.  Trudeau is still popular in and out of Canada among liberals.  He could still win the election.  What you call undermining might look like freedom of expression to others and no threat at all to Canada.  

Whatevs, I'm happy with the train wreck so far, I hope they do win again in October, keep the lefty lunacy coming, I say.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Whatevs, I'm happy with the train wreck so far, I hope they do win again in October, keep the lefty lunacy coming, I say.

I think Trump and Trudeau are both ridiculous characitures.  I’m sure China does want Trudeau in.  Scheer has basically said that he will shut down Huawei participation in 5G and fully support the Trump trade war on China.  US Republicans have recently said supportive things about the Canadians detained in China, so we may see a continent-wide conservative love in if Trudeau loses.  Expect to see huge Chinese manipulation of Canadian social media in the months ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I think Trump and Trudeau are both ridiculous characitures.  I’m sure China does want Trudeau in.  Scheer has basically said that he will shut down Huawei participation in 5G and fully support the Trump trade war on China.  US Republicans have recently said supportive things about the Canadians detained in China, so we may see a continent-wide conservative love in if Trudeau loses.  Expect to see huge Chinese manipulation of Canadian social media in the months ahead. 

I don't think the Chinese need 5G,  they've got the Canadian left coming to them because the Lefties are desperate to stick it to the Americans somehow.

The feat and loathing of the Americans is driving Canada right into the clutches of Beijing.

Edited by Dougie93

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't think the Chinese need 5G,  they've got the Canadian left coming to them because the Lefties are desperate to stick it to the Americans somehow.

The feat and loathing of the Americans is driving Canada right into the clutches of Beijing.

Canada is a close US ally.  Relations with China worsened in the past year.  The Chinese were fools to overreact to Canada over the Meng affair.  Prior to that Trudeau was very China friendly.  I’ve watched the number of Chinese immigrants literally triple in my community over the past few years.  China and Canada have a bond that supersedes governments, but the bond with the US is very deep.  We all have friends and relatives living and moving back and forth over the border.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada is a close US ally.  Relations with China worsened in the past year.  The Chinese were fools to overreact to Canada over the Meng affair.  Prior to that Trudeau was very China friendly.  I’ve watched the number of Chinese immigrants literally triple in my community over the past few years.  

Meng Wanzou was the Americans trying to save Canada from itself, that was a FVEY operation to drive a wedge between the Liberals and Beijing

Edited by Dougie93

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, paxamericana said:

Yeah its call being America's little brother. Just admit it.

Give us a second NHL team in Toronto and one in Quebec, oh and give us back an NBA team in Vancouver and an MLB team in Montreal, and I’ll  say whatever you want — just about.  

On 5/28/2019 at 2:11 AM, Zeitgeist said:

Give us a second NHL team in Toronto and one in Quebec, oh and give us back an NBA team in Vancouver and an MLB team in Montreal, and I’ll  say whatever you want — just about.  

Take it by force!

GOD! When will these fools learn that you can't negotiate with evil!!!!!

I'm sick and tired of you, whiny fools!

Edited by James Ramirez

8 hours ago, James Ramirez said:

Good! Then Canada and China can team up and destroy USA.

It will be Canada which is destroyed by default, not so much because China and America team up against Canada, Canada will simply be torn asunder by the tidal forces of a no man's land caught between the Americans and Chinese.

Thankfully, we here in Ontario don't need Canada, it's a 19th century imperialist anachronism which serves no purposes other than as an iron curtain denying us our God given rights enshrined in the Declaration of Independence preamble.

Thus, good riddance, vive le Quebec libre.

Edited by Dougie93

11 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

It will be Canada which is destroyed by default, not so much because China and America team up against Canada, Canada will simply be torn asunder by the tidal forces of a no man's land caught between the Americans and Chinese.

Thankfully, we here in Ontario don't need Canada, it's a 19th century imperialist anachronism which serves no purposes other than as an iron curtain denying us our God given rights enshrined in the Declaration of Independence preamble.

Thus, good riddance, vive le Quebec libre.

Even under the Declaration of Independence, which is an aspirational document that emphasizes the unalienable right to democratically elected representation by the people for the people, the people of Canada would very likely choose the laws and institutions that they already have.  Canadians believe in responsible government that makes change incrementally and carefully. 

I assume you don’t like Confederation because you think the richer parts of the country like Ontario are held back by the poorer parts.  There was an understanding in Confederation that paying to build infrastructure and institutions in the hinterland would eventually more than pay for itself as the country developed.  Sharing the wealth would also provide stability when times got tough in different parts of the country.  It was and is a huge nation building project that the vast majority of Canadians would say is worthwhile, as the value of Confederation is greater than the sum of its parts.  

The values of Canada include a just society, multiculturalism, Charter protected rights and freedoms, bilingualism, common law, education, health care, and most importantly, democratic representative government.  So far Canadians want to keep this going.  Why not?  It keeps the violence out of Canada and let’s us chart our own course.  That doesn’t mean severing ties with America, far from it.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The values of Canada include a just society, multiculturalism, Charter protected rights and freedoms, bilingualism, common law, education, health care, and most importantly, democratic representative government.  So far Canadians want to keep this going.  Why not?  It keeps the violence out of Canada and let’s us chart our own course.  That doesn’t mean severing ties with America, far from it.  

Except it's all based on lies, multiculturalism is just a liberal white guilt euphemism for ghettoization, the Charter has been weaponized by the far left as a totalitarian thought crime enforcement mechanism, bilingualism failed to launch, the English common law includes a right to bear arms, education in Canada is just leftist extremist indoctrination camp, Canadian public healthcare is crumbling into a soviet style bread line system, and most importantly, Canadians are not democratic, they barely vote at all, are mindless partisan hacks even when they do, and the Canadian left is now going so far as to try to criminalize any opposition to their entrenched interests and associated ideological sacred cows, which is the sort of thing civil wars are made of.

Your absurd apologist subservience to the Canadian Potemkin Village is none the less amusing.

Regardless,  beneath the surface of the CBCelite sing song soothing propaganda, I believe Canada to actually be highly unstable and increasingly vulnerable to further destabilization beyond anything Canadians would think possible at this juncture.

Edited by Dougie93

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I assume you don’t like Confederation because you think the richer parts of the country like Ontario are held back by the poorer parts. 

The richer parts are held down by the poorer parts, and the poorer parts are held down by the richer parts, everybody loses. Confederation is lesser than the sum of it's parts, it's holding everyone in the shotgun marriage back.

Edited by Yzermandius19

8 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The richer parts are held down by the poorer parts, and the poorer parts are held down by the richer parts, everybody loses. Confederation is lesser than the sum of it's parts, it's holding everyone in the shotgun marriage back.

No more so than the northern US states are held back by the southern or vice versa.  No more than Texas is held back by the rest of the US.  No civil wars in Canada.  The provinces and territories benefit from the collective strengths of Confederation, which are many.  Anyway, the vast majority like it and that’s what counts in a democracy.  

9 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

No more so than the northern US states are held back by the southern or vice versa.  No more than Texas is held back by the rest of the US.  No civil wars in Canada.  The provinces and territories benefit from the collective strengths of Confederation, which are many.  Anyway, the vast majority like it and that’s what counts in a democracy.  

No. The US is functional and greater than the sum of it's parts, Confederation is not. Collective strengths of Confederation are nothing compared to the collective weaknesses.  Canada is not a democracy, it's a Constitutional Monarchy, if you want a republic or democracy instead, the only way to get that is to abandon Confederation. "We The People", is America, not Canada.

Confederation being popular doesn't make it a good idea, argument ad populum.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

No. The US is functional and greater than the sum of it's parts, Confederation is not. Collective strengths of Confederation are nothing compared to the collective weaknesses.  Canada is not a democracy, it's a Constitutional Monarchy, if you want a republic or democracy instead, the only way to get that is to abandon Confederation. "We The People", is America, not Canada.

Confederation being popular doesn't make it a good idea, argument ad populum.

Confederation is only popular because things are leveraged to the hilt to buy the masses off, when the leverage has to be unwound, nothing is going to be popular, the electorate will be in a rage, most importantly in Quebec for us Pequistes.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Confederation is only popular because things are leveraged to the hilt to buy the masses off, when the leverage has to be unwound, nothing is going to be popular, the electorate will be in a rage, most importantly in Quebec for us Pequistes.

It's a fleeting popularity that is being propped up the American market. Once the leverage is unwound, and austerity sets in, Quebec is going to bounce pretty damn quick, and then the entire house of cards will come tumbling down.

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

It's a fleeting popularity that is being propped up the American market. Once the leverage is unwound, and austerity sets in, Quebec is going to bounce pretty damn quick, and then the entire house of cards will come tumbling down.

This is why I say vote for Trudeau and the 1970s style deficit financing Liberals, the bigger the leverage, the bigger the explosion when the markets correct.

13 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

This is why I say vote for Trudeau and the 1970s style deficit financing Liberals, the bigger the leverage, the bigger the explosion when the markets correct.

Then more assets can be bought up at fire sale prices, and in that scenario, Chaos will be an escalator, for those smart enough to hop on and not be a SIFCLF panic monkey, that is. Thanks Justin.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Then more assets can be bought up at fire sale prices, and in that scenario, Chaos will be an escalator, for those smart enough to hop on and not be a SIFCLF panic monkey, that is.

The Liberals caused the last referendum and they'll incite the next one too, the best way to bring Canada down is to feed Canada rope.

In terms of fire sale prices, certainly the time to buy is when there is blood in the streets, although I'm hoping to pick up some American equity cheap, I'm not big on Canada as an investment property.

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The Liberals caused the last referendum and they'll incite the next one too, the best way to bring Canada down is to feed Canada rope.

In terms of fire sale prices, certainly the time to buy is when there is blood in the streets, although I'm hoping to pick up some American equity cheap, I'm not big on Canada as an investment property.

The Liberals incited the last two referendums and they'll incite the next one too. Could even be a Trudeau in office in two of three attempts.

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The Liberals incited the last two referendums and they'll incite the next one too. Could even be a Trudeau in office in two of three attempts.

Yeah, I'm not sure, because I can't say exactly when this leverage bubble will start to unwind in earnest, could be tomorrow or it could be awhile yet.

I can't predict exactly when the piper will have to be paid.

This is why you have to be on stand by to go short on a moments notice, nobody really knows when this bomb is going to explode.

This kind of leverage cannot stand,  it is going to blow in the not too distant future, but not too distant is still rather imprecise.