If Canadians hate Americans, why doesn't Canada just sever ties with America?

rgo.....less 

26 minutes ago, loveistheonlyway said:

OR let them go, let them be........ just be free of them and look to other nations, there's Europe...... hmmmmm?

It would be wise for CDA  to broaden its   relationships  in the world and become less "attached" to the US.   This  high integration witht he US  is leaving CDA  more vulnerable in the current unpredictable   US environment. 

things are  a tad volatile at the moment.......and they  could get worse.  Reason, calm  and  good sense must prevail.

The general concern .....world wide about the US is  also  tinged with  some fear.   Abuse of power   is a trump trademark.

9 minutes ago, loveistheonlyway said:

I've got another question, go there.

I gave you my answer. There's not much point going beyond that if you insist on misunderstanding or ignoring the difference between disgust for your government and hatred for you.

7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Abuse of power is an American trademark...long before Trump.

Canada sold out to America long, long ago.

And if that is the case......what do you see as the natural progression of events as it pertains to  CDA and the US.   At some point   will the US  just  take over ??

Given that CDA is between Russia  and the US.........and  that  Trump  has a strong affinity for Putin / Russia.......some  poetically interesting scenarios   coulc be   imagine........?? 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Pacifica77 said:

Andif that is the case......what do you see as the natural progression of events as it pertains to  CDA and the US.   At some point   will the US  just  take over CDA........?? 

Canada will one day be over-run with climate change refugees so your question is probably moot.  

3 minutes ago, Pacifica77 said:

...And if that is the case......what do you see as the natural progression of events as it pertains to  CDA and the US.   At some point   will the US  just  take over ??

No...the U.S. needn't take over Canada, since it already has a large impact on Canada's economy, military, media, and politics.

Canada is like a remora following the much larger shark....by choice.

Given that CDA is between Russia  and the US.........and  that  Trump  has a strong affinity for Putin / Russia.......some  poetically interesting scenarios   coulc be   imagine........?? 

During the Cold War, Canada was the dead zone between Soviet and American ICBMs....Canada still is.  The battle for Arctic resources and passage has already been enjoined...Canada is not winning.

17 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Canada will one day be over-run with climate change refugees so your question is probably moot.  

Yo no lie, I literally thought about buying land in Canada for this very reason.... See I'm from texas and if the two ice cap melt I'm kind of in high water...

29 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I gave you my answer. There's not much point going beyond that if you insist on misunderstanding or ignoring the difference between disgust for your government and hatred for you.

Just kill them all. Hate is a bad thing. Kill them all, your hate dies with them. No more America, no more problem.

1 hour ago, Pacifica77 said:

An agent for change ins one thing..........it is  how he is going about it.   Change always upsets the status quo.  No  problem  there.......as  change is good .......IF   executed in  a professional,  mature,  STABLE  and rational manner.. 

His inc inconstancy  is problem.  Speaking ones mind  is not always a good thing if it  is hurtful to anyone. Tact, diplomacy are critical   for someone in his role. (IMHO)

He is  too authoritarian   for what is supposed  to be  a democracy. (democratic Republic) Unless  the Americans  (like the people of Turkey)   are satisfied to see a gradual slide int o autocracy.   The question is : how will that  affect the rest of the  planet??

See here's the problem, politician are generally known to be distrustful because they lie, tacitly or not. Trump at least speaks his mind ,building rapport with his audience. 

Tact diplomacy gets you Trudeau and Obama. Deeply hated by half of the country as evidenced during the election. 

He's the president of the United States of America. By definition he can't even do authoritarian or dictatorial stuff. Our system has mechanism built in to check the executive branch. 

Does he wish he could do more without the legislative or judicial branch hindrance ? Sure, which president didn't...

His inconsistency shows that he is willing to listen and change stance where needed, allowing him a large degree of political maneuver room unseen by previous presidents. 

14 minutes ago, paxrom said:

He's the president of the United States of America. By definition he can't even do authoritarian or dictatorial stuff. Our system has mechanism built in to check the executive branch. 

Agreed....a Canadian prime minister with a majority government has far more unchecked power than a U.S. president.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Trump is an effect not a cause.   The status quo seems to be doing just fine.

That said I'm still convinced his assassination will be an inside job and his supporters will blame it on the Deep State.

He isn't smart, he routinely puts his mouth in gear before engaging his brain and the only viewpoints he listens to are affirmative.

Yeah status quo from Obama days were more like regression or slow growth with large income tax.

If the status quo seems fine then why are half of you upset? You obviously don't like his tariffs because you don't want free trade. 

Trump cut taxes, boosted government spending for military and our economy is booming.

News flash by the way, he's not a potted plant, he has to question everything and make a decision consistent with his gut feeling. Something we all have to do when placed in a position of leadership. 

Now whether you agree or not with his policy is a valid stance. 

During the 2016 election I thought trump was an idiot and bigot like many of you, so I didn't vote for him. I thought he was going to drop out before the general election, everyone thought this. 

But now seeing the amount of change and work he has done for America I am a reborn Trumpian. 

He's shown to be capable of listening to his advisers on issues that he lacks knowledge, regardless of his preconceived notion. And this is the point, you all can't get over the fact that an elected leader isn't required to be perfect in every way. Leaders are flawed like you and me but as long as they listen to feedback and make adjustment they will be as good as their adviser/experts. 

Look at his record on torture, he's support torture but decided that he respect his adviser enough to go with what they recommend. 

So the important point here is you're not just electing a president you're electing an entire administration. 

I happen to like his current administration. 

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canadians hate the USA so much, they go to the USA twice as much as Americans going to Canada.

8081500.jpg?size=sw620x65

Like why do they criticize us so much when they're already 90 percent American. They act, dress, look, sound, like us....in fact you can't even tell the damn difference until they start spewing their angst all over the place.

Maybe they're upset because they don't get a say in how the car is steered. Kind of like a passenger in the back seat. 

Edited by paxrom

6 minutes ago, paxrom said:

Like why do they criticize us so much when they're already 90 percent American. They act, dress, look, sound, like us....in fact you can't even tell the damn difference until they start spewing their angst all over the place.

Well....yes, that is very much part of the issue.   The Canadian identity fights itself to be separate from Americans...is often defined as being NOT-American.

They are smothered by all things American, leading to resentment by some (but not all Canadians). 

Americans do not define themselves as being NOT-Canadian.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well....yes, that is very much part of the issue.   The Canadian identity fights itself to be separate from Americans...is often defined as being NOT-American.

They are smothered by all things American, leading to resentment for some (not all Canadians). 

Americans do not define themselves as being NOT-Canadian.

You got that right. We're proud of being Americans because we're American not because we're not Canadian... It's time for Canada to do exactly that, be an american. (giggles)

1 minute ago, paxrom said:

You got that right. We're proud of being Americans because we're American not because we're not Canadian... It's time for Canada to do exactly that, be an american. (giggles)

Trump is helping many Canadians find their repressed nationalism....the funny thing is that displaying nationalism and patriotism are the very things many Canadians long disliked about Americans.   

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump is helping many Canadians find their repressed nationalism....the funny thing is that displaying nationalism and patriotism are the very things many Canadians long disliked about Americans.   

I know... the irony is sooo good.

16 hours ago, eyeball said:

You'll support human rights in America, usually grudgingly, but your commitment to this ideal in other countries is entirely contingent on whether it serves your interests, MURICAH in other words.

Jesus Christ, people like you are so annoying! If it were up to me, I would stitch your mouths. All you do is yap yap yap. Do you think they were able to make the troubles that you hate by yapping? No wonder America can get stuff done because they don't waste time yapping about it on an online forum.

You know what it's like:

America: (Does something bad)

Canada: Hey, don't do that! Hey guys America done something bad, let's talk about it!

America: (Does something bad!)

Canada: Hey, look they did something bad again, let's talk about it!

Canada: You Americans are evil and we are better than you!

Canada: Americans are the most evil and fat people on the Earth.

16 hours ago, eyeball said:

You do a really shitty job - you have a moral obligation to aim much higher and if you can't you shouldn't even try.  

Hitler hated Jews, killed millions of them.

Osama Bin Laden hated Americans, had jets flew into America's buildings, killing thousands. Took out 0.00001% of America's population. Small but again, at least he did something.

ISIS hates the west, actually goes out there and kills people even though the situation seems hopeless for them.

Canadians hates Americans.......... yaps.

I have more respect for Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, ISIS and all those evil people through out history than Canadians. They don't waste time complaining about their anger and hate for their enemy online.

What is Canada's main goal here? To sort of make Americans feel guilty? Less confident? Make them feel bad about themselves?

Canadians are so narcissistic, there is something wrong with the mentality of your people. Does living in a rich country actually do that? Is this just an online thing? It's really weird because I have come across some nice Canadians online and they are nice, they are really really nice. If they put aside their ego and nationalism, that's when they become human.

You have no humility, no humbleness, that's the problem. You cannot allow yourselves to say "we can't" or "we can't right now". If required, you try to change the topic; make the other side play your game, your rules.

I asked before "If America keeps doing bad stuff why doesn't Canada stop it" and all I got was "America is evil! America is evil! America is evil! America is evil!" You can't just say "we can't" or "we can't right now". You continue to inflate your ego by making claims that you are better than them and they are a worthless fat piece of stain on planet Earth.

I find it really ironic that for a 1st world country, Canadians have a hard time answering one simple question. I asked my people, third world country mind you, the same question and heck I even asked them why we haven't destroyed America yet...... a lot of them responded directly, "we can't"; a lot even joked about it, some really made me laugh which is one of the reasons why I love asking these kinds of questions. Third world country! Lots of poverty, crime, corruption, rebellion...... see? I can admit that about my country but you Canadians are so sensitive but hey, maybe that's what made Canada rich.

Whatever you claim Americans are, is you.

8 hours ago, Pacifica77 said:

It would be wise for CDA  to broaden its   relationships  in the world and become less "attached" to the US.

A major part of that attachment is that Canada relies heavily on the US for our security. If we turn our back on the US that would entail defending our borders and sovereignty. To do that we would have to increase our military budget significantly in order to beef up our capabilities. Our government sees no need to go that route and Canadians are quietly complicit in that approach. This accounts for a portion of our love/hate of the US. So killing all Americans is a no go.

Canada is not entirely leaving its shores and airspace open to violation, mind you. But we should take Justin Trudeau's polite reneging on his promise to maintain our military as silent acknowledgement of Canada's military dependence on the United States.  

We Canadians have what can only be described as a "colonial mentality" when it comes to defence. This means that we inherently expect the U.S. to make up for the ever-increasing gaps in our military capabilities. And, like the classic enabler, the U.S. unwittingly continues to allow Canada to live its traditional "middle power" delusion of global significance, while carrying the burden of our defence.  

With that as the status quo, why would Canada duplicate the billions of dollars the U.S. already devotes to defending its country — and its continent?  

Of course, Canada isn't the only country looking at U.S. military might as a sort of defence safety net. But when it comes to defence procurement, even smaller NATO countries — Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands, for example — have far superior records when it comes to maintaining well-equipped militaries.   

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canada-defence-spending-1.4048409

BTW, welcome to MLW Pacifica.

13 hours ago, capricorn said:

A major part of that attachment is that Canada relies heavily on the US for our security. If we turn our back on the US that would entail defending our borders and sovereignty. To do that we would have to increase our military budget significantly in order to beef up our capabilities. Our government sees no need to go that route and Canadians are quietly complicit in that approach. This accounts for a portion of our love/hate of the US. So killing all Americans is a no go.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canada-defence-spending-1.4048409

BTW, welcome to MLW Pacifica.

THANK YOU  !!  =Awesome.  From  what I can see its well designed  forum. 

my impression  is not that  CDA "hates" (strong word)  the US.   Having had half my family in the US  al my life...perspective of course has been  that the relationship has been  positive......with a few  bumps now and them.  some personality clashes  ,  and yes some  disagreements.  But  HATE is just too stor g a word  about how  CDNS feel  about the US.

Mind you....it has  been tainted   since Trump started to target Cda.   His bellicosity  seems hard for any  nation to take.   He causes dissension, division,   angry reactions.........but again.."hate'  is still a strong word for it.I its unfortunate....as  we  have a long history  of  pretty good relations  on the average........and when the chips are down...... CDA  would be there  to assist  as needed. I  can't speak for the current  USS...... and wouldn't want to try.
It seems that Trump is continuously  "testing limits"........and the more he gets away  with.......the further he will go. The law, ethics,  standards   and  professionalism be damned.

So , yes the tone of the relationship long term friends.  It is sad....... as that  made  this part of N America  unique  and an example  / role model.

But it is no just CDA....... as most of the civilized world   is watching the US  current regime with  concern ...something MAJOR is happening in  US.  It is morphing into something......yet unknown.  Power is being centralized.....and an isolationist  theme is  evident. Systems ae being torn apart  witha vengeance.  Multilateral  agreements ae being  torn up   All  is creating a level of uncertainty...And  the markets  don't like  instability,  economists don't like  instability,  national leaders   don't like it either.   The chaos  theory  and execution   does not belong  in national leadership..

Edited by Guest