Jogger accidentally crosses U.S. border from B.C., gets detained for 2 weeks by authorities

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jogger-accidentally-crosses-u-s-border-from-b-c-gets-detained-for-2-weeks-by-authorities-1.4717060

Before investing in a wall on the Mexican border, maybe the US might want to invest in sidewalk sings on the Canadian border.

Priorities I say.

Now to be fair to the US authorities, it would seem prudent at the very least that whenever I know I'm near the border and that the US doesn't clearly advertise it, I might want to carry at least a passport with me in case I do accidentally cross it. But the onus should not be on me to have a Superman-like GPS built into my brain to know when I'm crossing an unmarked border.

In practical terms, there isn't much I could do beyond at least carrying my passport with me. The onus is on the US defense establishment to maybe shift some of their spending on ICBMs to more basic bread-and-butter security needs like signs along cross-border sidewalks.

Meh....Canadian authorities were in no hurry to repatriate her either.

Cross an international border illegally...get arrested.

Why is this news ?    Yawn.....

Here is the White Rock view from the Canadian side...."guarded" by Customs and Fisheries.....

canadian-customs-and-fisheries-officer-w

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 hour ago, Machjo said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jogger-accidentally-crosses-u-s-border-from-b-c-gets-detained-for-2-weeks-by-authorities-1.4717060

Before investing in a wall on the Mexican border, maybe the US might want to invest in sidewalk sings on the Canadian border.

Priorities I say.

Now to be fair to the US authorities, it would seem prudent at the very least that whenever I know I'm near the border and that the US doesn't clearly advertise it, I might want to carry at least a passport with me in case I do accidentally cross it. But the onus should not be on me to have a Superman-like GPS built into my brain to know when I'm crossing an unmarked border.

In practical terms, there isn't much I could do beyond at least carrying my passport with me. The onus is on the US defense establishment to maybe shift some of their spending on ICBMs to more basic bread-and-butter security needs like signs along cross-border sidewalks.

I think the issue is overly played.

What is relevant is that it took them 2 weeks to verify her re-entry into canada. 

"Ferne said workers on site told her she had to present the documents to Immigration Canada to determine if Roman was eligible to be discharged back to Canada."

Like my judo move there cheney?

Edited by paxrom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I knew someone who accidentally robbed a bank once.  Got ten years.  She should consider herself lucky.

The only way I could see someone accidentally rob a bank would be if it left its money sitting on the floor next to the rubbish bin as if it was to be thrown out and she she picked it up in the presence of the guards, they just smiled at her as she walked out with the cash.

• Haha 1

If a person can accidentally cross the border from Canada to the US, then we can reasonably presume that a person can also accidentally cross the border from the US to Canada.

Given how embarrassing it would be for Canada for something like that to happen, it might be a good idea for Canada to install a long-lasting chain-link fence along the Canada-US border wherever a person could accidentally cross over except over water or mountainous areas requiring special climbing equipment.

While this would not prevent a person from intentionally crossing the border illegally, it would at least save Canada the embarrassment of having people cross into the country accidentally.

Even on water and in mountains though, we might want to be lenient with a person whenever there are reasonable grounds to believe that person might have crossed accidentally.

9 minutes ago, Machjo said:

Even on water and in mountains though, we might want to be lenient with a person whenever there are reasonable grounds to believe that person might have crossed accidentally.

Accidental or not, they still have to be "processed" and vetted by border services.   Their photo will be taken, fingerprints and other bio markers recorded, statements documented, etc.

A cell phone with GPS enabled can easily point out an international border.

5 minutes ago, Machjo said:

A cell phone with GPS? On the Mexican side, the US wants to build a great big wall. How can it not want even so much as a chain-link fence on the Canadian side to prevent at least accidental crossings?

Because Canada wants to build a bridge, and is happy to pay for all of it.

Why is access to the U.S. border so important to....Canadians ?

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Because Canada wants to build a bridge, and is happy to pay for all of it.

Why is access to the U.S. border so important to....Canadians ?

I haven't visited the US in years, not because I don't like it, but because I have little need to visit there. Those who live closer to the border might need to cross the border for business or other reasons. Free trade after all.

That said, if I lived near the border, I would appreciate a heads up when crossing the border. I'm not against crossing it, but I'd like to know when I am.

If a chain-link fence is too expensive, then at least unravel some police tape along the border with the word border on it in a few languages.

I hope we could afford at least that.

Edited by Machjo

3 hours ago, Machjo said:

The only way I could see someone accidentally rob a bank would be if it left its money sitting on the floor next to the rubbish bin as if it was to be thrown out and she she picked it up in the presence of the guards, they just smiled at her as she walked out with the cash.

You should have told me you were there...

12 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You should have told me you were there...

I wasn't there. That's why I used the subjunctive. Another way I could see someone accidentally rob a bank would be if my car was a scrap heap, I parked in front of the bank, and the staff accidentally threw bags of money into the back of my car thinking the money was garbage and my car a garbage container.

Edited by Machjo

6 minutes ago, Machjo said:

I wasn't there. That's why I used the subjunctive. Another way I could see someone accidentally rob a bank would be if my car was a scrap heap, I parked in front of the bank, and the staff accidentally threw bags of money into the back of my car thinking the money was garbage and my car a garbage container.

That would work, if bank staff were given to accidentally tossing money in the garbage.  I hope it's not BMO...

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

That would work, if bank staff were given to accidentally tossing money in the garbage.  I hope it's not BMO...

So you tell me, how else does a person accidentally rob a bank. I'm out of ideas myself. Technical glitch I suppose if the ATM starts spitting money out and I'm chatting with my friends while collecting it so not paying attention at the abnormal amount of money coming out and then not give it anymore thought?

Though I might be scratching my  head the next day as to how I got all that money in my wallet.

Edited by Machjo

1 hour ago, Machjo said:

That said, if I lived near the border, I would appreciate a heads up when crossing the border. I'm not against crossing it, but I'd like to know when I am.

If a chain-link fence is too expensive, then at least unravel some police tape along the border with the word border on it in a few languages.

That's why I think there is more to this story than is being told.  It is almost a month old.

This beach crossing has existed for a long time, and if her error was caused by lack of signage or understanding of the proximity to an international border, violations would happen far more often by other people.

She screwed up at several levels, but now wants her 15 minutes of Twitter/Facebook/CBC fame.

5 hours ago, paxrom said:

I think the issue is overly played.

What is relevant is that it took them 2 weeks to verify her re-entry into canada. 

"Ferne said workers on site told her she had to present the documents to Immigration Canada to determine if Roman was eligible to be discharged back to Canada."

They drove her 200km to jail for 2 weeks.

Are they mad?!

Was there not a sign in French?

Obviously there were no Canadian CBSA folks around guarding our border from marauding US joggers.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's why I think there is more to this story than is being told.  It is almost a month old.

This beach crossing has existed for a long time, and if her error was caused by lack of signage or understanding of the proximity to an international border, violations would happen far more often by other people.

She screwed up at several levels, but now wants her 15 minutes of Twitter/Facebook/CBC fame.

And a language issue.

That's our fault if there's not a Leaving Canada sign in French.

We'll get right on that.

Btw ... was she cavity searched?

Pigs.

24 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Has she apologized yet for illegally crossing an international border ?

I don't see that part anywhere.....maybe tomorrow ?

I don't know about you, but when I don't want someone to enter my bedroom or washroom, I close the door so as to make it clear to them that I do not want them in. I don't know, maybe it's different in the US where you leave the door wide open and then pull out your shotgun when someone dares to walk in from the living room.

3 minutes ago, Machjo said:

I don't know about you, but when I don't want someone to enter my bedroom or washroom, I close the door so as to make it clear to them that I do not want them in. I don't know, maybe it's different in the US where you leave the door wide open and then pull out your shotgun when someone dares to walk in from the living room.

But I would still apologize for doing so....has she apologized yet ?

Walking into somebody's yard/home without permission is trespassing, even in Canada.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

But I would still apologize for doing so....has she apologized yet ?

Walking into somebody's yard/home without permission is trespassing, even in Canada.

But there is till an expectation that the owner make the boundaries clear. If I buy a parcel of land in the middle of nowhere and raise not the slightest indication of my property limits, and someone crosses it thinking it was public property, I wouldn't have much to stand on since I could not reasonably expect that person to recognize that she was trespassing onto my property. I still have a duty to communicate my property's boundaries in some reasonable manner.

5 minutes ago, Machjo said:

But there is till an expectation that the owner make the boundaries clear. If I buy a parcel of land in the middle of nowhere and raise not the slightest indication of my property limits, and someone crosses it thinking it was public property, I wouldn't have much to stand on since I could not reasonably expect that person to recognize that she was trespassing onto my property. I still have a duty to communicate my property's boundaries in some reasonable manner.

In this case, the "property" was marked with signage.   It is not a defence to claim that all of the land boundary has to be marked.

She admits to violating an international boundary out of inexperience/ignorance.

15 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

In this case, the "property" was marked with signage.   It is not a defence to claim that all of the land boundary has to be marked.

She admits to violating an international boundary out of inexperience/ignorance.

One jogger, yet the USA has violated many other nations and their borders with a war on terror.