Who will win World Cup Soccer in Russia?

This is just the way football goes...

Croatia was by far a better team especially in the second half. Sure one can bargain on the premise that their players would be tired after playing 120 mins against the russians in their last game but they still won on penalty in front of home crowd. Well done Croatia! From the lacklustre second half game displayed by England nothing better was to be expected! Self inflicted....

28 years legacy revived but this time football got on the way of getting home. Literally...

Looking forward to Croatia vs France in final.

7 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Obviously, when England lose, I'll go drown my sorrows at the Stampede, and sod the tea!

There there, I was only kidding fella. Or maybe not... the link and the story is legit. So what's with that?

It seems there is something psychological going on here behind the "World Cup". It inspires nationalistic fervour and this affects people quite deeply. National pride is at stake, but how does that translate to "personal pride"? And more importantly, to beating your wife. As a human observer I find it interesting, but it is off-topic here.

15 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Croatia looked exhausted and beaten in the first half and then mysteriously came alive in the second. They were the more skillful team and deserved to win. Let’s hope they have some energy left for the final.

Well the British boys came out of the gate full of piss and vinegar, they were aggressive and scored early. Ok, so the goal was a set play which is not the most beloved way to score, but a goal is a goal.

There's no mystery in the strategy to save some energy for later. Younger, less experienced players often make this mistake, while more seasoned players know, they only need to withstand the initial wave of attack. Then once the opponent's speed and aggression begins to fade, its time to put it to them.

Edited by OftenWrong

British boys? That’s fighting talk. The players are English. 

Kane had a poor game but England’s enduring problem lies in their midfield. Henderson, Lingard and Alli were outclassed by the Croats, offering little ability to hold into the ball and direct play. A team that relied so much on set-pieces was always unlikely to win the World Cup. They had a good run but they certainly did not deserve to go any further. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

40 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

British boys? That’s fighting talk. The players are English. 

Yes exactly. Sorry if I offended anyone as I thought we were living in a new post-national era. This tournament proves just how out of touch with reality that idea is.

42 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

A team that relied so much on set-pieces was always unlikely to win the World Cup.

But they do show a lot of promise. At this level (semi-final) I would expect all the teams to be quite skilled, but the format of single-game elimination doesn't sit well with me. One game is not really a good test of a teams true worth, it all depends on who shows up to win for the day. England did have some great chances and dominated the field during the first half, good shots on goal throughout. They were shut down by a team with a more conservative style.

They had a good run but they certainly did not deserve to go any further. 

They could have gone further, if they had made the right adjustments. Hardly anyone expected Croatia to be in the final.

35 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yes exactly. Sorry if I offended anyone as I thought we were living in a new post-national era. This tournament proves just how out of touch with reality that idea is.

But they do show a lot of promise. At this level (semi-final) I would expect all the teams to be quite skilled, but the format of single-game elimination doesn't sit well with me. One game is not really a good test of a teams true worth, it all depends on who shows up to win for the day. England did have some great chances and dominated the field during the first half, good shots on goal throughout. They were shut down by a team with a more conservative style.

They could have gone further, if they had made the right adjustments. Hardly anyone expected Croatia to be in the final.

Hardly anyone expected Brazil, Germany, Spain and Argentina to be out at this stage.

Well look we all know that the England were romanticising a dream of winning the WC beating France but for what it’s worth they got the mileage coming this far. Croats were simply a better team with more resilience.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, capricorn said:

Oh well, I'm still 50% correct having picked France in the final. Considering I know nothing about soccer ie what the hell is a yellow card, I did OK. Of course, I pick France for the win. I may write a book. :lol:

My novice comrade, it would be quite upsetting if Croatia beats France....

Hope you haven’t placed any bets;)

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Only joking. The British are unique in soccer in fielding four ‘provincial’ teams from one country, hence the confusion. 

Croatia had superior ball control. As fatigue set in that made the difference. English soccer culture still has a way to go to compete with the best. When a country of four million can field a player like Modric and one of 65 is relying on the likes of Henderson and Lingard, there’s a problem. 

12 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Only joking. The British are unique in soccer in fielding four ‘provincial’ teams from one country, hence the confusion. 

Croatia had superior ball control. As fatigue set in that made the difference. English soccer culture still has a way to go to compete with the best. When a country of four million can field a player like Modric and one of 65 is relying on the likes of Henderson and Lingard, there’s a problem. 

You can think of it as lack of experience at this stage. The English squad is full of fresh blood with several trophies under their belt.

But I do agree with the narrative that their football culture still has some way to compete with the best.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:56 AM, OftenWrong said:

There there, I was only kidding fella. Or maybe not... the link and the story is legit. So what's with that?

Oh I know you were.  I did go drown my sorrows at the Stampede.  That said, I know my heart rate goes to levels I normally only see during serious exercise when England play, but I've never considered beating my wife over it, win or lose. I don't know what that's all about.

Truth be told, I never actually expect to win any tournament.  I just don't want to be embarrassed.  After the 2016 Euros debacle, I'm quite happy with this WC. 

Edited by bcsapper