Should The Roman Catholic Church Be Banned?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear maplesyrup,

I sincerely hope that the 'record settlement' isn't a part of your argument...it'll get broken next week, probably by Michael Jackson. While the RC Church is, as it should be, being held accountable for past actions, there are far more important 'scumbags' afoot. Don't forget, 'the church', whatever the denomination, has been responsible for a lot of things that qualify as being 'good'.

Don't forget, 'the church', whatever the denomination, has been responsible for a lot of things that qualify as being 'good'.

And the church administrators do apologize for and make the individual priests apologize for the things they did that qualify as being 'bad'.

I just hope that the admin here does the same and apologizes for and makes the posters who do wrong (like calling 20% of posters here "flame/troll posters" for no reason at all) apologize.

You want to alienate over a billion people MS? :rolleyes: Abolish a religon? Isn't that a sign of the rapture?

What would another crusade do to your enviroment?

:rolleyes:

Dear Stoker,

You want to alienate over a billion people MS?
Robet Ludlum wrote a great book called "The Road To Gandolfo" about a plan to extort a measly $1 for every Roman Catholic from the kidnapping of the pope. I think maplesyrup could be in the wrong line of work! Incidentally, the RC church does not field a billion members. Only Islam has that kind of clout.

You want to alienate over a billion people MS? :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

The poster who told Ontariogal that a big bunch of us here are nothing but "flame/troll posters" sure alienated her with that. We never heard from her after that.

I hope she's still peeking in, especially when he takes it upon himself or is forced to apologize. :rolleyes:

Dear Stoker,

It is amazing what a 'good old fashioned' crusade can do, both good and bad. However, how can one ever know if they are on the right team? I guess if you are ever in the position to say "Smells like...victory!" I would imagine you must have had God, or at least, several voices, on your side.

Robet Ludlum wrote a great book called "The Road To Gandolfo" about a plan to extort a measly $1 for every Roman Catholic from the kidnapping of the pope. I think maplesyrup could be in the wrong line of work! Incidentally, the RC church does not field a billion members. Only Islam has that kind of clout.

Fleabag as a Protestant, I must beg to differ:

Worldwide Adherents of All Religions by Six Continental Areas, Mid-1995

LLL Posted on Jan 3 2005, 10:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Stoker @ Jan 4 2005, 01:31 AM)

You want to alienate over a billion people MS?   

The poster who told Ontariogal that a big bunch of us here are nothing but "flame/troll posters" sure alienated her with that. We never heard from her after that.

I hope she's still peeking in, especially when he takes it upon himself or is forced to apologize.

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about........care to cite an example?

Dear Stoker,

It is amazing what a 'good old fashioned' crusade can do, both good and bad. However, how can one ever know if they are on the right team? I guess if you are ever in the position to say "Smells like...victory!" I would imagine you must have had God, or at least, several voices, on your side.

One would have to define the parameters of the said crusade, before judging it's merits I should think.......

For example, I don't see a problem with a crusade against radical Islam.........it's a mater of perspective, ablitiy and logistics I guess when "throwing a crusade" ;)

WRT being on the "right team", that to is a mater of perspective.......did the average German or Japenese soldier think he was on the wrong team during World War two?

WRT having "god on your side", I don'tr think thats the case, for we are all God's children (I don't know that he would pick sides).......the key to success is being on God's side and doing his work.

Religion should be kept everywhere in the world. Perhaps you don't appreciate what religion does to people. Religion fills people with hope and understanding. Religion has common things with the NDP, don't discriminate, and no fighting others.

ndpnic, so you think the bible is alot of made up fantasy fairytale stories?

What's so hypocritical about the Roman Catholic Chruch?

(PS ndpnic, my friend tells you to run and hide because he is coming after you)

Perhaps you don't appreciate what religion does to people.

:lol:

Makes them feel guilty ...

Confuses them and lies to them ...

Encourages their husbands to beat them ...

Subjects them to absolutism ...

Burns them at the stake ...

Proclaims fatwas against them ...

Promotes wars between them ...

But it does have one sort of redeeming feature:

Gives them false hope ...

ALL religons should be banned!

They are BAD for people, filling heads with hypocritical bull-shit!

Science has disproved most religous beliefs, and people need to lose the crutch!!!!!

What Science has proven faith to be false? Is Love and friendship also false? How does Science prove them? Why do we have the ablitiy to use Science?

Makes them feel guilty ...

About what? I feel no guilt.

I'm not confused with my faith, nor to I feel that I've been lied to.

Are you speaking of Christanity?

How's that? Ones free to choose their course of life, any person, at any time can choose to leave a church.

Which one does that today?

Perhaps in Islam.........

:huh:

How do you know it to be false?

I'm not confused with my faith, nor to I feel that I've been lied to.

Religions are premised on confusing faith with reality. Just because you don't know about a lie, does not mean there is not a lie.

Are you speaking of Christanity?

We are on the general topic of religion are we not?

How's that?

Religions insist on the authority of God.

Ones free to choose their course of life, any person, at any time can choose to leave a church.

Yes, freedom is found OUTSIDE of religion.

Which one does that today?

How is time relevant to your comment?

Perhaps in Islam.........

Consider the history of the Papal Bull, or Calvin's government in Switzerland there.

:huh:

See: history of the crusades, and Thirty Years War

I estimate it to be false.

Who was it who said something like:

"Everybody becomes religious on their deathbed."?

Remember what that lifetime agnostic, W.C. Fields, said when caught reading a Bible on his deathbed? "I'm looking for a loop-hole", said he.

Remember what Voltaire said while on his deathbed, when a priest asked that he renouce Satan? "Now now my good man, this is no time for making enemies", said he.

Religions are premised on confusing faith with reality.

How so?

Just because you don't know about a lie, does not mean there is not a lie.

Sure, every word spoken by another could be a lie, but does that make it so?

We are on the general topic of religion are we not?

Ahh, but generaly speaking, Christanity does not encourage battery of ones spouse...........

But is the indivdual forced to follow the religion by the lord?

Yes, freedom is found OUTSIDE of religion

I disagree, a religous person has the freedom of leaving his or her religon.......is that not freedom into itself?

How is time relevant to your comment?

How is it not?

Consider the history of the Papal Bull, or Calvin's government in Switzerland there.

Does modern Christanity issue fatwas?

What century did the crusades etc take place? what century is it today?

Whats your estimate based on?

Who was it who said something like:

"Everybody becomes religious on their deathbed."?

Remember what that lifetime agnostic, W.C. Fields, said when caught reading a Bible on his deathbed? "I'm looking for a loop-hole", said he.

Remember what Voltaire said while on his deathbed, when a priest asked that he renouce Satan? "Now now my good man, this is no time for making enemies", said he.

What does any of that have to do with proving or disproving religion?

Religions are premised on confusing faith with reality.

How so?

They assert a version of 'reality' which they also assert is authoritative and unquestionable.

But is the indivdual forced to follow the religion by the lord?

Yes, freedom is found OUTSIDE of religion

I disagree, a religous person has the freedom of leaving his or her religon.......is that not freedom into itself?

These are not compatible.

Does modern Christanity issue fatwas?

Yes, though they are called by different names. Anyway, we are talking about 'religion' not 'modern Christiantity' (whatever that may mean).

What century did the crusades etc take place? what century is it today?

You didn't answer my question about why time is relevant.

Whats your estimate based on?

Observation, experience, cogitation.

They assert a version of 'reality' which they also assert is authoritative and unquestionable.

How do know that that "version" of reality, is not infact the reality?

These are not compatible

Why?

Yes, though they are called by different names. Anyway, we are talking about 'religion' not 'modern Christiantity' (whatever that may mean).

Whats the title of thread?

You didn't answer my question about why time is relevant.

Progress. I don't see how any Church that was formed after the reformation can be blamed for the Catholic churchs fault(s).

Now anwser my question.

Observation, experience, cogitation.

What have you observed to prove faith false?

What have you experienced to prove faith false?

What have you reflected on that has proven faith false?

Dear Stoker,

Fleabag as a Protestant, I must beg to differ:

Worldwide Adherents of All Religions by Six Continental Areas, Mid-1995

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out.

My denomination went from 'Lapsed Catholic' to 'Devout Agnostic' when I was about 16. Now I belong to "The Church of Sh*t Happens", and my diocese is "Our Lady of Perpetual Cynicism".

I do think that to some degree science has been able to explain that which was previously inexplicable, however even Darwinism does not discount, in any a priori nor empirical way, the notion of God. It does, however, come into conflict with many a religious text.

Edited by theloniusfleabag

What does any of that have to do with proving or disproving religion?

Nothing.

It's not up to the nonbelievers to prove that God and Satan, exist . It's up to those who claim the existence of anything to prove it.

I do think that to some degree science has been able to explain that which was previously inexplicable, however even Darwinism does not discount, in any a priori nor empirical way, the notion of God. It does, however, come into conflict with many a religious text.

Ever hear the story of Darwin's deathbed conversion ;)

Another question posed/statemtent by Darwin in his Autobiography is:

"I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my Father, Brother and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a damnable doctrine."

Would it not be in the best intrests of a sinner for Christianity to be false?

And if Christianity is false (not that I beleive that), what have Christians given up with having faith within the lord?

Who has the real vested intrest?

Nothing.

It's not up to the nonbelievers to prove that God and Satan, exist . It's up to those who claim the existence of anything to prove it.

Do you have a family? Do you Love your family members? If so, prove it!

Dear Stoker,

Who has the real vested intrest?
The sinner has a vested interest that the religious be wrong, the religious hedge their bets on the side of faith, but often practice 'jack-(insert religion here)' and the church has a vested interest in it's collection plate.

None of them have anything on the others as far as 'an inside tip' goes.