Trump-Trudeau Fall-Out

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Our relations appear to be at a remarkable low point.

Rightly or not, Trudeau has now alienated the US, India, Japan (not showing up for the TPP signing - Abe was very upset) and China (he was sent packing with his gender equality spiel).  You could throw Belgium in there as well - he refused to meet with the Royal family when they recently visited. When high level meetings are held, the table has already been set for the leaders - it's all scripted beforehand. All it takes is a diplomatic delivery of the message - and perhaps a bit of nuance. Is there anyone who things Trudeau is doing a good job? Am I being too harsh?

Pro-Trudeau pundits are saying about Trump's angry tweet, "well, Trudeau didn't say anything that wasn't said before." 

My question to them:  then why did Trudeau came out repeating them (when apparently their bilateral talk behind closed door was progressing - that's according to both Morneau and Kudlow).  

Big deal that Trump made a "chest-beating" farewell press conference.  Trump didn't say anything we have not heard before, either!

Trudeau should've just ignored it at that.  he shouldn't have reacted at all!  he should've just looked at the bigger picture.  

The truth of it all........Trudeau couldn't stop his big mouth from running.

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

Big deal that Trump made a "chest-beating" farewell press conference.  Trump didn't say anything we have not heard before, either!

Trudeau should've just ignored it at that.  he shouldn't have reacted at all!  he should've just looked at the bigger picture.  

The truth of it all........Trudeau couldn't stop his big mouth from running.

Another indicator that Trudeau was playing to his base at home to shore up support. "Look how patriotic I am."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Another indicator that Trudeau was playing to his base at home to shore up support. "Look how patriotic I am."

No, he didn't say that. Can somebody say what he actually said that was offensive? I'm honestly at a loss to figure it out.

11 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

No, he didn't say that. Can somebody say what he actually said that was offensive? I'm honestly at a loss to figure it out.

Kudlow himself said he didn't know.  It must have been the Russia thing.  Putin told Trump to go get him back into the G8, and Trump had the lessor G7 member tell him 'no'.

40 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

All it takes is a diplomatic delivery of the message - and perhaps a bit of nuance. Is there anyone who things Trudeau is doing a good job?

Excellent point. Trudeau is no diplomat, and neither is Trump. Both should take training in this field.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:41 AM, betsy said:

APPARENTLY....EVERYTHING WAS GOING ON PROGRESSIVELY.....UNTIL TRUDEAU MADE HIS POT SHOTS AGAIN!   At a worst timing to boot!

Uhm.

What?

Trump, his advisor and you are upset at Trudeau for making comments? 

What about everything that Trump says, every day, to everyone? Why the sensitivity towards Trudeau's so-called pot shots when Trump averages at least one a day through his speeches and twitter?

WTF is wrong with people?

32 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Is it an excellent point? What did Trudeau say that made you conclude he is no diplomat?

Trump is a tough act to deal with but the point was made beyond just Trump - it included alienation of Japan, India, China - and Belgium was thrown in for good measure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

Trump is a tough act to deal with

It makes one wonder whether anyone on the Trudeau team was astute enough to read Trump. Only then would they have been able to advise Trudeau properly going into the G7 summit, and how to react to Trump's actions and words.

Edited by capricorn

16 minutes ago, capricorn said:

No you're not. You're just being your usual contrarian, Conservative hating self.

That's what you always say when I politely ask what you are specifically referring to when you make a general observation without any context. I thought you had nothing but I thought I would ask to be sure. Thank you for confirming my pre-existing bias.

BTW I don't hate conservatives at all, although I certainly don't really think of you as one.

Edited by BubberMiley

3 hours ago, PIK said:

It seems trudeau was nice to him and once trump left trudeau stating ripping him. To scared to take him on face to face.

And yet we have Trump who engages everything via Twitter. If you wanna talk about face to face interactions.

I haven't been paying attention to this forum for a few days cause I didn't see much worth commenting on and I wanted to wait until after the dust settled from the election of Doug Trump jr. here in Ontario and whether or not Trump would wreck the G-7 Summit...which it looks like he did! 

Having a thread started by a doctrinaire conservative that reposts US conservative propaganda about this moral and intellectual failure- Donald Trump tells me that Canadian conservatives have no real loyalty to Canada. Not that we didn't know this already after getting American-style conservatism with Mulroney...setting the course for NAFTA and selling us out to the US economy...and then came Harper and his Republican advisers trying to finish the job of making Canada a vassal state of the US, but I wonder: what's in it for so called conservatives in this country? Are you or your organizations being promised some kind of jobs as local reps of our overlords south of the border?  Otherwise, your genuflecting to stupid, unpredictable, morally bankrupt creeps like Trump and company makes no sense at all! And you rightwingers up here have just ridden your ideological rhetoric right into a dead end street!

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Kudlow himself said he didn't know.

No, he didn't say that!

here, watch the first 3 minutes....he explained! 

He said that Trump signed the communique - Trump and Trudeau were close to reaching a Nafta deal in their bilateral meeting ....and then, Trudeau went on to say what he did!

Edited by betsy

46 minutes ago, WIP said:

....Having a thread started by a doctrinaire conservative that reposts US conservative propaganda about this moral and intellectual failure- Donald Trump tells me that Canadian conservatives have no real loyalty to Canada.

Because "loyal Canadians" would never post liberal / progressive propaganda, manifestos from American universities like Cal Berkely or Harvard, American books, American print media, American social media, or American local and state governments.    Nope...that would never happen here from "loyal Canadians".

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Maybe a bit.  Trump wanted to rip up NAFTA and there's still no indication that the events of the weekend were not foreseen by the Canadian government either.

That's not what Kudlow and Morneau said.   Morneaua had told Evan Solomon in Question period yesterday that the bilateral meeting between Trudeau and Trump was progressing!

Here's the clip from that!  Timer 1:47

Also 3:35 - 5:30

It's a very frank interview by Solomon.   A must-see.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/qp/

Edited by betsy

4 minutes ago, betsy said:

That's not what Kudlow and Morneau said.   Morneaua had told Evan Solomon ...

Both sides could easily be lying.  Certainly it is possible that the comments were calculated to provoke just as Trump was leaving to a conference where he would have to show himself as a strong representative of the west, as opposed to a petulant loner who is ill-suited for the job he accidentally landed into.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, CNN was reporting today that when Trump tweeted his outrage Kudlow didn't know what it was about.  Really it could only be about Russia being locked out of the G7 by Canada.

Can you please provide a link to your source. 

If I'm not mistaken, the video I gave of interview with Kudlow was from the CNN.

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Both sides could easily be lying.  Certainly it is possible that the comments were calculated to provoke just as Trump was leaving to a conference where he would have to show himself as a strong representative of the west, as opposed to a petulant loner who is ill-suited for the job he accidentally landed into.

Quite to the contrary, President Trump will be doing a very presidential thing in a few hours, just as his predecessors have done.   None of the other G6 leaders are in a position to matter as much on the DPRK....Canadians died in the Korean War, but Trudeau is not a major player on this "file".

Petulant Trump matters more than Justin Trudeau.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

1) Quite to the contrary, President Trump will be doing a very presidential thing ...

2) Petulant Trump matters more than Justin Trudeau.

1) You are opposing a theory of what *may* have happened, not how I feel about what happened or - much less - what I think happened.  Yes, yes we know you think Trump is great and I wouldn't waste time trying to talk you out of that either.

2) Your response to taking offence is often to state obvious facts that we already know.  I prefer it, personally, when Trudeau stays out of the headlines but I don't conflate my country's importance with my own.  

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) You are opposing a theory of what *may* have happened, not how I feel about what happened or - much less - what I think happened.  Yes, yes we know you think Trump is great and I wouldn't waste time trying to talk you out of that either.

2) Your response to taking offence is often to state obvious facts that we already know.  I prefer it, personally, when Trudeau stays out of the headlines but I don't conflate my country's importance with my own.  

1) Trump is neither bad or good (I didn't vote for him)...he is just another U.S. president doing what presidents do and have done.   That includes tariffs and trade deals...Trump did not invent the idea.   What's so special about Trudeau when it comes to being "Trumped" ?   Nothing.

2) Yes, I like facts...they help to wash away obvious bias.   It is a fact that Trump matters more than Trudeau.