Ontario Liberals-status as official party

The Ontario Liberals lost party status because they won only 7 seats in the election. They needed 8 to maintain official status in the Legislature.

Ontario’s outgoing Liberals made a pitch to hold on to official party status Friday as they entered a period of extreme uncertainty in the wake of an election that took them from a majority government to a mere seven seats.

Kathleen Wynne, who stepped down as Liberal leader after the party’s dramatic downfall, said she hopes premier-designate Doug Ford will change the rules to grant the designation, which currently requires eight seats in the legislature.

“I think it’s important,” she said. “I hope that Mr. Ford will agree.”

Ford only said he would talk to his team about the issue in the days and weeks to come.

Being a recognized party in the legislature allows parties to have an office for their leader and access resources such as research assistance, but the threshold required for the designation can be changed by legislators, as has been in the past.

http://www.680news.com/2018/06/08/losing-official-party-status-mean-liberals/

Should the PCs grant the Ontario Liberals official status party?

My sense is that they should. Ford has said he would be the Premier of all Ontarians, including those that did not vote PC. So here is an opportunity to show he is serious about this pledge. This would, to some extent, silence his critics that he and his party are divisive and polarizing.

42 minutes ago, capricorn said:

The Ontario Liberals lost party status because they won only 7 seats in the election. They needed 8 to maintain official status in the Legislature.

My sense is that they should. Ford has said he would be the Premier of all Ontarians, including those that did not vote PC. So here is an opportunity to show he is serious about this pledge. This would, to some extent, silence his critics that he and his party are divisive and polarizing.

The number used to be 12, not 8. Mike Harris agreed to lower it for the NDP, I believe, and justified it because he had lowered the number of MPPs. But now we've raised the number of MPPs beyond what it was before, so really, the number for official party status ought to be raised back to 12 or 14.

Agree.  Considering that the Liberals refused to give the NDP status back in 2003 the favour should be returned.   Let them stew for a while - or - maybe they will persuade the Green guy to cross the floor.

6 hours ago, capricorn said:

Perhaps some sort of compromise would be appropriate - not full official status but some sort of good-faith benefits in recognition of the history of the Liberal Party (in spite of the ghoulish facsimile it has become). Make no mistake though, his critics will never be silenced. Nothing will be good enough for them. Very similar to the eco-nuts - there is no such thing as "social license"....nothing - absolutely nothing will satisfy them other than keeping every drop of fossil fuel in the ground.

Overwhelmingly, public comments to media articles say NO to accommodating the Liberals in this case. I suppose the PCs are gleaning these articles and comments to see where Ontarians sit on this matter.

Some interesting views presented here. It makes me reflect on my initial opinion.

19 hours ago, Argus said:

The number used to be 12, not 8. Mike Harris agreed to lower it for the NDP, I believe, and justified it because he had lowered the number of MPPs. But now we've raised the number of MPPs beyond what it was before, so really, the number for official party status ought to be raised back to 12 or 14.

Seats increased from 107 to 124, that is by 17. If the threshold for party status is raised above 8, would 12 to 14 seats not seem excessive?

2 hours ago, capricorn said:

Seats increased from 107 to 124, that is by 17. If the threshold for party status is raised above 8, would 12 to 14 seats not seem excessive?

Well, possibly a little. Mike Harris reduced the number of MPPs from 130 to 103. When there were 130, 12 was the minimum number. 130/12 = 10.833.

So 103/10.8333 should have reduced the minimum needed to 9.5 - or 9. He let the NDP be declared a party even though they didn't elect 9

Now with 124/10.8333 would be 11.446 - or a minimum of 11 MPPs. 

That is under the original system.  

If we use 107/9 we get 11.888. 124/11.888 would be 9.27 or 10.430 or 10 MPPs

Even if you use 8 as the number needed now that the number of MPPs has gone to 124 you would need a minimum of 9 MPPs to qualify.

Regardless, I expect Ford to let them stay a party so they and the NDP can continue to elbow each other for leftist votes

Edited by Argus

On 6/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, scribblet said:

maybe they will persuade the Green guy to cross the floor.

Ontario Green Party leader and newly-elected Guelph MPP Mike Schreiner denied a media report Sunday he is considering joining the seven-member Liberal caucus at Queen’s Park to give it official party status.

“To be very clear, I am a Green MPP and will not be part of a coalition with another party” Schreiner tweeted in response to a report he was considering “joining forces” with the Liberals.

Schreiner said he is “open to cooperation with any party in the Legislature” but “cooperation not does equal coalition. I am reaching out to all parties at Queen’s Park this week.”

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/goldstein-green-party-leader-denies-reports-of-liberal-coalition

That takes care of that. Wynne just can't catch a break. So sad....NOT.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 2:01 PM, capricorn said:

Well it really depends on how smart Ford is.  If Ford is smart,he will realize that by allowing the libs to lose party status could cause all the left wing voters to coalesce behind the NDP, basically making it impossible for most of his mps to exist as they got elected off of a split vote.  Think about it, if all voters see is NDP opposing Cons for 4 year straight and it doesn't end well for Ford, then NDP is going to be the ONLY alternative in most people's minds.  So Ford will need to use both his brain cells.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, capricorn said:

This would, to some extent, silence his critics that he and his party are divisive and polarizing.

You will never silence his critics.  They love to hear themselves bitch and moan.

As to he and his party being "divisive", I guess you could say he divided the living shit out of the Libs, but you need to realize and admit he united the voters of Ontario as SHOULD have happened 15 years ago.  Instead, all of the meeley-mouth wimps pandered to the poltically correct left and destroyed the province.

As to party status?  That has to be earned, not given.  Same rules for everyone.

When it comes to worrying about Liberal/ NDP as opposition, it makes no difference.  Same-same.

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 6:10 AM, H10 said:

Well it really depends on how smart Ford is.  If Ford is smart,he will realize that by allowing the libs to lose party status could cause all the left wing voters to coalesce behind the NDP, basically making it impossible for most of his mps to exist as they got elected off of a split vote.

That is so deep, I could not decipher what you mean.

So Ford will need to use both his brain cells.

Cute. Working an insult against Ford in a nonsensical post.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2018 at 11:01 AM, capricorn said:

Come on, get real. When Wynne was the premier of Ontario, she also was supposed to be for all Ontarions. Was she? I say no. It looks good on them to not have party status. The liberals do not deserve party status for what they did to Ontario and the Ontario taxpayer's. Would Wynne or that NDP woman do that for Ford and his conservative party? NO. Ford owes the liberals nothing. You must be one of those sore loser snowflake liberals, eh? Ford should tell the liberals to go take a flying leap off of a very high cliff. Would work for me. LOL.  

PS: Liberals are the divisive ones, the polarizing ones, the intolerant ones, and the bigot ones and are great liars to boot. Just saying. 

On 6/13/2018 at 3:10 AM, H10 said:

Well it really depends on how smart Ford is.  If Ford is smart,he will realize that by allowing the libs to lose party status could cause all the left wing voters to coalesce behind the NDP, basically making it impossible for most of his mps to exist as they got elected off of a split vote.  Think about it, if all voters see is NDP opposing Cons for 4 year straight and it doesn't end well for Ford, then NDP is going to be the ONLY alternative in most people's minds.  So Ford will need to use both his brain cells.

When the next election rolls around, and if Ford plays his cards right, the Conservative Party will win the next Ontario election easily. If Ford gets rid of political correctness, starts eliminating burdensome rules and regulations on business, lowers taxes, and gets rid of all that sex gender bs, Ford will be a shoo in. And by then the liberals will no doubt get back their status but it will not be enough for both of them to get together as one and win. The split will happen again. Ford should be in there for a long time to come if he is smart. Ford has plenty of brain cells to rely on and win the next election. The ones that have two brain cells are the ones that voted for Wynne and the NDP. Their IQ appears to be about close to room temperature. Aw well. :lol: