Conservatives projected to win majority.

This from Howard Galganov, a writer from Montreal with dual citizenship, US-Can, on the Ford sweep last night:

Just like in the United States, Ontarians were Treated to a Deluge of Fake News, Slanted News & Contrived Polls, all of which showed the Three Main Parties Being Neck & Neck.

And when it became Obvious to the Media, that the Kathleen Wynne Liberals were Going To Have Their Asses Served To Them On A Platter, the Media & Pollsters Turned to the Communist-Light NDP as their Great Hurrah, not just suggesting that the NDP had a Shot-At-It, But in many Polls . . . Were Actually Leading.

And Then - When The Bright Lights Came On . . . The Media Cockroaches Scrambled For Cover, and the “Progressive” Conservatives . . . led by the Outsider REAL CONSERVATIVE FORD . . . Cleaned the LEFT’S Clock, WINNING A MASSIVE ELECTORAL VICTORY.

In Sports & Military Parlance . . . It Was A Rout!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cannuck said:

I hope Ford DOES turn out to be "like Trump".  While DT might be a bit of an a-hole on a good day, he does what he feels is best for his country and his people.  

No, he does what he feels is best for him. Which, by the way, included a massive increase in the deficit. 

34 minutes ago, cannuck said:

The solution to this kind of crap is very simple:  no deficit financing by constitutional provision.  

Personally I think this is a good idea. Canada, the US, and many European countries are drunk on deficit spending. Need to put an end to it. 

12 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

1) if you think that all the negative ads, union endorsements and scare tactics have little effect....then giving you some numbers likely will just lead to another round of "ya but".

2) Shows how predatory the unions are......after milking the Liberals for 15 years (and the Liberals milking their votes), change was in the wind so the unions abandoned the sinking ship like rats and endorsed the NDP. I guess that's what they call "progressive" politics. 

1) I didn't say 'little effect', I am trying to validate the 'vast majority' idea that you suggested.  We're working together, and I'm sure it's somewhere between those extremes.

2) Like corporations, sure.

17 hours ago, cannuck said:

I hope Ford DOES turn out to be "like Trump".  While DT might be a bit of an a-hole on a good day, he does what he feels is best for his country and his people.  I don't care what they each did in their private lives, I care about what they are going to do in their public life.  ON was sold down the river by the Lib/NDP (sorry if you think there is any difference - there is not) and our left wing media.  While it might seem nice to congratulate the victor, what is really needed is a harsh reminder to the electorate that THEY put the Libs in and kept them there for 15 years, not to mention they seemed to have forgotten the lessons they SHOULD have learned from Bob Rae.  Now they get to pay the price.

The solution to this kind of crap is very simple:  no deficit financing by constitutional provision.  If a governement wants to give something to their voter base, the rest should directly feel and pay the price while the perpetrator is still in office.

I think that I have a better solution to all the crap going on. Why don't we the people take back our government? If we the people all demanded citizen initiated referendums/the right to recall, like they have in Switzerland, democracy in Canada would finally prevail. The minority will not be able or be allowed to dictate and rule over the majority. Short, sweet and simple. :)

On 6/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, turningrite said:

It will be interesting to see if Ford's "common man" appeal will hold up. The minimum wage was increased too quickly. It should have gone up in stages to $15/hr over, say, a 5 or 6 year period. Wynne was simply trying to score political points with her rash policy. But there is a much bigger issue at stake here, which is that Ontario is broke. Government programs will have to be trimmed and public service entitlements will have to be shaved. I don't see much choice on this. Ordinary working Ontarians are suffering and our own political Nero, Wynne, seemed too often to fiddle while things burned down around her, often as a result of fires she started. But there are other negative harbingers as well. Rental housing costs in the GTA have increased outrageously in comparison to actual incomes. It's not at all surprising that voters in the core Toronto ridings who are most impacted by this turned their backs on Wynne, who did little to help the situation, and opted for the NDP, the only party that credibly promised some relief from the madness. Can Ford keep the hundred of thousands of renters in the GTA, many of whom (especially in the suburbs) supported him, on side while at the same time keeping the financial class happy? Hmmm.... Overall, I'm not dissatisfied with a Ford government, but it's going to have to walk a tightrope between pleasing its corporate backers on the one hand and on the other maintaining its credibility among the many lower income earners who voted for it. The interests of these constituencies are often incompatible.

That is delusional, there had been a minimum wage freeze in place for a very long time, it should have been rising 50 cents a year to keep place with inflation from 10 years ago, by 2020, we are going to need a $20 minimum wage to just keep pace with the Ford cluster mess.

Or how about we raise taxes on the wealthy and elite who hardly pay any taxes, what about scotiabank making $2 billion but claiming nothing coming tax time?  Ford will be a 1 term premier if his own party doesn't boot him.  He will not survive because he has conflicting claims.  He won't raise taxes on the rich who have increasingly been using tax evasion schemes to avoid paying their obligations. If he freezes the wage at $14 an hour, he is finished, because his dumb suppporters with low iq earning minimum wage will learn he duped them.  They were just so rash in their anti wynne sentiment they forgot to vote their nterest.  O well.

6 minutes ago, H10 said:

That is delusional, there had been a minimum wage freeze in place for a very long time, it should have been rising 50 cents a year to keep place with inflation from 10 years ago, by 2020, we are going to need a $20 minimum wage to just keep pace with the Ford cluster mess.

Or how about we raise taxes on the wealthy and elite who hardly pay any taxes, what about scotiabank making $2 billion but claiming nothing coming tax time?  Ford will be a 1 term premier if his own party doesn't boot him.  He will not survive because he has conflicting claims.  He won't raise taxes on the rich who have increasingly been using tax evasion schemes to avoid paying their obligations. If he freezes the wage at $14 an hour, he is finished, because his dumb suppporters with low iq earning minimum wage will learn he duped them.  They were just so rash in their anti wynne sentiment they forgot to vote their nterest.  O well.

Yes Andrea. Anything you say, Andrea. :lol:

On 6/8/2018 at 8:40 AM, Michael Hardner said:

1) I see it as 2 terms minimum... The Liberals were knocked down so much that they may need 2 elections to come back, if they can.  And if Horwath couldn't win against ford and a 20% Liberal vote then she never will.

2) Well where are those voters then ?  They sure didn't step up to vote against him this time.

1) Nope 1 term if he is lucky, his lawsuits with his sister in law will drag out and kill his female support.  His own party will turn against him as he roots out corruption (if he holds this promise which i suspect he will try) as many political inisders benefit from and are use to corruption.  When they realize Ford is not like that, he will have a short political life..  He has already made enemies of Patrick Brown, Garlic Allen, which are two high ranking PCs.  

2) Liberal vote will fall more, 20% was more than Liberals were suppose to get, the PC's lucked out that the vote split between liberals and NDP. After 4 years of seeing just 1 left wing party, leftist voters will coalesce around NDP and you will have 4 more years of younger voters and 4 less years of older conservatives.  Horwath came very close to Ford in the %, not so much in the seats. 

3) The voters were slow in the head.  They thought a Ford tax cut to their wage would reduce their income when they pay no provincial taxes or very little, they thought that the federal tax would get eliminated from their checks.  They will not understand until they see the tax cut doesn't help them, so they voted Ford.  They are just not smart enough.

54 minutes ago, H10 said:

I read a Toronto Star article this morning about the reasoning of Ford voters. I believe the principal motivation of these voters was to see the government rein in public sector spending. Other motives were in play as well, including a belief that the minimum wage increase was too fast and opposition to more taxation, including the carbon tax. Somehow, these voters seem to have got it into their minds that costly new programs being promoted by the Libs and NDP would have to be paid for by somebody. Imagine that! And consumption-based taxation like carbon taxes tend to most severely impact those "low iq" voters for whom you express apparent contempt. Many of these voters apparently had reservations about Ford's baggage but were more convinced by economic reasoning. Maybe they're not so stupid after all?

Edited by turningrite