Clarification on Baiting

On 6/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, Michael Hardner said:

We have a thread where a supposedly male member is baiting a female member of the board with words like 'dear' 'darling' and 'honey'.

Is that permitted ?  Please clarify so I can prepare my symmetrical put-downs for the lower adversaries on MLW.  Thanks in advance.

How does this garner your attention while some slander others with islamiphobia or being called anti-semite? Seems like some selective outrage.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

No frustration here.  I don't expect instant response, just a response and I got that.  For free.

If you were not frustrated, you would not have made this thread. But at least you see what many of us are complaining about with regards to reporting and how moderation handles all that. Now I do see a lot less of the problems, but I am not sure if that is due to an increase in good moderation or some posters simply left or do not post here for whatever reasons.

I've often not had trouble with forum abuses unless moderation occurs. In fact, i think the reasons they get reduced depends upon the members themselves. Frustration still will exist but CAN be contained by members capacity to accept HOW others may behave and altering their own in a non-violent reaction against those who 'appear' to behave badly. (They may be real people needing first to express, then be understood through care in argument without prejudice, and then adapt to their own better behavior by example of how they were received.)

36 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

If you were not frustrated, you would not have made this thread. But at least you see what many of us are complaining about with regards to reporting and how moderation handles all that. Now I do see a lot less of the problems, but I am not sure if that is due to an increase in good moderation or some posters simply left or do not post here for whatever reasons.

I don't know.  I can't speak to whether I was frustrated or not, but I did need the follow-up and once again I got it.  I also notice fewer accusations of bias on here, which is good.

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Several members who emphasized drama, personal attacks, and profanity (as baiting) to express themselves have moved on, and if this is because of moderation, then that is a good thing.  

Interesting, I always considered you a troll..  maybe I was wrong?

10 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Interesting, I always considered you a troll..  maybe I was wrong?

We can consider just about anyone with an opposing view - and who relentlessly expresses that view - to be a troll.  I've sometimes think of MH and you as  trolls (although you seemed to have mellowed somewhat).....and I'm sure there are those who also see me as a troll.  Of course, my sense of humor only makes that perception worse - what with my emojis?

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, betsy said:

We can consider just about anyone with an opposing view - and who relentlessly expresses that view - to be a troll.  I've sometimes think of MH and you as  trolls (although you seemed to have mellowed somewhat).....and I'm sure there are those who also see me as a troll.  Of course, my sense of humor only makes that perception worse - what with my emojis?

I am no troll, but I will tell you exactly what I mean. The main problem that people have with my posts is because they cannot read or really comprehend what is being put forth.

• 6 months later...

This would seem to be a simple question. Almost no one has much doubts what a troll is. A troll is someone who is deliberately provocative, doesn't really believe in what they say, and is just here to upset people. The internet has had trolls almost as long as it's been in existence, and it's usually pretty obvious when someone is a troll.

Except here. For some reason, Mapleleafweb is the one site on the internet which is confounded by the idea of trolls. Oh, it says trolling is against the rules, but what is trolling? To Mapleafweb, that is the great mystery of the ages none have yet solved.

In fact, it seems sometimes that the moderators of this site would generally prefer to suspend or ban every single person here OTHER than the trolls. In fact, the most terrible offense against order you can commit on this site is accusing someone who is clearly a troll of being a troll. The trolling itself, ahhhh, well, maybe it is, maybe it's not, and what is trolling anyway, and maybe they're just being honest, and ahhh....

Just because someone takes every single opportunity on a Canada centered site to mock and insult Canadians, swaggering onto every topic, however unrelated, in order to brag about how great America is and how much better it is than Canada, well, hey, that's not trolling... maybe... gosh, who knows!? And just because someone shows up calling everyone other than liberals fascists and racists and taking ludicrous positions like what a wonderful guy Vladimir Putin is for saving Syrians from being bombed by those horrible Americans, and how Scheer and all conservatives are a fascist and racists who want to destroy Canada, well hey... he might not be a troll. He could actually just be crazy so who are we to judge, right?

Trolling. Everyone knows what it is except Mapleleafweb

• Thanks 1

Argus, I don't see it as a big problem here. By your own admission, trolling is prevalent on the internet. All discussion forums suffer from trolling. The comments sections on news web sites are even worse.

Perhaps the problem is that people actually LIKE reading and responding to trolls. In fact I cant think of a member here who doesn't at least occasionally commit "trolling". By that I mean write a provocative post directed towards forum members. Trolling is part of what almost every member does, thus some minor trolling is being allowed.

The decision to clamp down and delete posts, or suspend a poster is thus a judgement call. Personally I think our moderator does alright, considering what he's got to work with. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Argus said:

This would seem to be a simple question.

You are asking the wrong question.  The question you should be asking is:  What to do about it? 

The answer is simple:  report it, ignore it, do not respond to it, do not feed it and do not post in kind. 

2 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

You are asking the wrong question.  The question you should be asking is:  What to do about it? 

The answer is simple:  report it, ignore it, do not respond to it, do not feed it and do not post in kind. 

The real question is, what is MODERATION doing about it?

21 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

An excellent response!

Except that in most cases there is no noticeable impact from such reporting. So after a while you stop reporting except in the most obvious, blatant cases.

Edited by Argus