Time to end visa-free access to US passport holders?

We need to apply pressure in these negotiations. Remember that it's bot the US vs. Canada but the US vs everyone. With that, the US can retaliate against everyone, but we'll still be able ti travel visa-freedom other States. Americans won't.

Not good for business.

More Canadians travel to the USA than Americans going to Canada, and the U.S. has ten times (10X) the population.

Each winter, hundreds of thousands of Canadians head to warm, Trump states.   There are an estimated 100,000 illegal Canadian visa overstays in the U.S.

Good luck with this plan.

It's not just Canada though. The EU and Mexico have been hit too. Many Americans visit the EU and Mexico each year. Sure Trump could,retaliate, but only bilaterally, meaning Canadians could still visit Mexico and the EU visa-free, but not Americans.

Remember, this is Trump against everybody. We can go back to friendly relations once Trump is out of office. We're now in a trade war.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Machjo said:

We need to apply pressure in these negotiations. Remember that it's bot the US vs. Canada but the US vs everyone. With that, the US can retaliate against everyone, but we'll still be able ti travel visa-freedom other States. Americans won't.

We apply visa restriction on states whose citizens have a habit of overstaying their welcome, not states we don't like or have a moron leader.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

We apply visa restriction on states whose citizens have a habit of overstaying their welcome, not states we don't like or have a moron leader.

I remember reading that US citizens are the most common overstayers. But that's not my motive for this proposal. My motive is to apply the Art of the Deal, the only thing Trump understands.

1 minute ago, Machjo said:

I remember reading that US citizens are the most common overstayers. But that's not my motive for this proposal. My motive is to apply the Art of the Deal, the only thing Trump understands.

They could simply mirror any such move, which just cause annoyance on both sides.

25 minutes ago, Machjo said:

It's not just Canada though.

True...many other nationals overstay their U.S. visas....more illegals for Trump to deal with, even though it started long before he became president.   Canadians and Mexicans get legal access, then they won't go back home.

A May 22 report from the Department of Homeland Security about visa overstays during fiscal year 2016 said that about 130,000 Canadian citizens overstayed their United States visas, making them the largest group of citizens from the more than 739,000 individuals who DHS said overstayed their visas.

When compared to overstays from Mexican citizens, total Canadian overstays were at 129,311 and Mexican overstays were at 52,958.

http://latinousa.org/2017/05/24/dhs-report-close-130k-canadians-overstayed-us-visas-fy2016/

Canada.png

Edited by bush_cheney2004

16 minutes ago, Machjo said:

We should not be holding punches in a trade war.

True, but Canada cannot win a trade war with the United States, and it only has itself to blame, being so utterly dependent on exports to the U.S., American capital (foreign direct investment), and oil/bitumen transport and refining.

35 minutes ago, Argus said:

They could simply mirror any such move, which just cause annoyance on both sides.

Er... yeah, that's the nature of war. I'm not pretending Canada will come out of this unscathed. If it was just us and them, the US would have the upper hand. But this war is the US vs everyone. The US is fighting a multifront war. With that, our countries combined can maje the US really feel the pinch. Canada will hurt too. That's inevitable now.

Edited by Machjo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

True, but Canada cannot win a trade war with the United States, and it only has itself to blame, being so utterly dependent on exports to the U.S., American capital (foreign direct investment), and oil/bitumen transport and refining.

Again, it's not just Canada vs. the US. It's the US vs. everyone. We now have allies.

That said, you're right, Canada has to accept some blame for this too and I hope it learns its lesson. But right now, we.re at war.

26 minutes ago, Machjo said:

Er... yeah, that's the nature of war. I'm not pretending Canada will come out of this unscathed. If it was just us and them, the US would have the upper hand. But this war is the US vs everyone. The US is fighting a multifront war. With that, our countries combined can maje the US really feel the pinch. Canada will hurt too. That's inevitable now.

Our grandparents committed some 25% of their GDP towards fighting tyrants.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Machjo said:

Again, it's not just Canada vs. the US. It's the US vs. everyone. We now have allies.

No, it is not everyone.    It is nations that have trade imbalances, tariffs, protectionism, etc., just like Canada (e.g. dairy supply management).

Despite Trudeau's "fearsome" response on maple syrup and allied war besties talk, Canada is not the USA's #1 ally...that would be the UK.

China overtook Canada as the USA's #1 trading partner last year (low oil prices).

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I think we should big brother wants to run the show it's time this country of Walt Disney fantasy living Canadians realize that our oz cowardly lion  will put us maybe at more danger of being coraled by our southern friends who may think we are a threat to there national interest and you know what happens to countries that are . fn wake up I'm sorry for speaking this way but if you think the us gives 2 shits about canada you are a complete fully liberal idiot and the us will pull so little pants down and show you who the boss is and have all of you singing a new song and new flag and no the Brita will do nothing  or France they won't risk there countries for us they may bitch cry and so on but nothing us little lost puppet would not even fight back so to make a long story short forget the visa you have to fight back with great effort or shut up and take what's coming like that kid prime minister we have and I as a canadian would never fight for him he's to weak .

At this point the only option is for all of the countries impacted by Trump’s retrograde tariffs to rally together, further lift trade barriers with each other and freeze out the U.S.  Don’t underestimate Canadian pride and the sacrifices Canadians will make in defence of fair policy.  The U.S. is powerful, but not more so than the EU, China and so many other powers in combination.  Just wait for the boycott of U.S. products by all of these other powers if Trump doesn’t smarten up. 

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

At this point the only option is for all of the countries impacted by Trump’s retrograde tariffs to rally together, further lift trade barriers with each other and freeze out the U.S.  Don’t underestimate Canadian pride and the sacrifices Canadians will make in defence of fair policy.  The U.S. is powerful, but not more so than the EU, China and so many other powers in combination.  Just wait for the boycott of U.S. products by all of these other powers if Trump doesn’t smarten up. 

I agree with you but can those other countries really get together and show the unity that's needed I know I was a bit harsh but I am canadian family has been here since 1752 approx and I just don't fully trust America's deep agenda for canada especially with trump at the helm they need water talk to California America's version of bc a nation interest item canada trapped between Alaska  and the us to the south oil in the attic Americans there now get in a plane take a look  yes  a us national security interest and those American governments seriously how far have they been willing to go for there national interest..do people not get worried when a country sends a million troops to the middle East for the 12.6 or .8 percent of fuel and kill thousands of people for it. Now think about the amount of fuel they buy from us what 70 percent does that not make you think. I don't claim to have the answers but we do need to be very vigilant when it comes to the us.

2 hours ago, Briank said:

Yes I think we should big brother wants to run the show it's time this country of Walt Disney fantasy living Canadians realize that our oz cowardly lion  will put us maybe at more danger of being coraled by our southern friends who may think we are a threat to there national interest and you know what happens to countries that are . fn wake up I'm sorry for speaking this way but if you think the us gives 2 shits about canada you are a complete fully liberal idiot and the us will pull so little pants down and show you who the boss is and have all of you singing a new song and new flag and no the Brita will do nothing  or France they won't risk there countries for us they may bitch cry and so on but nothing us little lost puppet would not even fight back so to make a long story short forget the visa you have to fight back with great effort or shut up and take what's coming like that kid prime minister we have and I as a canadian would never fight for him he's to weak .

Ì

On 6/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, Briank said:

Lol calm down, Canada is not America's national security threat. this is just trade tactics used to negotiate. No need to throw a temper tantrum. America and Canada has always been and will be brothers, we are part of the same family, there are disagreement but don't worry big brother is always looking out for you canucks. So take your medicine and sign the new true free trade agreements with trump. no beating around the bush this time with tariffs and subsidies. 

On 6/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, Briank said:

I agree with you but can those other countries really get together and show the unity that's needed I know I was a bit harsh but I am canadian family has been here since 1752 approx and I just don't fully trust America's deep agenda for canada especially with trump at the helm they need water talk to California America's version of bc a nation interest item canada trapped between Alaska  and the us to the south oil in the attic Americans there now get in a plane take a look  yes  a us national security interest and those American governments seriously how far have they been willing to go for there national interest..do people not get worried when a country sends a million troops to the middle East for the 12.6 or .8 percent of fuel and kill thousands of people for it. Now think about the amount of fuel they buy from us what 70 percent does that not make you think. I don't claim to have the answers but we do need to be very vigilant when it comes to the us.

Jeesus you sound like the Alex Jones folks we have down south. Calm down, all trump want is a truly free trade agreement with no tariffs or subsidies from either party. The EU need to start playing ball, I mean look at the huge trade deficit they have. Weren't for us they'd be speaking Russian and have a lower quality of life. It's only fair they start paying for their own defense and remove their tariffs against american import which is the true reason for this "trade war", a term coined by anti trump leftist. Don't believe in the hype, all of this is part of a renegotiation tactic trump likes to do. He has the upper hand if you think about it. Tariffs are going to hurt everyone else more than it hurts us.  Why? because you all seem to like to do business here but don't want Americans to do business at your country. If anything you guys are the real protectionist , talk about hypocrisy. And you know what is the real twist here? what trump is trying to get  is actually a good thing for everyone one involved. Look it up or ask an economist, I doubt you will find anybody opposed to true free trade with no trade barriers. 

On June 10, 2018 at 7:28 AM, Briank said:

lol... America can't beat goat herders in aghanistan in 17 years. Canada  is not at risk. And you are mistaken...britain France. Australia etc would be here to help. Not to mention more than 50% of americans will fight for Canada against Trump. Thats a fact.

• 2 years later...