Conservatives vs Liberals.

You both think human beings will be comfortable being monitored every second of our lives from birth to death? People sitting around telling their virtual assistants what to do? 

Personally I think humankind will always need a barrier between us and AI. As much as silicone valley is burning up profits trying to figure out the next fad they have run into a barrier that might be difficult to overcome. AI assistants will have a hard time becoming more than just a novelty because they are just a middleman between you and your life, basically an irritant. I've heard Google duo can make appointments for you, sounds just like a real human, it'll never be able to make decisions on your behalf, it doesn't know what your thinking. If it does you've given up full control, is that what we want? May as well call and make the appointment in person... 

10 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

You both think human beings will be comfortable being monitored every second of our lives from birth to death? People sitting around telling their virtual assistants what to do? 

Umm, this already happens today. If only you worked in any IT field, you would know that almost everything about you and data collected from you is parsed, processed, and used either against you or "for you" (or technically for the company so they can sell more useless shit to get more money from you).

1 hour ago, angrypenguin said:

Umm, this already happens today. If only you worked in any IT field, you would know that almost everything about you and data collected from you is parsed, processed, and used either against you or "for you" (or technically for the company so they can sell more useless shit to get more money from you).

Watching, and learning is a natural human instinct.  It happened in the days of TV too.  

5 hours ago, angrypenguin said:

That is true... 

At this stage it is more passive and limited to devices. Do you think smart homes will catch on? Having the likes of Alexa, Home or Echo watching and listening to your every move should be creeping people out and there is no viable benefit.

On 5/30/2018 at 2:31 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Greg Gutfeld's video offers a binary perspective that is effective for his U.S. based audience, but I agree it is too simplistic and not directly applicable to a provincial election that is largely driven by local issues ("all politics is local").

Lots of voters straddle the fence by claiming to be "fiscally conservative...socially liberal".

I happen to enjoy watching and listening to Hannity, Laura, Tucker, Pirro and Watters on FOX news. They all speak with a conservative tongue. I just wish that we were allowed to have a similar FOX news network here in Canada. We had the Sun News Network years ago but they got the boot by the lieberal establishment media party who fought to have that station removed off the air and in the end they won. At least in America one can watch a liberal or conservative TV channel and can get both sides of the story unlike here in Canada where all we can get is the lieberal CTV, CBC and Global side of the story. Not great for conservatives like me. :(

53 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

That is true... 

At this stage it is more passive and limited to devices. Do you think smart homes will catch on? Having the likes of Alexa, Home or Echo watching and listening to your every move should be creeping people out and there is no viable benefit.

The sad part about it is that there are some people who seem to feel that it is no big deal at all if the government or others are listening to or recording their conversations. They say that if you have nothing to hide than you have nothing to worry about. Sure just what I need. Someone hear me fart in the can or watch me pick my nose. Great. LOL.

3 minutes ago, taxme said:

... At least in America one can watch a liberal or conservative TV channel and can get both sides of the story unlike here in Canada where all we can get is the lieberal CTV, CBC and Global side of the story. Not great for conservatives like me. :(

Agreed, but there are several things working against a balanced media, competing views approach in Canada:

• Free speech/expression rights have far stronger protections in the U.S.
  • Far fewer networks and distribution revenue base in Canada
  • Cultural, regional, and language barriers/dilution
  • Easy access to dominant U.S. media and content
  • Ideology conflict is "American style" politics...but change is afoot.

Sun News Network was called "Faux News North", but that wasn't so as the real Fox News Network has dominated U.S. cable news markets for many years, and also has carriage/demand in Canada.

22 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Agreed, but there are several things working against a balanced media, competing views approach in Canada:

• Free speech/expression rights have far stronger protections in the U.S.
  • Far fewer networks and distribution revenue base in Canada
  • Cultural, regional, and language barriers/dilution
  • Easy access to dominant U.S. media and content
  • Ideology conflict is "American style" politics...but change is afoot.

Sun News Network was called "Faux News North", but that wasn't so as the real Fox News Network has dominated U.S. cable news markets for many years, and also has carriage/demand in Canada.

Indeed there is only one main thing working against Canada and conservative people like me alright. It is called LIBERALISM. I always believed that if we were not living next to America but next to Mexico instead we would now be a third world country. I don't doubt that if Mexico was our neighbor Canada would now be a territory of Mexico and the official language would now be Mexican and English a second language. Just saying. 

Hate speech laws are anti-free speech laws and were created and were meant to shut down anyone who dared to question or challenge political correctness thanks to liberalism. 

I am sure glad that we can still get FOX news on TV here in Canada still. I am pretty sure that the liberals have been working hard for decades now to try and get rid of Fox news from being watched in Canada. At least with FOX news I can get to hear conservatives talking and where I can get the other side of the story that our Canadian liberal media will never tell Canadians.

Liberalism stinks and so does most of your so-called comedians. That putz Samantha Bee and her calling Trump's daughter a "feckless "C" word went way over board just like that scum ball Kathy Griffin standing and holding the head of President Trump who thought that this was funny and comedy. It is for sure that if a conservative comedian did the same thing to Obama or called his daughter what that putz said recently the chit would hit the fan and that comedians career would be over. Liberalism is such a classless ism. Deplorable people. :(

Something occurred to me just a little while ago regarding our discussion on technology and the topic of this thread. 

Maybe the best place for self learning AI is in government, then we'd get decisions based on logic instead of political biases. The parties from all sides could enter their arguments, the algorithm would be designed to consider all arguments plus data and considerations not covered by the participants then offer the best solution. 

Take big brother from Canada's bedrooms and put it into the hallowed halls of our political institutions...