If not Trump, then who?

Whether I am thinking optimistically or not, I very much doubt Donald Trump will be re-elected president in 2020. He has a core following, a strong following, to be sure, but despite that he failed to get a majority (or even a plurality for that matter) of popular votes in 2016. 

Provided the Democrats don't do something totally stupid--such as re-nominate Hillary for a re-match--he could very well lose his job on January 20, 2021. 

Who do you think will replace him? If he is persuaded for whatever reason not to run again, what Republican would run in his place? And who might the Democrats nominate in 2020 to run against Trump (or his replacement on the ballot)? I do not think it too early to ponder the matter.

It will be the usual suspects....many from the Republican Gang of 16 that Trump absolutely destroyed in the 2016 primaries.

Mitt Romney may have another go at it, too.

Win or lose...Trump really enjoys the game and all the media attention.    He already proved Barack Obama wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Whether I am thinking optimistically or not, I very much doubt Donald Trump will be re-elected president in 2020. He has a core following, a strong following, to be sure, but despite that he failed to get a majority (or even a plurality for that matter) of popular votes in 2016. 

Provided the Democrats don't do something totally stupid--such as re-nominate Hillary for a re-match--he could very well lose his job on January 20, 2021. 

Who do you think will replace him? If he is persuaded for whatever reason not to run again, what Republican would run in his place? And who might the Democrats nominate in 2020 to run against Trump (or his replacement on the ballot)? I do not think it too early to ponder the matter.

Personally, I believe that Trump will survive the next election and will be able to complete two terms as President. There is no one else in the Republican party that could take on Trump. The people love Trump. And the democrats have no one to run against him and be able to beat Trump in the next election.

Hillary, Obama, Comey, Schumer and Pelosi have destroyed the democrats. They have nothing to offer. Even dodo Pelosi said that if they were to take power the democrats would eliminate the tax cuts that Trump gave to the people. If that were not enough incentive to give to the people to not vote democrat that would/should be it. 

I hope that Mike Pence gives it a go. If he did he might just do it. Early yet though alright. 

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It will be the usual suspects....many from the Republican Gang of 16 that Trump absolutely destroyed in the 2016 primaries.

Mitt Romney may have another go at it, too.

Win or lose...Trump really enjoys the game and all the media attention.    He already proved Barack Obama wrong.

Obama once gave Trump a hard time at some media event while he was president. He tried to make a total fool of Trump back then. Now it is Trump's turn to take revenge and make a total fool of Obama. Trump is making Obama look like the stupid failure that he was and that Obama did nothing for America and Americans except to flood the country with illegal immigrants and gangs like MS-13. That is Obama's legacy. 

Trump is enjoying the game. When Trump can kick the old democratic old has been guards in the ass and call the fake and phony liberal media a bunch of liars you have to know that Trump is having plenty of fun with those democratic/liberal fools. Trump will always be a winner with his followers, no matter what. 

Trump has already scored major points:

1) Prevented Hillary from winning.

2) Pointedly showed the duplicity of media

3) Appointed Gorsuch to the Supreme Court

4) Got the US economy booming.  Let's see any future president try to undo and bring it back to the way it was before Trump.

5) The Middle-east deal with Muslim-majority nations on fighting terrorism.

6)  Scrambled up Clinton supporters in FBI, CIA and Justice Dept

That's all I can think of right now....

Edited by betsy

I think if Donald Trump ran again there is a good chance he would make the "old guard" look like crap. Passe, old, has been. Right now, being an outsider is a positive attribute.

Hence, one possible strategy to counter Trump is NOT to run the same old same olds against him. Bring in a liberal, political outsider. Perhaps even... someone who has the savvy to compete with Donald Trump at his level... he (or even better, she) is a media celebrity well known for liberal views and leadership. 

We've already heard about Oprah, etc. but that is old now. Here are some more progressive suggestions:
Lady Gaga - Think of the debate, with Lady Gaga in her all meat dress! No way for Trump to win.
Ellen Degeneres 
Pauley Perette - Rumoured to be looking for work these days!
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - If anybody can take the debate to Donald Trump's level, she's it!
Angelina Jolie 
Miley Cyrus
Jennifer Lopez!

Edited by OftenWrong

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the economy yet regarding the subject of Trump's re-election chances. That's what it all hinges on after all. If the US economy tanks, an idiot like Trump is so hated by so many people that he won't be able to be elected dogcatcher without some sort of general confidence that the economy will improve and that he'll actually be able to increase manufacturing jobs. 

Just now, WIP said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the economy yet regarding the subject of Trump's re-election chances. That's what it all hinges on after all. If the US economy tanks, an idiot like Trump is so hated by so many people that he won't be able to be elected dogcatcher without some sort of general confidence that the economy will improve and that he'll actually be able to increase manufacturing jobs. 

The only mention of the US economy I've seen, is that it's totally booming. And with recent news that China has agreed to pump another 200 Billion or so into the US, exclusively due to manoeuvres by Donald Trump, there is no reason to think it will tank any time soon. In fact if he pulls it off, expect the complete opposite. Then you can bet your money that "an idiot like Trump" will get re-elected.

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

The only mention of the US economy I've seen, is that it's totally booming. And with recent news that China has agreed to pump another 200 Billion or so into the US, exclusively due to manoeuvres by Donald Trump, there is no reason to think it will tank any time soon. In fact if he pulls it off, expect the complete opposite. Then you can bet your money that "an idiot like Trump" will get re-elected.

It's booming if you own a bank, an arms manufacturing operation or an oil company, otherwise.........

Have to disagree about wanting to see Mike Pence give it a go. The man supports conversion therapy for heaven's sake. My state's Republican governor just signed a bill into law banning it.

It's up to the Democrats now whether Trump is in office in 2021-5. If they nominate Hillary again, or someone equally adept at losing elections, Trump's presidency will end in 2025, not 2021.

Also, it's unlikely that the sitting president will be dumped by the party. A faction of the Democratic Party tried the same thing, unsuccessfully, in 1980-- to replace Jimmy Carter with Ted Kennedy, as a matter of fact. So I'm more concentrating on who the Dems have to put up. If they have anyone at all. It cannot be someone in Washington. They need to pick a safely-moderate governor from somewhere. Any thoughts on who THAT Might be?

Edited by JamesHackerMP

Provided, also that the Democrats nominate someone who's not far enough left to be in Stalin's backyard, any thoughts on what the result of the next election will be?

I found, for Android tablets, an electoral college calculator and I've been playing around with it. According to what the "state profiles" say about the states, I've got 140 for Trump (or another Republican) and 184 for the Democrats, based on past elections. But I've left Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Virginia and some others blank. Any thoughts? I know maybe that is getting slightly off topic, but I'm curious to see predictions for 2020.

40 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

...I found, for Android tablets, an electoral college calculator and I've been playing around with it. According to what the "state profiles" say about the states, I've got 140 for Trump (or another Republican) and 184 for the Democrats, based on past elections. But I've left Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Virginia and some others blank. Any thoughts? I know maybe that is getting slightly off topic, but I'm curious to see predictions for 2020.

To this quantitative issue, I would only point out that U.S. media had long cultivated the false narrative of Trump (and other previous candidates) needing to win Florida to have any chance of becoming president.   As we saw in 2016, Trump did not need Florida to defeat Clinton, as he destroyed the other media myth of Clinton's "blue wall".

Yes, states have trended certain ways in many elections, but each election is different.

I think Trump will clearly be the Republican candidate in 2020. The question is who will the Democrats run against him. My thought is that the Democrats will either pick a boring establishment candidate that will fail to excite anyone, or a far left social justice ideologue who will excite a portion of the Democrat base but put off many others. Despite all of Trump's many problems, I think the Democrats will probably not fail to shoot themselves in the foot.

What the Democrats need to run is an exciting younger person that will unapologetically defend the virtues of classical liberalism, free trade, free speech, and American leadership in the world instead of isolationism. Someone along the lines of France's Macron. I have no idea who that person might be among the Democrats, but I'm pretty sure that even if that person exists, the Democrats will certainly not choose him/her as their presidential candidate. 

1 minute ago, BubberMiley said:

You think he'll be able to secure the nomination from prison?

I think the idea that he's going to prison is absurd. No US president or former president has ever gone to prison, I'm pretty sure. Whatever any investigation finds, the Republican-controlled congress will shield him from any consequences. 

The Democrats have embraced a toxic ideology that they think will win them new voters while alienating many others....illegal immigrants.   We are already seeing pushback against so called "sanctuary cities", even in California.  

If the U.S. economy continues to hum along at present trends, incumbent Trump will be hard to beat.

"The economy, stupid." - James Carville (1992)

"It's still the economy, stupid."  - Forbes Magazine (2017)

President Trump is not going to prison...this meme is just continuing scar tissue from those who can't accept the fact that Trump defeated Hillary Clinton. 

Even her husband, Bill Clinton, ran for a second term when faced with impeachment ready investigations (he was eventually impeached).  No prison time, but he was disbarred.

Personally, I think Trump winning a second term would be even more crushing for Democrats than the political beat down(s) they experienced in 2016 and previous Congressional / State elections under Obama (lost about 1,000 seats).

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Right, but they called Bill Slick Willie not for nothing. The investigation was ramped up with Monicagate.

I have to admit, though, that Trump likely won't go to prison.

How many Democrats are state governors? Anyone prominent?

Edited by JamesHackerMP