What Are You Personally Doing To Help?

The destruction and havoc that has happened in Asia this past week as a result of the earthquake and tsunamis has left many, many people in dire straits. For once there is no villain that caused this tragedy.

Yes the Canadian governemnt and governments around the planet are helping, and perhaps eventually we will need to raise taxes in Canada to help, but in the meantime what are you doing personally to assist these impoverished people?

There are many things you could do but the relief agencies' primarily need is financial contributions. Have you personally made a financial contribution, and if not, why not?

I think we have dug deep enough with our taxes; 80 million from the feds and 8 million from BC. And there seems to be money coming from almost every province.

The Canada govt also froze their debts to Canada until they have recovers; that is is the multi millions. There are many people in the world elsewhere that are suffering without help or sympathy.

I think we have dug deep enough with our taxes;

I put up a big jar in my little office labeled "Thailand". I got enough cash contributions to spend a month+ holidaying there, but I think I prefer Hawaii. So that's where I'll go.

pretty funny guys. I guess it when it isn't your wife, child, sister, brother or mother and father it doesn't matter.... Well guess what, it is somebodys wife, child, sister, brother or mother and father and they need our help, in addition to whatthe gov'ts are giving, This is a bigger disaster than any of us can fathom. Please give.

The interesting side is how the NGOs use this catastrophe to raise funds. IMV, the honest ones explain that any contributions will be used for long term work.

These guys love dramatic catastrophes (earthquakes, floods, wars) at slow news times. The more striking the photos, the better. Donations increase.

The ongoing deaths caused by malaria or bad drinking water never get headlines. (Without headlines, Andrew Carnegie built libraries in small towns across America.)

As much as I thought the movie Wag the Dog was silly, I have to admit that Leftist charities rely on such "Save the Child" images.

I think there is more than enough money; at least at this time. I would not donate money to this disaster anymore than any other charity in these third world country where the money usually falls into the hand of corrupt officials. Money is not the biggest issue at this time. It is a question of getting these needed supplies to regions that have been cut off. I understand that the conditions make even dropping these supplies by helicopter difficult.

If it makes you feel better to donate money; I would suggest the Red Cross. When it gets too much money for one disaster it can re direct it to areas that do not get the publicity but have the same or more need,

Thailand has promised to establish a tsunami warning system for the country's tourist resorts. The announcement comes after government weather officials conceded they had time to issue an alert after the Indonesian earthquake but chose not to, for fear of damaging confidence in the country's tourism industry.

Disgusting

Opportunistic quoting Caeser?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/01/0...reut/index.html

Samith Dhammasaroj said Monday he was sure a tsunami was coming as soon as he heard about the massive Dec. 26 earthquake off Indonesia's Sumatra island that measured magnitude 9.0 -- the world's biggest in 40 years.

"I tried to call the director-general of the meteorological office, but his phone was always busy," Samith said as he described his desperate attempts to generate an alert which might have saved thousands of lives.

"I tried to phone the office, but it was a Sunday and no-one was there," said the former chief of the meteorological department now charged with setting up an early warning disaster system for Thailand.

"I knew that one day we would have this type of tsunami. I warned that there would be a big disaster," he told reporters.

"Everyone laughed at me and said I was a bad guy who wanted to ruin the tourist industry," he added.

The tsunami took just 75 minutes to hit the beaches and islands of Thailand's Andaman Sea coast, 600 km (375 miles) from the earthquake's epicenter.

Post the whole thing so it can't be taken out of context.

It is not taken out of context. There could have been a warning but they didn't want to scare the tourists.

You sure come to the defense of foreign governments while consistently criticizing our own.

There was lots of time to get out a warning. 75 minutes could have saved a lot of people.

What is opportunistic about it? The extra you added adds nothing except one man's frustration and failure to find a way to do the job. Even to have phoned radio stations; or go to the beach and tell people to leave.

I think we have dug deep enough with our taxes;

I put up a big jar in my little office labeled "Thailand". I got enough cash contributions to spend a month+ holidaying there, but I think I prefer Hawaii. So that's where I'll go.

:lol::D:lol:

Frankly, I think you are morally obligated to go to Thailand. But you might want to book for next year.

It is not taken out of context. There could have been a warning but they didn't want to scare the tourists.

You sure come to the defense of foreign governments while consistently criticizing our own.

There was lots of time to get out a warning. 75 minutes could have saved a lot of people.

What is opportunistic about it? The extra you added adds nothing except one man's frustration and failure to find a way to do the job. Even to have phoned radio stations; or go to the beach and tell people to leave.

I disagree. Your quote suggests that the concern for tourism influenced the decision whether or not to warn people after the quake occured. The other information says that tourism influenced the decision making prior to the earthquake.

I've donated to Doctors without Borders. And now I feel selfish and guilt-riddenbecause I've ignored further calls for donations from:

1) place of work;

2) Tim Horton's

3) my kids' school.

How much more can I give? No matter how much, it won't compare to how much the survivors still need.

• 4 weeks later...
... perhaps eventually we will need to raise taxes in Canada to help,

That would be completely immoral. Practically depraved. Who the fark does the government think it is to impose its charitable objectives on the poor working stiffs in Canada?

That would be nothing but theft.

but in the meantime what are you doing personally to assist these impoverished people?

Nothing. The moment the gov. decided to "match" private donations it became immoral for me to donate as doing so would impose a tax burden on my fellow citizens.