The Leftist Mindset

betsy

I've posted about the angry, explosive tweets "triggered" by Pratt's praying for someone to get well.

Now, I just finished posting on Abortion at the other section talking about the foggy mindset of society when I came across this.  I mean, c'mon....

Woman calls cops on man playing with his kids at park because she was afraid of his pro-gun shirt

The shirt in question is a cop-designed, pro-Second Amendment T-shirt that features an AR-style weapon graphic and text that reads, “I’ll control my guns, you control your kids.”

Johnston, who was legally and openly carrying his firearm on a hip holster wore the above shirt to the father-daughter outing.

Blue Lives Matter reported that Benbrook Police Department Cpl. J. Reese said the woman did indeed call police on Johnston, and described him as a “suspicious person” who had a “gun holstered to his chest” and wearing the offensive T-shirt.

When Reese arrived at the park, he spoke with the woman, who said that Johnston was “was making other parents on the playground very uncomfortable with his T-shirt.”

“She was not scared of the gun,” Reese added. “[She] was concerned about his T-shirt.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/04/16/woman-calls-cops-on-man-playing-with-his-kids-at-park-because-she-was-afraid-of-his-pro-gun-shirt

Reminds me of a woman who wrote a complaint letter in a local newspaper........upset about the pictures of abortion by pro-life activists, and yet, not upset about the actual abortions!

I'm telling you.....something is going on inside those liberal heads.  :lol:

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

I know many different people who are on different portions of the left/right spectrum. I have to be honest with you; the hypocrisy and small-mindedness of people anywhere is mind boggling. The Left talk progress and open mindedness, and then suffer temporary amnesia thereof when it comes to the most important kind of diversity: thought. The Right talk about freedom and personal accountability, and suffer temporary amnesia when it comes to the freedom of their opponents. (And don't get me started on their religious views, but we've already sparred over those.) Still, it amuses me how many on the left speak of the right as the only culprits in our society of political hypocrisy; and when the right do precisely the same.

• Like 1

I think anyone who tries to generalize politics to such an extent that they can comment on an overall "leftist" or a "rightist" mindset has either a very, very simplistic grasp of politics or is only interested in dividing our society further by promoting the "my team" versus "your team" mindset to its limit. It's the worst aspect of politics today, and it's telling that it's almost always talking about the "left" and "leftists" and rarely about the "right" and "rightists."

• Like 1

A lot depends on what were are used to.   In most civilised countries the sight of an armed nutter in a children's playground would be enough to cause total panic in the most right-wing person and the immediate arrest of the nutter would be inevitable.    The fact that the US is weird should not convince anyone that guns are not designed to kill, and are totally unsuitable in this context.

On 23/04/2018 at 1:55 PM, BubberMiley said:

I think anyone who tries to generalize politics to such an extent that they can comment on an overall "leftist" or a "rightist" mindset has either a very, very simplistic grasp of politics or is only interested in dividing our society further by promoting the "my team" versus "your team" mindset to its limit. It's the worst aspect of politics today, and it's telling that it's almost always talking about the "left" and "leftists" and rarely about the "right" and "rightists."

And references to a "left/right spectrum" (see JamesHackerMP's post above) don't help, either: they paint a wholly inadequate picture of political values being one-dimensional.

On 2018-04-23 at 4:55 AM, BubberMiley said:

The real division that society needs to pay far more attention to is the one between those who govern and those who are governed.  What's especially interesting about the telling aspect you mention is that the right-wing was originally defined as being the small cadre of wealthy powerful people close to the monarch and which they sat to the right of in their legislative assemblies.  Everyone else, the vast majority that is, sat to the left side of the ruler and his little cadre.  Perhaps the left draws a greater amount of vociferous attention to itself because it still comprises the vast majority of society as it did when the terms left and right were originally coined.  OTOH perhaps its simply because so-called self-styled right-wingers amongst the vast unwashed are the most natural born sycophantic toadies in the known universe.  In any case, and when they're not laughing their asses off at how easy they have it, the wealthy powerful minority are quite thankful for the social insulation that modern right-wingers provide.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:33 AM, Antares said:

And references to a "left/right spectrum" (see JamesHackerMP's post above) don't help, either: they paint a wholly inadequate picture of political values being one-dimensional.

Well, I admit that; but I was trying to keep with the original poster's inadequate picture. Probably a mistake, since you seemed to have missed that that is exactly what I am saying.

Betsy, the entire political system has managed to dumb itself down to my team/your team. This behavior you cited is a good example of it. There are of course, other good examples of it, some that take place among members of what you call "the right".

Edited by JamesHackerMP

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this stunning statement from an Erratum published in the January 2016 edition of the American Journal of Political Science:

The authors regret that there is an error in the published version of “Correlation not Causation: The Relationship between Personality Traits and Political Ideologies” American Journal of Political Science 56 (1), 34–51. The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed. Thus, where we indicated that higher scores in Table 1 (page 40) reflect a more conservative response, they actually reflect a more liberal response. Specifically, in the original manuscript, the descriptive analyses report that those higher in Eysenck’s psychoticism are more conservative, but they are actually more liberal; and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative.

In plain language, they exactly reversed the results. According to the actual results of the study, Liberals are more authoritarian.

Conservatives were inclined towards “social desirability.” 

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/presenting-one-most-humiliating-academic-mistakes-ever/

We know that!  Some of us have been saying that all along.....

Heck, it's the liberals who want to control everything you do - from what you say to what you eat to what you do!  They know what's good for you.....and they want to make the decision for you!

Edited by betsy

Just look at the Green movement as an example!

Elites, whose lifestyles lead them to burn lots of carbon, rail about the Paris accords to those who get by burning lots less. What is galling is to see how little the elites’ green rhetoric is backed up by their green behavior. Could Hollywood celebrities at least for a year swear off the use of their private jets that emit more carbon emissions in a year than entire small towns in Ohio?

Why do not college professors who are strident activists for climate change agree to limit their intercontinental jet trips to one a year? Could our pundits and politicians who warn Middle America to brace for radical changes in their lifestyles at least agree to live in houses smaller than 2,500 square feet?

Could Hollywood celebrities at least for a year swear off the use of their private jets that emit more carbon emissions in a year than entire small towns in Ohio?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/06/hypocrite-democrats-lecture-country-exempt-themselves-resemble-jimmy-swaggart/

Don't do as I do.....do as I say!

Oh......and one of the fave issues these days - the racial divide!

Wealthy white college kids chant about the demon white privilege, going so far as to help demand racially segregated safe spaces, dorms, and, in one case currently in the news, temporary expulsion of white people from campus. They rage against a privilege that they enjoy and that their perceived targets — the unenlightened middle of America — do not. Yet one easy way of ending white privilege, to the extent that it exists, among elite enclaves would be to send one’s children to public high schools rich in diversity.

One wonders how many hecklers and disrupters at Middlebury College, to take one example, chose prep school when there were better opportunities to mingle with minorities at inner-city schools? And if they really wished to address culpable whites, shouldn’t the college sponsor field trips to rural Pennsylvania or southern Ohio where such chanting demonstrators might more directly address the targets of their ire?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/06/hypocrite-democrats-lecture-country-exempt-themselves-resemble-jimmy-swaggart/

Edited by betsy

Re-distribution?  Bah.......

Obama, who lectured the country that wealthy people did not build their own businesses, that everyone should realize when they had made enough money, and that it was not the time for profiting, now earns $400,000 from Wall Street interests for short speeches on his past successes — on the heels of raking in a reported $60 million for a his-and-hers book deal. How does the tire saleswoman in Grand Rapids or the welder in Tennessee square that?

Americans have no problem with Obama’s post-presidential lucrative entrepreneurialism, but they do mind that he is never subject to the ramifications of his own loud redistributionist ideology.

Edited by betsy

• 3 weeks later...

The leftist mindset is to always find a scapegoat. When talking about the environment, you blame the big oil companies for Climate Change, instead of making everyone who drives a car responsible. The liberals want a redistribution of responsibility. Conservatives are in the mindset of individual responsibility. We all take the consequences for our own actions. What liberals do, is say only a certain group or businesses are responsible. Those groups must be punished, so justice can be served for everyone.

Edited by Robert Greene

• 4 weeks later...

The times they are a-changin. As kids we used to walk down the street with our pellet guns. Now they call the police if a kid brings a squirt gun to school. You'd never know by all the perpetually frightened fruit baskets that we live in the safest society to ever exist in human history. 

Nope, nazis are lurking behind every rock and tree. 

My Mom used to kick me out of the house - GO outside and PLAY! I would disappear on my bike in the mornings, and she would have no idea where I was. No helmet, hockey stick in hand, riding around the neighborhood looking for friends and play mates. As long as I was not late for dinner, she never worried. Now, helicopter parents hover over their kid all day long and go into a panic if the kid is out of sight for a few minutes. Mass hysteria is the status quo. 

Funny thing is, it was FAR more dangerous statistically when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. But now media bombards parents with a constant report of violent crimes every day to the point it's all blown out of proportion to the actual danger. 

45 minutes ago, BuzzKillington said:

My Mom used to kick me out of the house - GO outside and PLAY! I would disappear on my bike in the mornings, and she would have no idea where I was. No helmet, hockey stick in hand, riding around the neighborhood looking for friends and play mates. As long as I was not late for dinner, she never worried. Now, helicopter parents hover over their kid all day long and go into a panic if the kid is out of sight for a few minutes. Mass hysteria is the status quo.

I smiled when reading this. I grew up in the 50s and 60s and your description is pretty accurate for that period. We were told to be home for dinner and that was about the only restriction on our freedom, other of course than that our homework had to be completed. In the household in which I was raised, my parents were pretty insistent on us maintaining good grades.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:29 AM, betsy said:

I've posted about the angry, explosive tweets "triggered" by Pratt's praying for someone to get well.

Now, I just finished posting on Abortion at the other section talking about the foggy mindset of society when I came across this.  I mean, c'mon....

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/04/16/woman-calls-cops-on-man-playing-with-his-kids-at-park-because-she-was-afraid-of-his-pro-gun-shirt

Reminds me of a woman who wrote a complaint letter in a local newspaper........upset about the pictures of abortion by pro-life activists, and yet, not upset about the actual abortions!

I'm telling you.....something is going on inside those liberal heads.  :lol:

It is looking very much like liberals have gone bonkers. They are in total meltdown. Just watching what they do and say about Trump just about every day is bloody awful. Maxine Waters has called for impeachment 45 against Trump. But it would appear as though she is the one that should be impeached 45. The traitorous and treasonous and disgusting things that she has said about and towards Trump are beyond acting civilized. How or why she is not in jail yet is beyond me. When it comes to liberals they cannot be fixed just like a broken record cannot be fixed. The liberal/democrats have truly become an exercise in futility. :unsure:

On 7/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, BuzzKillington said:

You wore a helmet? Wooos! We rode without helmets and played hockey the same way!

And you know what? If we did have to go to ER, there was virtually no waiting! Amazing, eh!?

On 7/6/2018 at 10:17 AM, BuzzKillington said:

Now, helicopter parents hover over their kid all day long and go into a panic if the kid is out of sight for a few minutes. Mass hysteria is the status quo.

The real problem is with helicopter governments hovering over a society that is conditioned to register complaints with officials.

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

The real problem is with helicopter governments hovering over a society that is conditioned to register complaints with officials.

Not much point in registering them with the Ump the next time you're at the ballpark.