How do you know what media/sources to trust?

Wow, Der Speigel is a respected paper, but this is worth noting
"Relotius, 33, resigned after admitting to the scam. He had written for the magazine for seven years and won numerous awards for his investigative journalism, including CNN Journalist of the Year in 2014".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/19/top-der-spiegel-journalist-resigns-over-fake-interviews

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngstudent said:

It's really hard to know 100% which media is telling the truth. I think that we should always be careful. It's really good to have different sources of information. 

But they should be nonymous news bringers tied to some organization.

We make a big deal when Der Spiegel is found out to have shown fake information, but not so much when The Rebel or Ontario Proud does.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

We make a big deal when Der Spiegel is found out to have shown fake information, but not so much when The Rebel or Ontario Proud does.

From which one of the three would you generally expect unbiased, truthful reporting?

On 12/24/2018 at 4:51 PM, Michael Hardner said:

The Rebel is not a real news source, and Ontario Proud - of which we hear endless reams of horror from the media these days - was merely a pro-conservative lobby group, VASTLY outnumbered in money and effort spent by union affiliated pro-Liberal lobby groups the media has utterly ignored.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

The Rebel is not a real news source, and Ontario Proud - of which we hear endless reams of horror from the media these days - was merely a pro-conservative lobby group, VASTLY outnumbered in money and effort spent by union affiliated pro-Liberal lobby groups the media has utterly ignored.

What about my point on the Sun ?

You're now on record saying The Rebel isn't a source.  

As for Ontario Proud:
"Contributions may only be made by “persons individually” — that is, by individuals who are residents of Ontario (or their estates).[4] Contributions made through any trade union,[5]corporation, unincorporated association, or organization are prohibited. "

https://www.mccarthy.ca/en/insights/articles/election-law-101-read-you-get-involved-ontarios-upcoming-provincial-campaign

So they're a sneaky 3rd party that is finding its way around election laws.  Now we have North 99 which is the left- version of the same thing.

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What about my point on the Sun ?

What about it? I don't read the Sun and I generally avoid quoting it simply because the Lefties react like this. The cite I made was of routine news which has appeared in numerous media before, however. It's no surprise and it's hardly 'fake news'.

You're now on record saying The Rebel isn't a source.  

Uh okay.

As for Ontario Proud:
"Contributions may only be made by “persons individually” — that is, by individuals who are residents of Ontario (or their estates).[4] Contributions made through any trade union,[5]corporation, unincorporated association, or organization are prohibited. "

https://www.mccarthy.ca/en/insights/articles/election-law-101-read-you-get-involved-ontarios-upcoming-provincial-campaign

So they're a sneaky 3rd party that is finding its way around election laws.  Now we have North 99 which is the left- version of the same thing.

So how is that the media? As to whether what it did was illegal, I'll leave that up to Elections Ontario. I do know that Ontario elections have been HEAVILY influenced for the past decade by millions and millions of dollars in money coming from public service unions into phony lobbying organizations which took out TV, radio and newspaper ads to support the Liberals without identifying who was paying for them. I didn't see any outrage from the media over that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Argus said:

1. What about it? I don't read the Sun and I generally avoid quoting it simply because the Lefties react like this. The cite I made was of routine news which has appeared in numerous media before, however. It's no surprise and it's hardly 'fake news'.

2. Uh okay.

3. So how is that the media? As to whether what it did was illegal, I'll leave that up to Elections Ontario. I do know that Ontario elections have been HEAVILY influenced for the past decade by millions and millions of dollars in money coming from public service unions into phony lobbying organizations which took out TV, radio and newspaper ads to support the Liberals without identifying who was paying for them. I didn't see any outrage from the media over that.

1. Ok, I thought somebody quoted it and that's why we're talking about it?  I am not going to go back and search for the link.

2. It matters.  As I stated elsewhere, I think, I dropped the CCPA for the same reason.  Nobody seems to care about principles for themselves, and yet they wonder why the quality of our leaders is suffering.

3. Ontario Proud is election advertising.  There was no outrage before because it wasn't illegal.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:46 PM, Hal 9000 said:

The first thing is to be able to separate the news shows from the opinion shows.  Unfortunately, prime time is all a game between CNN (Lemon/Cooper) Vs MSNBC (Maddow, Lawrence ?and Matthews - and the other Chris guy) Vs. Fox (Hannity, Carlson, and Laura).  Get rid of all these people and get back to news.

Yeah that would be great, but it comes down to conditioning people to think that it's real news via these 'influencers' , because they sure hell are not reporters.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:13 PM, scribblet said:

Wow, Der Speigel is a respected paper, but this is worth noting
"Relotius, 33, resigned after admitting to the scam. He had written for the magazine for seven years and won numerous awards for his investigative journalism, including CNN Journalist of the Year in 2014".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/19/top-der-spiegel-journalist-resigns-over-fake-interviews

Trump was correct calling them 'fake news'.

He has a point…   CNN ran a segment on how Trump's use of "witch hunt" offends witches…   so..  I can’t wait until Trump says something negative about Adolph Hitler only to see CNN do a 30 minute episode of “How Hitler was a great man”.

CNN TDS is off the wall

• Thanks 1

When you ask for proof, people in general will show you an article published in a media organ which contains no proofs or evidences but just conspiracy theories. This is why these media organs are called as "operational". So they are used to affect public opinion by governments. Western countries have soo much these kind of operational media organs and most of the Western people are brainwashed. 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:37 AM, Argus said:

If the media utterly ignored these union affiliated pro-Liberal lobby groups then how or where did Argus hear and learn about them?

Someone else will have to ask Argus this question however because he ignores me.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

If the media utterly ignored these union affiliated pro-Liberal lobby groups then how or where did Argus hear and learn about them?

Someone else will have to ask Argus this question however because he ignores me.

If someone does, he will hear about it, even though he utterly ignores you.

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

Welcome to the club. He ignores me also and I guess that I should take that as a badge of honor and maybe so should you. Why he is here is beyond me. The only reason as to why this guy probably ignores certain members here is because he cannot win an argument with them and he knows it so he just ignores them. He is acting like a spoiled little child. At least I am proud to say that I will not run away from anyone here. I have my opinions and beliefs and points of view and I am willing to discuss and debate those beliefs and opinions with any member here. 

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

If someone does, he will hear about it, even though he utterly ignores you.

If he is going to play that game called avoidance well maybe everyone here should do the same and ignore him. He can enjoy just talking to himself. Just a suggestion. :D

On 12/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I will take The Rebel, RightEdition or Ontario Proud any day over the nonsense media and sources that you get your information from. They lie. Truth matters to me. :D

2 hours ago, taxme said:

If he is going to play that game called avoidance well maybe everyone here should do the same and ignore him. He can enjoy just talking to himself. Just a suggestion. :D

2 hours ago, taxme said:

I will take The Rebel, RightEdition or Ontario Proud any day over the nonsense media and sources that you get your information from. They lie. Truth matters to me. :D

Do I really need to comment...?

So if you haven't noticed, a bunch of idiots were protesting across Canada today because the RCMP arrested some native activists out in BC. We had a bunch of them here, and so there were two reports on local news from CTV and CBC. Both reports mentioned how the natives were trying to stop a pipeline, and quoted the protestors saying things like 'this is an act of war' and 'they have no right to do this on native land' and even 'this is against the united nations human rights code'.

Here's what neither report bothered to mention. There are six native bands in that region, and all six have given permission for the pipeline to be run through that area. The couple of dozen people blocking roads are dissenters who do not actually represent anyone but themselves.

Great reporting, as usual.

18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There's another group that have claimed sovereignty over the land. It's not something that has happened just now as you implied.

They are members of the same tribe, but 'hereditary' chiefs, not the elected chiefs. The pipeline company has an agreement with the elected chiefs. I honestly don't know how you can get anything done in this damn country any more when even on the rare occasion you get unanimous buy-in from the 'elected chiefs', which means by bribing them, you still find yourself demonized and blockaded by dissenters within the native community who apparently want more.

I am really getting tired of natives, to be honest, and feeling less and less into compromise and more into just ramming stuff through without regard to their damn feelings and what great sky bear won't approve of or where they used to hunt two or three hundred years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Another trusted and respected main stream paper has had to issue an apology and pay damages, how could such a newspaper get something so wrong and publish without fact checking. 

I didn't see the original which clearly was a complete fabrication, so  question is, how  on earth are we to know who to believe these days.
British Newspaper Publishes Massive Apology to Melania Trump; Will Pay First Lady ‘Substantial Damages’ and Legal Costs  - The Telegraph apologized for numerous false statements about Melania and her family.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/26/melania-trump-apology/
Modify message

The CBC ombudsman tells us that CBC failed to comply with its own journalistic standards on accuracy and impartiality in two stories on climate change. Even the corrections the CBC eventually made 'violated ... principles on correction of errors & honesty'   really, I say defund it now, it's just a propaganda arm of the Liberal party.  

http://www.ombudsman.cbc.radio-canada.ca/_files/documents/Révision 28 jan 19_RCI_ENGLISH23.pdf

• Like 1