Mahar Arar: Man of the Year

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still not entirely convinced that Mahar Arar is NOT a terrorist or someone raising money for the terrorists. Making him "Suspect of the Year" would have been more appropriate.

Please substantiate your absurd remarks!

If you have some concrete accusations to make do so, otherwise please remember this is Canada and we try not to punish people based on their ethnic background and the colour of their skin. :(

I too am not entirely convinced that Arar is "clean". I suspect he does have some ties to a terrorist group, otherwise it is unlikely Canada would have been investigating him and been able to pass a file to the US.

Yes, I think deporting him to Syria was wrong. But should there still be an investigation into whether he might have been associated with a terrorist organization continue? Yes.

Please substantiate your absurd remarks!

If you have some concrete accusations to make do so, otherwise please remember this is Canada and we try not to punish people based on their ethnic background and the colour of their skin. :(

Where in my post does it mention his ethnicity or the colour of his skin???? Your remarks are the absurd ones, not to mention presumptuous!

I'm just curious as to the link between Arar and Abdullah Almalki, a suspected al-Quaida member. Both men co-signed on an apartment lease in Ottawa.

Innocent? Maybe. But I think Mahar Arar should be investigated further, not made "Man of the Year"!

Mahar Arar: Man of the Year

What does say about Canadian values?

If being (at best) a hapless victim of circumstances is good enough to make you Man of the Year in Canada, I guess what it says about Canadian values is that Canadians don't place a high value on achievement... because aside from getting arrested, I don't know what Maher Arar has ever achieved. Surely somebody in Canada must have actually achieved something in 2004.

-kimmy

• 7 months later...

This is what happens when we buy into all the hesteria concerning security issues. How bloody tragic for Mahar Arar just as that recent situation in London was even more tragic for Mr Jean Charles de Menezes. This is why we must never give in to losing our freedoms or we will become a police state with all its fascist ramifications.

This seems like another classic screwup whether by the US police or Canadian police, what's the difference to Mr Arar, and a very, very good reason we need to at least keep our Canadian police forces on a very short leash.

Didn't expect U.S. to send Arar to Syria: Mountie

• 3 weeks later...

The NDP is calling for an extension of the public inquiry

The government must go beyond the case of Maher Arar and shine a public light on the situation of other Canadian citizens who were investigated by federal authorities at home and tortured abroad, the three opposition parties said yesterday.

The NDP is calling for an extension of the public inquiry into the case of Mr. Arar to deal with similar situations faced by people such as Ahmad El Maati, who came under scrutiny after a map of federal buildings in Ottawa -- now revealed to be innocuous -- was found in his truck.

Leaders of the Conservative Party and the Bloc Québécois also said that Parliament has to be involved to get to the bottom of the matter.

We are beginning to see the results when we allow our security forces to get out of control. There needs to be some accountability though from our elected politicians over this. Who should take the fall and resign for allowing Canadian citizens to be treated this way?

Dear Kimmy

If Mahar Arar can show Canadians how bad some of the things we are doing are, and things change for the better because of his inquiry, I think Canada is extremely fortunate to have him. Arar has already made a major achievement by this exposure.

Achievement comes in many different forms.

Cheers,