Doug Ford - leader of Ontario PCs

1 hour ago, PIK said:

The drug trade, ya selling hash to friends in the 80's If that is all you have topaz keep it to yourself. I see today the city of TO has a debt problem, I wonder why. Anything is better than wynne.

Well, we may need to look at the late Rob Ford's actions as Mayor that can help to explain TOs debt problem. Wynne has her role in it for sure, but she was never mayor of Toronto ( I could be wrong).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PIK said:

The drug trade, ya selling hash to friends in the 80's If that is all you have topaz keep it to yourself. I see today the city of TO has a debt problem, I wonder why. Anything is better than wynne.

No he was a mid level dealer, not some kid selling to his friends. The blindness of right wing partisans is amazing.

b.t.w. Rob Ford's financial record in Toronto was terrible.

Edited by ?Impact

4 hours ago, GostHacked said:

What am I lying about? I would not vote PC anyways, nor would I vote Liberal, nor will I vote for the NDP.  But when you put someone like Ford to go against Wynne, we are in a real state of trouble.  This is part of the problem. We don't get to choose the leader of the party, we elect the party, they select the leader.

There are other options, depending on riding. Such as Freedom Party and Libertarian Party.

Did I hear Ford saying ‘we’re going to win areas that have never went PC before'? I did:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-toronto-centric-1.457269

How did such a privileged kid end up saying things that? Let’s hope his ability to absorb information has improved over the years. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Polls show that he was the most unpopular/polarizing choice for Ontarians......but he has unique voter distribution advantages. Ford Nation may very well deliver several/many GTA seats - an area where PCs have not done well recently.......and the PCs are traditionally strong in rural areas. From that perspective, he may be the best choice. As for his polarizing image, he has been so disparaged and maligned by his critics that there's a big upside if he can shave off a few rough edges.

3 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

... he has been so disparaged and maligned by his critics that there's a big upside if he can shave off a few rough edges.

He was on CBC today saying he believes in Climate Change.  If he wants power enough, and I think he does, he may surprise us as to how 'flexilble' his morals are... for a hash dealer I mean.

22 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

He was on CBC today saying he believes in Climate Change.  If he wants power enough, and I think he does, he may surprise us as to how 'flexilble' his morals are... for a hash dealer I mean.

I believe in climate change too. That doesn't mean I think carbon taxes or some complicated cap and trade system is going to make a damn bit of difference to it.

13 minutes ago, Argus said:

I believe in climate change too. That doesn't mean I think carbon taxes or some complicated cap and trade system is going to make a damn bit of difference to it.

Not sure why you want to change this into a separate but related topic.  Good to hear you believe in Climate Change.

20 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

You've been calling Hillary Clinton a murderer for years, even though that story was completely debunked. You'd think this much more suspicious story would pique your interest, especially after you went to bat for them by calling the crack video a fake and then wound up having them make a fool of you when it turned out to be real.

I said the video was fake, I don't remember. But let's get back to doug, instead of using this forum to rip his dead brother. 

Edited by PIK
  • Like 1

What Wynne and Horvath can't do is make this an election campaign fought on Rob Ford's drug issues. It's well and good to do it on an anonymous message board, but it'll be seen as a huge low blow to go after his relationship with his late brother. 

So far they've just been trotting out the tired narrative of cuts, and we can't have cuts. Says the government that hasn't been able to balance their books in 15 years in power. 

It wasn't his brother who said the police and the Toronto Star were conspiring to fabricate evidence against Rob. That was Doug, who enabled and encouraged his brother to stay on as mayor, even though it was clear he needed help.

But if you think it shows character to blame the police and the media when you're caught breaking the law, I guess there's no debating with you.

17 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

It wasn't his brother who said the police and the Toronto Star were conspiring to fabricate evidence against Rob. That was Doug, who enabled and encouraged his brother to stay on as mayor, even though it was clear he needed help.

But if you think it shows character to blame the police and the media when you're caught breaking the law, I guess there's no debating with you.

Whatever dude. If you think that's the narrative that's going to sink Ford. Good luck. 

I'd love to see Wynne accuse Ford of enabling his dead brother's drug habit.

That'll be campaign ad gold. 

Edited by Boges

28 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

No one in the above discussion has said any such thing that I have read. You must admit, it's hard to contain oneself when presented with an opportunity to slag a public figure one hates. That's especially true on an anonymous political forum.

The most bizarre response to Ford’s win was a tweet from the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, featuring a photo of a laughing Doug Ford with a fire alarm edited in. The photo was captioned, “We’re gonna need your help,” with a link to a fundraising page.

On the page, there was no information about Ford, nor his apparent secret plan to erode civil liberties. A CCLA representative was unavailable for an interview to explain.

Usually, when fear-mongering about politicians kicks into gear, we at least get a half-true sentiment to fuel it. With Ford, the “independent, non-partisan” CCLA thinks it’s enough to say, “Look at him, now give us money to stop him.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4079428/andrew-lawton-doug-ford-derangement-syndrome/

Edited by capricorn
  • Like 1

The carbon tax isn't much of a benefit to those who have to fork over for another tax most of us cannot afford.

I guess Ford Derangement Syndrome is in full swing ; so why is the left feeling so threatened by Doug Ford, is it because he's a conservative who just might win.   I see the 'social conservative narrative is being trotted out too., although it's never meant anything in provincial politics,.  Doesn't matter though, it fits the narrative and if the Toronto Star is disturbed then having him as leader is worth it.

BOOM!!! Populist platform plank that gets my vote. 

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/ford-let-the-market-dictate-when-it-comes-to-cannabis-alcohol-sales-1.3687669

PC leader Doug Ford says "let the market dictate" when it comes to cannabis and alcohol sales in Ontario.

The newly-minted party leader first told Ryan and Jay on The Rush Monday, that he has always believed the market should dictate, no matter what it is - real estate, cannabis, liquor.

Speaking with Evan Solomon Tuesday afternoon, Ford elaborated.

"I don't like monopolies," he says.

Ford says when it comes to alcohol, he finds it an unfair process for the government to choose which retailers can sell beer and wine.

"You can't pick your favourite retailers and say you get to distribute wine and beer," he says. "If you're going to do it one way, go full blown."

Last month, the province announced that an additional 87 grocery stores would be selling beer and wine in April, in addition to the 200 that already stock the products.

The LCBO monopoly is a travesty. The idea we need a "smart serve" cashier at only LCBO hours at a select few grocery stores is stupid. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, scribblet said:

The carbon tax isn't much of a benefit to those who have to fork over for another tax most of us cannot afford.

The alternative is rationing. Do you really prefer that? At least with the carbon tax, that revenue could be used to help transition into nuclear power, if the government could be persuaded to. The rationing choice would be expensive and bureaucratic.

Edited by Queenmandy85

9 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The alternative is rationing.

I was watching a video by Roger Scruton, the British academic, talking about climate change, and he had basically the same view as I and a lot of conservatives. That international cooperation isn't going to work when you have to deal with countries which are thoroughly corrupt, self-interested and don't abide by the rule of law anyway. You are not going to hold Russia, China or India, or a lot of other countries, to some artificial limit a to how much power they can generate or how they can generate it. 

Only technological innovation is going to do anything to reverse CO2 emissions by any substantial degree - or a huge recession or depression, I suppose. I bet Ford would agree with that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The alternative is rationing. Do you really prefer that? At least with the carbon tax, that revenue could be used to help transition into nuclear power, if the government could be persuaded to. The rationing choice would be expensive and bureaucratic.

Rationing what?   Carbon taxes do nothing to stop emissions, they are just a Ponzi scheme to squeeze the taxpayer.